Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
Aeroraptor
Aeroraptor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Is my K2 International?

Hey all,
First off - I live in the Continental US and purchased my K2 with amazon knowing that. I've had absolutely no problems whatsoever using whispernet or buying books.

So, I've been reading the wiki about doing things like changing the screen saver pictures and replacing the font with a nicer looking one and I noticed that the guides require firmware 2.3; seeing as my K2 was (presumably) fresh off the lot I figured I'd have 2.3. I opened up the settings page and noticed at the bottom that it was 2.2.1. At this point, that number meant nothing to me.

I did a bit of googling around and found this page on amazon and found out that the version code 2.2.1 was used for the Global Wireless versions. I was a little confused but went ahead and downloaded the 2.3 update for said devices and applied it with no ill effects (that I have noticed anyways..) I have not yet tried applying any of those hacks/mods but I am now under the presumption that I need to get the international versions of them - is this a correct assumption?

In any case, is this "bad"? Should I call up amazon and demand a replacement or anything ridiculously drastic like that?

Thanks!
John
Aeroraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
This page seems to say that both the US and International will be updated to 2.3. It says if you are pre-2.3 how to determine whether to use the US or the International firmware.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200324680

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
Aeroraptor

Right, I got that - from my pre-2.3 experience I determined that the K2 was running 2.2.1, which is international, and from that I got the international version of 2.3. What I am primarily wondering is if my K2 itself is international (if there is such a thing?) and if I need to do anything about it.

Thanks though!
Old 12-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroraptor View Post
Right, I got that - from my pre-2.3 experience I determined that the K2 was running 2.2.1, which is international, and from that I got the international version of 2.3. What I am primarily wondering is if my K2 itself is international (if there is such a thing?) and if I need to do anything about it.

Thanks though!
Yes it is. The main difference is that the one you have (international) uses AT&T for whispernet so it (whispernet) will work out side of the US. However, if you stay in the US you won't really see much of a difference, unless you live in an area where AT&T signal sucks and Sprint's is awesome. And I pretty much don't think there are a lot of locations... but there are some.

I don't think you need to do anything about it, the International version is the only 6inch device they sell now. They discontinued the US only version.

BOb
Old 12-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
Aeroraptor

Aha well that explains it! It also explains why the whispernet coverage is only so-so - friends with sprint phones get excellent signals while those (and myself for a few months) with at&t get fairly poor signals. Whispernet doesn't much matter to me - I leave it off the vast majority of the time and copy over information via USB.

Thanks a bunch for the clarification!
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes it is. The main difference is that the one you have (international) uses AT&T for whispernet so it (whispernet) will work out side of the US. However, if you stay in the US you won't really see much of a difference, unless you live in an area where AT&T signal sucks and Sprint's is awesome. And I pretty much don't think there are a lot of locations... but there are some.

I don't think you need to do anything about it, the International version is the only 6inch device they sell now. They discontinued the US only version.

BOb
BOb,

I have the K2 (original crispy), now running the v.2.3 update. Are there any physical (internal) differences between the K2 and the NIV*? If I decide to travel overseas, is there any way to convert to the AT&T coverage short of buying another Kindle?

(* New International Version. Sorry - couldn't resist inserting a Bible joke there.)
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
To confirm which Kindle 2 you have, look at the serial number on the back at the bottom. If the number starts with B002, you have the original, Sprint, U.S. only K2. If the serial number starts with B003, you have new, AT&T, International K2.

B001 = Kindle 1
B002 = Kindle 2 U.S.
B003 = Kindle 2 International
B004 = Kindle DX U.S.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
To confirm which Kindle 2 you have, look at the serial number on the back at the bottom. If the number starts with B002, you have the original, Sprint, U.S. only K2. If the serial number starts with B003, you have new, AT&T, International K2.

B001 = Kindle 1
B002 = Kindle 2 U.S.
B003 = Kindle 2 International
B004 = Kindle DX U.S.
If you have a protective backing on your Kindle, here's another way you can find your serial number:

* push the "HOME" button
* push the "MENU" button
* select "settings"
* type "411"

Your serial number will be listed of the 411 Page.

To return to the main page, push the "BACK" button twice or push the "HOME" button once.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
If you have a protective backing on your Kindle, here's another way you can find your serial number:

* push the "HOME" button
* push the "MENU" button
* select "settings"
* type "411"

Your serial number will be listed of the 411 Page.

To return to the main page, push the "BACK" button twice or push the "HOME" button once.
Does that work on the DX as well as far as you know? I just added a wiki page on how to find out which Kindle you have and I'd like to add this alternate way.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Does that work on the DX as well as far as you know? I just added a wiki page on how to find out which Kindle you have and I'd like to add this alternate way.
Someone else will have to answer that for you. I have no idea. Sorry.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #11
Aeroraptor

Well sure enough my unit is a B003. I wonder if it has anything to do with AT&T giving amazon a better rate for all these wireless devices?

As for the 411 trick working with the DX - I have no idea but I imagine it would - something that simple would most likely be universal.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I have the K2 (original crispy), now running the v.2.3 update. Are there any physical (internal) differences between the K2 and the NIV*? If I decide to travel overseas, is there any way to convert to the AT&T coverage short of buying another Kindle?
No. The US Kindle 2 has a CDMA radio in it and the NIV has a GSM radio in it. They just don't work on the other system. The signaling and protocols are different. It is metaphorically like the difference between an AM and an FM radio.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 12-10-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:55 PM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
No. The US Kindle 2 has a CDMA radio in it and the NIV has a GSM radio in it. They just don't work on the other system. The signaling and protocols are different. It is metaphorically like the difference between and AM and an FM radio.

BOb
Well, crap. Ain't that a hill of $259.00 beans!

Thanks for answering, though!
Old 12-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #14
bloovis
bloovis began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Centro
Quote:
No. The US Kindle 2 has a CDMA radio in it and the NIV has a GSM radio in it. They just don't work on the other system. The signaling and protocols are different. It is metaphorically like the difference between an AM and an FM radio.

BOb
It's essentially the difference between a Sprint cell phone and an AT&T cell phone. Neither will work on each other's network.
bloovis is offline   Reply With Quote