Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 04:05 AM   #1
Ashen
Ashen knows what time it isAshen knows what time it isAshen knows what time it isAshen knows what time it isAshen knows what time it isAshen knows what time it isAshen knows what time it isAshen knows what time it isAshen knows what time it isAshen knows what time it isAshen knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Shiny Casing

i was getting annoyed (like lots of people here) and i didnt want to take my machine apart, and being a jeweller, i have this;

its like a rubber sandpaper: but because its in a block, its quite easy to be precise. I also covered the actual screen with some paper to catch any debris.

anyway - it worked nicely for me, and you can use it to clean your jewellery too!

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-CFK
A medium/soft rubber block (approx. 3 1/4" x 2") impreg- nated with an abrasive. Can be cut into a required shape or used in the block form. Suitable for cleaning an area of a surface or simply to create a satin finish.
Ashen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Thanks for this tip! I am intrigued as the shiny bevel bothers me, too.

How easy is it to create a matte/satin finish with this "rubber sandpaper"? Just a couple swipes, or do you have to work it for a while? And is there much dust/debris?
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I've never thought of using mine. I just may do it now that my T1 is older.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Cryptopsy
Death metal!
Cryptopsy began at the beginning.

Can you post a pic of the result please?
Cryptopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
Ashen
Ashen knows what time it isAshen knows what time it isAshen knows what time it isAshen knows what time it isAshen knows what time it isAshen knows what time it isAshen knows what time it isAshen knows what time it isAshen knows what time it isAshen knows what time it isAshen knows what time it is

ooh, ok -

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=60dee836af

and

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=1&theater

i've set it as public, let me know if you cant see it

Last edited by Ashen; 08-10-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Ashen

i'd say the brown one is the best one, as its quite fine -

no - not much debris, and very quick - a couple of wipes, and the worst is gone
Old 08-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
altruizine
Senior Altruist
altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML, Onyx Boox Note Pro
Thanks for the tip, the result looks great!

A few more questions:

Did you apply the abrasive block wetly or dryly?

Did you manage to polish the inner bezel (the surfaces slanted towards the touch screen) as well?
altruizine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
Cryptopsy
Death metal!
Cryptopsy began at the beginning.

The resolution of the pics is not very high, but it seems to me the result looks awesome! How satisfied are you? Is the result as if it could have been in the store like this?

I'm not a jeweller and I don't have a block like that. Do you think I could use a fine grit sandpaper to do the same? Maybe wrap it around something to make it easier to handle?
Cryptopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:44 AM   #9
Ashen

Quote:
Originally Posted by altruizine View Post
Thanks for the tip, the result looks great!

A few more questions:

Did you apply the abrasive block wetly or dryly?

Did you manage to polish the inner bezel (the surfaces slanted towards the touch screen) as well?
apologies for the late reply, my notifications and/or emails were playing up

dry dry dry....

you can polish the inner bezel, i did a bit, and because the edges of the block can be very precise it was fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptopsy View Post
The resolution of the pics is not very high, but it seems to me the result looks awesome! How satisfied are you? Is the result as if it could have been in the store like this?

I'm not a jeweller and I don't have a block like that. Do you think I could use a fine grit sandpaper to do the same? Maybe wrap it around something to make it easier to handle?
i am REALLY happy with the result, i liked the block as its not likely to slip, and its not a big investment (much cheaper than a decal).

The grain (?) left is finer than the grain in the buttons block, but its just a fine matt now, and not shiny
Old 08-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #10
altruizine
Senior Altruist
altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML, Onyx Boox Note Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen View Post
apologies for the late reply, my notifications and/or emails were playing up
Thanks a lot for your reply! And the answer came just in time: I had already ordered the abrasive block you recommended (from Amazon) – and it should arrive today or tomorrow. :-)
altruizine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I found the solution to the shiny bezel was to get a red or a white T1. The red actually looks quite nice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:12 AM   #12
nugstar
nugstar doesn't litternugstar doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1 AMR
My solution: an uncut A4 sheet of matte vinyl sticker from ebay. Cut to size and apply. Total cost: $2.50+time to trim.
nugstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I found the solution to the shiny bezel was to get a red or a white T1. The red actually looks quite nice.
I have a white T1 and it's still too annoyingly shiny for me so I bought a skin.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen View Post
i liked the block as its not likely to slip, and its not a big investment (much cheaper than a decal).
More expensive than a silicone skin.

I took the silicone skin off my T1 the other day... I'd forgotten how darn slippery the device feels without it.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #15
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
My foolproof solution ?

Ignore it ........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote