Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Ursula LeGuin

I keep hearing her name as being on a par with the greats of scifi, but for some reason I've never read her. I think it's because the blurb on the back made her books out to be some kind of fantasy rather than scifi - the two are often lumped together by the ignorant.

So all you ULG fans, where would be a good place to start?

TIA
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
My personal favourite by here is _The Lathe of Heaven_ which I believe works well as an introduction (and is matched by the surprisingly well-done PBS movie adaptation which is now available on DVD from a broadcast tape which they managed to find).

Her fantasy is also quite good, esp. the Earthsea Trilogy.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
I am a die hard fan of ULG, she has really unique writing and worth the read.
If you like fantasy, Wizard of Earthsea would be a good start. There are some 5 novels in the Earthsea series, I like the first 3 and the story book - Tales from Earthsea.
If you are into scifi - get the Hanish series! Not like "Earshsea", some of them may be read in a random order where others should be read in order. Probably the best book to start is "Left Hand of the Darkness" which I rate as one of my all time favorites. The book won Hugo and Nebula award and those prizes are well deserved.
Rocannon's World, Planet of Exile, City of Illusions should be read in that order as the last book is another superb read.
The Dispossessed - got Nebula, Hugo and Locus award, should I add anything for that book?
The Word for World is Forestis a novella and a must read as well...
Hope you'll enjoy them
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
My favorite is The Lathe of Heaven.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
My favorite is The Lathe of Heaven.
Ditto! Totally & absolutely mind blowing.

Seconded by Left Hand of Darkness.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
My personal favourite LeGuin is Always Coming Home, which is kind of a multimedia reconstruction of an anthropological survey of a post-apocalyptic future California society, complete with accompanying music CD. But I admit it's not for everyone.

For a nice intro to her various styles and themes of writing, I recommend her short story collection A Fisherman of the Inland Sea, which is a fairly broad representative sampler of the sort of thing she writes about in greater detail, including an Ekumen tale set in one of her major universes. It's relatively recent, so should hopefully be fairly easy to find at least on library shelves.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #7
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
My personal favourite LeGuin is Always Coming Home, which is kind of a multimedia reconstruction of an anthropological survey of a post-apocalyptic future California society...
Her parents were the well known anthropologists Alfred and Theodora Kroeber who wrote Ishi, Last of His Tribe about the last Yahi Indian.

There was a public TV adaptation of The Lathe of Heaven around 1980. It was really good despite bad special effects, but avoid at all costs the more recent cable TV version with James Caan. It completely misses the point of the whole story. In fact it's moral seems to be the exact opposite of LeGuin's intent.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:23 AM   #8
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I read The Dispossessed when I was fourteen or fifteen. It deeply affected me, though I never knew who the author was or what the book was called. (I couldn't remember.) I found it again last year. The second reading didn't live up to my expectations, but I think that's got more to do with puberty than the quality of the book.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:05 AM   #9
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
I read only The Left Hand of Darkness, shortly after it was published. It made me a great impression, for its literary value for a somehow new approach to science fiction and for the gender tints it carried (very soft and catching compared with what went around in those days). My interests drifted somewhere else and new stars caught my reading eye. I still have very nice images of that only reading. A peculiar sense of warm, tender, naked essence, literally naked, against the cold, dark emptiness of space. And the deep knowledge and understanding of snow, that for a mountaineer like me sounded very true, and very readable.

I recommend it strongly.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:17 AM   #10
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
My favorite ones by her are The Left Hand Of Darkness, The Disposssed, The Earthsea Trilogy, and The Lathe Of Heaven, Any Of these would be a good place to start.

BTW, for those whio are not aware of it the K stands for Kroeber, as in Alfred L. Kroeber, who is by many condsired to be the father of modern anthropology. So it is no wonder that many of her themes in her works are sociological in nature.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:17 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
One of the books in the Earthsea Trilogy actually won a National Book Award in Children's Fiction in the early '70s.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #12
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Her parents were the well known anthropologists Alfred and Theodora Kroeber who wrote Ishi, Last of His Tribe about the last Yahi Indian.

There was a public TV adaptation of The Lathe of Heaven around 1980. It was really good despite bad special effects, but avoid at all costs the more recent cable TV version with James Caan. It completely misses the point of the whole story. In fact it's moral seems to be the exact opposite of LeGuin's intent.
I saw an interview with LeGuin (when the 2nd version was being announced) - she had fond memories about the early production - actually helped out with it herself - and described how they had to fake the nuclear special effects using (if I remember her words correctly) essentially melting crayons - just like those science fair crayon-powered volcanoes. They made it on a shoe-string budget - had no money for high power special effects. Which is just as well - the real special effects were cerebral.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #13
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Her parents were the well known anthropologists Alfred and Theodora Kroeber who wrote Ishi, Last of His Tribe about the last Yahi Indian

Sorry about that BenG. Was half asleep this morning. did not catach that you have already mentioned the fact about her parents.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:16 AM   #14
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Thanks, everyone. Sounds like I'd better go looking for "The Left Hand of Darkness" and "The Lathe of Heaven" at an ebook store near me.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you want a short book to start, I suggest The Word for World is Forest. It is also available as an 192-page paperback, but works of this size are very suitable for ebook readers. It is a bit expensive on a per word basis at $9.99 though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote