Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
BrienBear
BrienBear began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Root or wait til 2.2(FroYo)

Hi there!!

I just got my Nook Color yesterday and was wondering...

Should I root it now, or wait until FroYo comes out for it? I have no need for the Kindle App and I can wait a month or so for Angry Birds since I have it on my Droid. Is there really any other MUST DO NOW reason to root it?

You guys are AWESOME! Thanks for any help!!!
BrienBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
There are many reasons to root besides access to the Kindle app and games. You're welcome to sit on the sideline and cheer for us.

Also, by rooting now you gain experience in troubleshooting and it makes it more meaningful as you follow the threads here and on XDA.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
BrienBear

Scion - I've been following your replies quite a bit and you've been a seriously great help! Thank YOU! And BTW - I will always cheer for you guys! Even if I'm not partaking in the technology, I love to see it grow!

I might just do it just to do it. I'm just afraid that when FroYo comes out, it'll mess some stuff up. But that is the nature of the beast, right?

One question - aside from Kindle+games, what are the other reasons to root? I've seen a bunch in different places, but I can't really get a solid grasp on what makes it worthwhile overall. I'm totally up for attempting it though - I'm a techie type so I love getting my hands dirty and finding out what makes things tick!
Old 12-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
If this is your first Nook, and you live near a Barnes and Noble, I'd wait and go try out the Read In Store features (there is also a coupon on the Nook for a free smoothie as well -- at least on the e-Ink there is, I bet its there on the NC, too).

You give up Read In Store if you root right now. I love Read In Store, but then again, I have an e-ink Nook as well. I did find the feature unreliable though -- in many stores right now, the usage of the store wifi is so heavy that you can't get the feature to work. Best to go off hours. I'm near a large number of stores, one of which has an eatery right next door -- it's possible to go have lunch while you connect to BN wifi and read in store! With the in-store coupons I have gotten free brownies, chocolates, and smoothies over the past year (I haven't checked -- do rooted NCs also lose the in-store coupons?)

However, if you do root, it's easy to get back to stock so you can upgrade later, just takes time. Whether it is worth it now depends on how you want to use the NC. I like to browse a few web pages in bed and the Dolphin browser with its configurable gestures, LastPass plugin and other goodies makes the NC a reasonable way to browse lying down.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, since you just got your device yesterday I'll give you a chance to discover the shortcomings or any features you wish were there. The decision to root comes down to what do you hope to gain from rooting. There are no stock answers that apply to everyone.

I used to do things on my phone that I do on my NOOKcolor now. On my phone I use WiFi all the time anyway, so now I use the unrooted NOOKcolor as a replacement for everything excepts calls.

zartemis is correct about losing the "read in store" feature. People have been confusing that with not being able to access wifi in the store and gain internet access. The only thing affected is being able to read a book for an hour. Of course if that's valuable to you, you may not want to root ever.

Last edited by SCION; 12-29-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
You give up Read In Store if you root right now.
There's gotta be an app for that......

I went into BN and used that feature for the first 4 day's straight (almost finished a novel)....while the rest of the family was Xmas shopping

Now I'm rooted......And I couldn't be happier....BN is too far away from me anyways.....

I'm loving the customization more than anything else......
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
BrienBear

Hmm... I'm totally leaning towards rooting then. I'm not seeing any downsides thus far other than not having the coupons, but I dont go into B&N all that much. This was actually an impulse buy! (I'm good at those! D'oh!)

Thanks guys!! You've convinced me!! (esp the customization part!)
Old 12-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
swallman
Enthusiast
swallman began at the beginning.

The NC becomes so much more useful once it has been rooted! The B&N interface isn't bad, but I like choices.
swallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
There's gotta be an app for that......
Getting Read In Store on rooted NCs would be nice! I'm hopeful that future hacking on this device will re-enable it (and, say, offer full nandroid backups).

Quote:
I went into BN and used that feature for the first 4 day's straight (almost finished a novel)....while the rest of the family was Xmas shopping
I've used it heavily over the past year. Probably finished 8 or 9 books in that time. Usually was reading two at a time -- when the hour limit ran out, I'd switch to the other book. Then come back a few days later and continue. Read In Store even saved my place in the book.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
debra jo
debra jo began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Rooting Nook Color

I just received my Nook Color for Christmas and am not real impressed with it. While searching reviews and comments on it I discovered info on rooting. Please bare with me...I am not a computer techie and do not totally understand how to "root". But....I would love to have the Android Market available among other features that the NC does not have now.

Can a novice root a NC? If not, where can I go to find someone who will root it? I imagine it wont be easy to find someone to do this since it voids the warranty (unless I hold them harmless to the device after rooting).

Really would like to do this but feel its too complex for little old me.

Any advice??
debra jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #11
Quistopher
Enthusiast
Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor CM7 7.0.3
I have seen some videos on rooting the NC on Youtube, it seems pretty straight forward, but I am a techie. I have had the NC for a little more than a week and I have thought about it but I am going to wait for the B&N update. It’s going to be in the next few weeks so hopefully that will resolve my major annoyances with the NC.

http://www.google.com/search?q=rooti...57ec8226d68507
Quistopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:46 AM   #12
BrienBear

Its rooted! Not a bad process at all! Thanks to everyone who helped me out!

For those who are trying to figure it out, follow these instructions - http://www.nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting

They helped me greatly!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #13
s52m3
Enthusiast
s52m3 began at the beginning.

Device: none
So those that are rooted, how will you get the Android 2.2 update when/if it comes out?
s52m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:33 AM   #14
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by s52m3 View Post
So those that are rooted, how will you get the Android 2.2 update when/if it comes out?
Flash back to stock ROM, factory reset, update, then re-root.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:05 AM   #15
Quistopher
Enthusiast
Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor CM7 7.0.3
These seem to be pretty good directions.
http://blogkindle.com/2010/12/read-k...on-nook-color/

When I first saw an article about this, I was hoping Amazon owned this blog, just to see the legal fireworks.
Quistopher is offline   Reply With Quote