Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

Kobo Sketch

A thread to discuss this specific feature.

As I am still waiting for my KT (since June 16) I was curious about this feature. So, here is what I found on YouTube:

[4:50]

[3:30]

Last edited by Benjamin Buford; 07-17-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I had a go with it. I am no van Gough so I ended up with a scrawny looking stick figure trying to read a book. Don't think I'll use if very often, my kids might - as long as they have clean hands!
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Buford View Post
As I am still waiting for my KT (since June 16) I was curious about this feature.
Where are you? Over 1 month is a very long time to wait. How are you coping? Where did you order from?
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
I've actually made practical use of this. Since my Kobo comes with me whenever I leave the house, I've found that it's great for quickly jotting down addresses and numbers.
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:26 AM   #5
Deniseg53
Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.Deniseg53 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo
What a great idea, Toastedpine!
Deniseg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastedpine View Post
I've actually made practical use of this. Since my Kobo comes with me whenever I leave the house, I've found that it's great for quickly jotting down addresses and numbers.
Lol I did the same thing. Also Its great for creating a pasteable signature to your email documents if you need one or to sign a document with out having to print it and rescan or fax it. Also Tamings suggestion of a stylus has much forward motion with this new tweak.

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:58 AM   #7
MechR
Connoisseur
MechR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Gah, why is it saving as JPEG? These kinds of pictures (low-color-count pixel art) are exactly what PNG is made for!

Other than that, is there an Undo and/or Eraser tool? AFAICT from the videos, the only two buttons are for Save and Reset.

Last edited by MechR; 07-19-2011 at 03:07 AM.
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
Feisty
Book Nerd Extraordinaire
Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Original and Kobo Touch
Custom covers. Sort of.

I've found it amusing to make my own "covers" to display when in sleep mode. Just draw a picture and then open it before putting the device to sleep - the picture appears where usually a book cover does. Totally pointless really, but I've managed to make a few silly stick drawings that look sort of cute. And I suppose it could be used to keep people from seeing the covers of books you're reading (if you've got something to hide...)
Feisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feisty View Post
I've found it amusing to make my own "covers" to display when in sleep mode. Just draw a picture and then open it before putting the device to sleep - the picture appears where usually a book cover does. Totally pointless really, but I've managed to make a few silly stick drawings that look sort of cute. And I suppose it could be used to keep people from seeing the covers of books you're reading (if you've got something to hide...)
Very creative!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechR View Post
Gah, why is it saving as JPEG? These kinds of pictures (low-color-count pixel art) are exactly what PNG is made for!

Other than that, is there an Undo and/or Eraser tool? AFAICT from the videos, the only two buttons are for Save and Reset.
Not to sound Flippant, but whats the difference between png and jpg?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #11
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Co...EG_and_PNG.png for a really good comparison between png and jpg.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #12
MechR
Connoisseur
MechR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Not to sound Flippant, but whats the difference between png and jpg?
Jpeg compression is lossy (i.e., it reduces filesize by reducing quality), whereas png is lossless. Because of this, png usually has larger filesize, but in certain cases it can be smaller. (For instance, MS Paint doodles, or screenshots of text.)

Check out when to use jpg versus gif:
http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/misc/jp.../JpgVsGif.html

Png is similar to gif, except it supports more colors and partial transparency. (No animation though, except unofficially in Firefox and Opera.)
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #13
HD10180
HD10180 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
This basic nice add on sketch application reminds me of similar program I wrote back the old time before the internet even exists! It was more used to draw something and save it on the caller's device as a data message with the sketch attached! Could use it though to take some quick notes, it comes handy when you need it!

Last edited by HD10180; 07-19-2011 at 11:16 PM.
HD10180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I just had a thought. The sketch program would be great for getting author autographs! Those of us who know how to strip DRM could easily save the resulting file and include it in a book's file, while the rest have a nice text autograph. They could even collect a few and make a little autograph booklet.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #15
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
I just had a thought. The sketch program would be great for getting author autographs! Those of us who know how to strip DRM could easily save the resulting file and include it in a book's file, while the rest have a nice text autograph. They could even collect a few and make a little autograph booklet.

thats a great idea... actually... except I notice a lot of people when using touch input devices to sign tend to use undue preasure to sign and will even wack the dots, (ruins pens this way too) so the potential for damage is there.. but it certainly is a great idea...

I think though that we can eliminate the risk by mentioning care to be used when signing if possible?