Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
AHMavrick
Enthusiast
AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
Question JB lite or Aluratek?

Hope I spelled it right.

At the point of buying our first ebook reader. We are on a budget so the JB is very attractive price wise. We have seen the aluratek for about $10 more.

We don't really know enough even to ask specific questions about this. I don't even know what DRM means other than by conotation in the threads.

She likes mysteries and I like hard Sci Fi. Eventually I figure we'll get a second unit.

Looking for a reader only, not music yet if at all. I figure a cheap music digital play device we can dock would be a better option.

Last edited by AHMavrick; 12-05-2010 at 03:59 PM.
AHMavrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
My Two Cents

First, DRM is Digital Rights Management. It is how a seller prevents the buyer from copying the item and then distributing it. It also does other things that are not so desirable (only able to put book on a specific device, etc).

Both the JB Lite and the Aluratek Libre support Adobe Epub DRM (the most popular library DRM format) and (I believe) Adobe PDF DRM. The JB Lite (JBL) also supports Barnes and Noble Epub DRM, has a limited dictionary and doesn't have an mp3 player. Other than that there is not a lot of difference between the devices. Neither device supports Mobi DRM.

If you are going to be buying books from B&N, then you probably should get the JBL. Otherwise I don't see that it really matters. Ectaco has shown themselves to be more devoted to the JB line than Aluratek has to the Libre line (though that could be changing with the addition of the Libre Color).

There are my two cents. Hope this helps.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
GA Russell
Pre-season starts May 20
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
AHM, I vote for the JBL because I have been so happy with mine over the past eleven months.

With the new firmware, the JBL does a great job with pdf reflow. It reads three DRMs - ADE, eReader and B&N. It reads most formats, including ePub, mobi and rtf. It does not have an internal clock, so library books can be borrowed without time constraint.

And because it uses four AA batteries, the batteries can be switched out in less than five minutes. We all buy eight rechargeable batteries and a charger, and they should be good for a couple of years at least.

Last year Newegg put the JBL on sale ca. 12/13-15, which is when I got mine. I have a hunch they will do the same again this year.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
The reasons I decided on the JBL rather than the Aluratek when I bought my first e-reader two months ago are: (1) I didn't want to clutter up the e-reader with an mp3 player I didn't need, (2) I got the impression from these forums that Ectaco was better than Aluratek about updating firmware, and, the biggest reason, (3) I like the ease of using AA batteries. Following the recommendations here, I have two sets of rechargeable AAs, so one is always ready to pop into the device and there's no downtime.

I'm really happy with my choice.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
You'll notice that everyone here is happy with their device whether it's an Ectaco or Aluratek. I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever you choose, too. I'm a happy Aluratek owner, along with a nook, so the B&N advantage of the JBL wasn't an issue. BN is a good ebook source so that's a positive for the JBL. I can get books for the Aluratek from Sony, Kobo, the public library, Project Gutenberg, and Mobile Read among others. You might just want to watch for a good price and decide by which you can get for less. Ultimate Electronics was clearing out their Alurateks for $69.99 a few weeks ago. Not sure if the price still stands but if there's a UE near you it's worth checking out.

Last edited by wandalynn; 12-05-2010 at 05:39 PM.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #6
AHMavrick
Enthusiast
AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

In checking the UE website they only like the sony and pandigital. No other readers. Oh well.
AHMavrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:47 AM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
What's a "UE website"?
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:57 AM   #8
GA Russell
Pre-season starts May 20
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Ken, wandalynn in post #5 recommended a retailer called Ultimate Electronics.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
OOps, I didn't make the connection. My subconscious may be dyslexic, somehow I was
wondering if it was an "EU" related thing.

How can a retailer with a sales promotion of the "Alurateks"; "only like the sony and pandigital. No other readers."?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #10
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
OOps, I didn't make the connection. My subconscious may be dyslexic, somehow I was
wondering if it was an "EU" related thing.

How can a retailer with a sales promotion of the "Alurateks"; "only like the sony and pandigital. No other readers."?

Luck;
Ken
I think they were reducing their inventory to just Sony and Pandigital so the Aluratek stock was being cleared out. The Aluratek price wasn't advertized, I just lucked onto it in a physical store.

ETA: UA has only one physical store in Tucson and it's much smaller than any of the Best Buys in the area.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
mmread
Enthusiast
mmread has learned how to buy an e-book online

Wandalynn,

Did UE try to sell you an extended warrantee? How much was it from UE?
mmread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
wandalynn
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmread View Post
Wandalynn,

Did UE try to sell you an extended warrantee? How much was it from UE?

I don't remember being offered an extended warranty but I always say 'no' as soon as they start (exception nook) so it might not have registered if they did. If you mean how much was the reader, it was $69.99.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Aluratek

$89.99
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote