Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Kindle D01100 Wi-Fi: $39 on Cowboom

This is the cheapest Kindle offered currently and goes for $69-89 new on Amazon.

The "pre-owned" Kindle offered here is $39. Cowboom doesn't specify whether or not this is the model without ads.

Since this is actually a site run by Best Buy, "pre-owned" probably means returned to the store within a thirty-day period. All reports I've read on "pre-owned" Cowboom products have praised the condition of the merchandise received, suggesting it is either refurbished or as-new.

Here's the link.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-01-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Clarity.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It's also used, making it not such a great deal.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
FURTHER INFORMATION:

Please be aware that these are all pre-owned and have various signs of wear/use.

I saw NO refubished units (a different category from Used.) I saw ONLY Used items.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-01-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The term refurbished in the original post was meant to show clearly that the Kindles had been "pre-owned" (in the lexicon of marketing euphemisms) in the sense of bought and returned to the store within a 30-day period and examined, tested and/or repaired when necessary.

I take this to mean the Kindles qualify as refurbished as that word is defined in Merriam-Webster's.

To merely say that the product is "used" would suggest it might have been owned for an extended period of time.

Based on the feedback I've read here and elsewhere about Cowboom (i.e., Best Buy), their disclaimer as to defects and signs of use doesn't really apply. Nevertheless, I'll change the wording of the OP to respect your reading of the product page.

MR members' reports on "pre-owned" PRS-350s from the same site suggested that the e-readers they received from Cowboom were as new despite the exact same "pre-owned" description and disclaimer on the product page.

My unverified theory is that the products offered by Cowboom are Best Buy returns.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-01-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Clarity.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps so.

These are their Produce Definitions, quoted in full below:

New Items

This item may be factory sealed or in brand new condition without the factory seal. The product is in unused new condition and functioning perfectly. Any originally provided parts, manuals, accessories, warranty cards, or other items that were provided with the unit will be contained in the original packaging.

Refurbished Items
Refurbished items are processed by one or more third-parties to test and restore their condition. The goal is to restore the product to a standard as close to its original condition as possible.

A-B-C grading scale
If a refurbished item has been graded on the typical scale, one can safely assume it’s in full working condition. The A-B-C scale simply refers to its appearance:
A: Appearance is close to new
B: Appearance may show very slight signs of wear
C: Scratched or bearing some other cosmetic imperfection

A Factory Refurbished product has been refurbished by the actual manufacturer.
Refurbished describes items that are refurbished by a 3rd party company that specializes in repair of those devices. A 3rd party uses their own standards of refurbishment and quality control. Because this process operates outside of the original manufacturer, manuals and software are typically not included. These are usually available for download from the manufacturer’s web site.

Pre-owned Items
Pre-owned describes products that have been purchased, opened, and operated. Then, for a multitude of reasons, from buyer’s remorse to functionality, the product is returned to the store. When a pre-owned product is processed by Cowboom, it is tested for power and basic functionality. When buying an item that is not brand new, ask yourself these questions:

1. Factory refurbished or Refurbished items frequently come in store-like packaging. This is usually noted in the item’s description.
2. How much visible wear are you comfortable with? Pre-owned items and certain grades of refurbished items may have visible imperfections. If you are planning on putting the item in a protective case, this may not be as important to you. Or if you are particularly hard on your items, the cosmetic condition may not be as important as having a device that works. Usually, the more scratches on an item, the better the deal you can get

----
Don
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

A nice distinction, Dr. Drib. Thanks for verifying my theory as to the length of time of previous ownership, and for winnowing down the definition of refurbished, which I'll use advisedly from now on.

However, I'd point out that many of Apple's refurbished products are actually pre-owned as described on the page you've just quoted -- after all, a product only requires "freshening" if it is not "fresh" already. Moreover, the amount of time the refurbished product might have been used is actually longer when Apple employs the term.

It would appear that pre-owned as used here is not a synonym for used because it refers specifically to returns within the 30-day period. Used is a far wider term and can entail far more use and abuse than is likely within thirty days.

In that sense your first post is correct, but Nate the Great's is not.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
We cowboom PRS-350 buyers were originally clued in by poster conanfan to check the product grade. "7" seems to be their highest, which was recommended by conanfan and which I bought (and probably the others as well) and found no defects. The currently available Kindle ones you linked to are grades 5 ("Some scratches and/or signs of use") and 4 ("Significant scratches or scuffs").
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

That definition or distinction applies to that website.

So....take it all with a grain of salt.

As well: Some people could care less about the cosmetic condition of a unit. I personally wish that cosmetic blemishes/scuffs/etc. didn't bother me...but, unfortunately for me, these things do.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-01-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
conanfan
Me Lurk Here Long Time
conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis; PW1+3g; Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro; KF HDX 7;
I have purchased "5"s from Cowboom before, and they have been perfectly fine (maybe a slight scuff or scratch on the edge of the device) but I don't think I would take my chances with a "4." Still, the device is guaranteed to work, and cowboom has a very robust 30-day return policy if you are dissatisfied with the condition. I have used the return process myself, and it was very easy.

All that being said, if you are willing to go the auction route on the cowboom site, you can beat the $39 price, or even get a good deal on one of the touch models.
conanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Thanks for the advice. The number was higher earlier today, but everything you've said is valuable and good to know.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-01-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
conanfan
Me Lurk Here Long Time
conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, I'm not talking about ebay - I'm referring to cowboom's auctions which are run on its own site. You can get some remarkable deals that way. Just follow the link in my post above, which shows all the various Kindles available via auction on Cowboom, including their condition. The same return policy applies as with straight purchases.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #12
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

You must have read my reply in the first sixty seconds it was posted. I assumed you were talking about ebay very briefly, realized you weren't and deleted that sentence immediately after. I wouldn't expect you to have noticed, since I probably changed it while you were in the middle of replying.

I understood you were talking about Cowboom, CF, and I thank you for your tip.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-01-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
conanfan
Me Lurk Here Long Time

No problem - happy hunting!