Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Apple iPad Site

Apple has the iPad up on their site with photos, a video, tech specs, etc.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Last edited by The-eBook-Reader; 01-27-2010 at 03:38 PM.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
thanks....bummer...Apple requires QuickTime, which last time I tried to install it, installs the iTunes software so none of it gets put on my systems as I've had issues with both in the past. Once was a time QT was really nice, now, not so gentile an app these days...

EDIT: I see they claim to allow the installation of QT alone now...we'll see what happens...it better not try and take over everything again like last time.

Last edited by brecklundin; 01-27-2010 at 06:57 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

neat...QT installed GREAT...and it let me make sure it did not take over the video/music apps and what not I already use...neat...

Anyway, interesting vido as the iPad does look nice in the video. Thing is they say "it's the best" about 100005 times but never get into why. I know, it's a marketing video so it does it's job. But after watching it, I see it is worth keeping an eye on, but as I don't see that as a device is it worth more then $250 to me. Now I don't care what mfg costs are or any of that, I am saying, to me, as it functions in the video, sans HWR and afew other things, the device is worth no more than $250 to me and that would have to be with the 3G option AND Wifi. There is no chance a 64GB version is worth $400 more than the 16GB basic version...it's the same device and even with a flash based memory in those sizes not being as cheap as other options, the wholesale costs are not near that price differential. But without a browser that supports Flash and a few other items lacking, I just don't see it...

I will say they ebooks looked nice on the panel and I am assuming one can customize the background color as well as manually adjust the backlight to taste. I suspect many folks get eye strain because they don't adjust their LCD for the ambient light as well as their eyes.

Anyway, it is a nice looking device for sure...but won't be more than of causual interest to me. Given a choice between the iPad and the Entourage Edge, the Edge wins in my book.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
How many times did someone say the iPad is a "magical device"? It's not magic, it's technology.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
How many times did someone say the iPad is a "magical device"? It's not magic, it's technology.
But. But. But. It's a 'magical' technology!

Derek

(I'm hoping that actual customer use of the iPad will generate full-size, 64K-color 3-D holograms of rainbow unicorns to appear - each one capable of granting an unlimited number of wishes to the owner. )

Last edited by delphidb96; 01-27-2010 at 07:51 PM.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post

I will say they ebooks looked nice on the panel and I am assuming one can customize the background color as well as manually adjust the backlight to taste. I suspect many folks get eye strain because they don't adjust their LCD for the ambient light as well as their eyes.

Anyway, it is a nice looking device for sure...but won't be more than of causual interest to me. Given a choice between the iPad and the Entourage Edge, the Edge wins in my book.
i read in the specs somewhere that the back lighting can be adjusted int eh settings. I'd have to see it first hand. What would be nice is adjustments made on the fly while reading via a pop up. doesn't sound like thats what it has.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
It is a magical device. Just like a performance by a magician it creates the illusion of superior technology through good looking design and the continuous beatings of the hype drums everywhere.

Definitely not a bad product, but no big deal. And since it is not a full blown computer, I would never consider buying it.

Last edited by HansTWN; 01-27-2010 at 08:59 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
i read in the specs somewhere that the back lighting can be adjusted int eh settings. I'd have to see it first hand. What would be nice is adjustments made on the fly while reading via a pop up. doesn't sound like thats what it has.
Darn, that is what I got from the bit of hunting I tried. I will say I researched this thing more than I have any previous device apple device, maybe it is just the post CES info overload, but I just don't see "it". Nice, but falls as short as previous slate PC's we seen over the years. The slate devices just always seem a couple steps out of sync with the current state of technology including in the realm of pricing.

Oh, well, at least the big ta-do about this thing is done...the apple users can buy it and have their fun...
Old 01-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
surrealmind
Connoisseur
surrealmind began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color CM7, EB 1150, TC1100
Quote:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke. But is it sufficiently advanced?
surrealmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:17 AM   #10
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
They have posted the actual presentation (not just the demo)
http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...ent/index.html

Two rather surprising points I've noticed so far:

1) When Jobs mentions 10 hour battery life, he specifically says he can fly from SF to Tokyo (actually over 10 hours for those of us without a corporate jet, like Jobs) and watch video the whole time. That will either come back to haunt Apple later, or, this thing really has a huge battery in there.

2) When Scott Forstall is demoing a game, he specifically mentions ALL iPhone/iPod Touch apps will work on the iPad. That means, they will allow all those VOIP/Kindle/Stanza etc. apps on the iPad, or, kill them all for the iPhone/iPod Touch as well.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #11
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

3) The iBook app, Jobs specifically mentions that books can have black and white or color photos, or videos if the author wants. He also changes font sizes, and fonts. Then he says, "We use the ePub format...it is the most popular open book format in the world"
Old 01-28-2010, 12:56 AM   #12
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Yes, great, but what kind of DRM are they layering on? The publisher names they mention won't accept no-DRM, so we're left asking if it's ADE or something else...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:00 AM   #13
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Yes, great, but what kind of DRM are they layering on? The publisher names they mention won't accept no-DRM, so we're left asking if it's ADE or something else...
That is still unanswered. I didn't even know ePub supported all those on the fly font changes, or video. (although I know Threepress managed to hack it in as an experiment)

Last edited by kjk; 01-28-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:04 AM   #14
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Heh - ePub is a XML container format and anything you do with a web page can be done with it, more or less. It's a very powerful format which is currently used only for the basics.

And well, if it's using ADE it won't be so bad, if they're further fragmenting the market (and I see no mention of iBook for Mac/PC, either) with *another* form of DRM... (let along the issues if it can't read ADEPT ePub's...)
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:17 AM   #15
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
As they say in first words, this commercial is targeted at people who have no idea how computers work at all, so it's all "magical" to them.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote