Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Finally, Ipad 3G is here

Finally, the long awaited Ipad with 3G arrived yesterday via Fed Ex. I can't tell you how much I missed my Kindle that I sold on Ebay earlier in the month! So let's see, my first impressions:
Yes, it is beautiful, sleek, and feels quite solid in my hands.
I would say it's about 3/4 the overall size of my 13" laptop so nice for taking on cramped places like public transportation.
I had already purchased the Griffin book holder, so in it went right away! Very classy and corporate looking for any office environment. Even in the leather book holder, it weighs in at only 2 pounds! Nice
Took about ten minutes for it to sync up with Itunes on my computer and it was ready to go. Thank goodness it came charged and was at 91% so spent all afternoon testing out all the apps and such.
When it sync with my computer, it automatically downloaded my email info, so was able to check emails without any configurations. I like that!
I used the Skype app and called my daughter in Portland, Or. and the audio was excellent on both ends.
It's too heavy for comfortable bedtime reading on my back. If I was sitting up, then could prop it up on my legs for reading, then it would be fine. Also the Ipad is "slippery" to hold in that position too.
My first impression when I opened up the Kindle app and signed in to Amazon was WOW!!! the book cover graphics are awesome and the books loaded up and I was happily reading The Lightening Thief in minutes. Way better than my dark grey Kindle ever was for reading.
As a reading device, I vote it a hit! I have my audio books downloaded on it too, so perfect for "outdoor" reading/listening. I can see where the glossy glass finish could be a distraction outdoors, but if you tilt it just a little, that seems to make a difference. Course we are having overcast rainy weather, so it read just fine out on my porch, but I think it is mainly for indoor reading or out under the porch roof.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Question

Griffin book holder? Link?
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Griffin book cover for Ipad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
Griffin book holder? Link?
http://www.griffintechnology.com/device_types/ipad

Extremely nice leather cover for your new Ipad, about $10 more than the "crappy" one Apple is pushing. To me, well worth to have a classy well-made protection for my new Baby :-)

BTW, lots of folks are bemoaning the fact that Ipad won't play Adobe flash games like Farmville (facebook) or print, well, my "go around" solution was to purchase the Logmein app($30, ouch!) and use logmein.com account to control my home computer for both those functions. It's pretty slow and choppy for Farmville playing since you are going through logmein's server to your home computer, but in a pinch, it works! Printing was breeze though. I use Logmein when I am out of town and need to access my home business computer or when I need to access my mother-in-laws computer to help her with an issue. Logmein is free or you can pay for upgraded business version. Frankly the free version works just fine for what I want it for.

Last edited by MsAstoria; 05-01-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Hmm. I like my Apple cover very much. Don't know why you think it's "crappy". It protects the iPad, the stand feature is nice, it doesn't block any ports and it gives good grip.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
jharrison
jharrison began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch; iPad
Thanks for the heads up on the book holder. I needed something to use both horizontally and vertically while still being able to plug in my iPad. I also found a discount coupon code CJ110 for 15% off for anyone else interested.

Last edited by jharrison; 05-01-2010 at 08:01 PM.
jharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #6
MsAstoria
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
Hmm. I like my Apple cover very much. Don't know why you think it's "crappy". It protects the iPad, the stand feature is nice, it doesn't block any ports and it gives good grip.
Well, I do apologize for the language. I have to admit that I actually haven't seen the Apple cover in real life, but was going from description from another user who had both and lauded the Griffin one has a better quality one. sorry. actually the Griffin folds over to into a nice stand. I am actually typing this in an approximate 45 degree angle and find it quite comfortable to type in this manner. The cover/stand seems quite sturdy and non-slip on my desktop.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
My first impression of the apple cover was poor until I put the ipad in it. It is very nicely designed and works quit well with all the right areas protected.

The one feature its missing is close strap like the Griffin one has to make sure the cover stays closed.

I wonder whether any of these folio cases can protect an ipad from a drop. I went to office depot and purchased a 10 in neoprene netbook case. Comes with a carrying handle, zips closed and has an external pocket for the charger, 19.99. Its like a miniature very light weight notebook case. With the ipad case the device fits snug. Similar products were next door at best buy for 39.99 with the word ipad in the title and they weren't as good. For traveling, I'd strongly recommend one of the neoprene netbook cases for added protection over the folio holders.

Last edited by drofgnal; 05-02-2010 at 08:22 AM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I wonder whether any of these folio cases can protect an ipad from a drop.
Perhaps you could do an experiment and find out.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Device: prs600
My wife's arrived Friday also, all works well but I could not get her email to work correctly, I copied the settings from her iPhone, but no go, I also compared to the settings on my iPad and they are the same with the exception of the email address and password, so I do not know what gives.
cavi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3-g, apple, book reader, ipad, kindle