Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #16
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
This had never occurred to me. When I go in for my (4 Tesla) MRIs, I typically try to read my pbooks while I wait within the room as they do the prep.

I know they're shielded. My earrings don't fly off until I get inside. But I wonder how close would be too close for the Kindle?
They shouldn't let you take it into the room at all because there is still a significant amount of metal inside the Kindle. Metal objects around a MRI magnet tend to want to fly across the room and very strongly if not permanently attach themselves.

Quote:
Would there be any lasting effects if I got too close?
Exposing the Kindle and any other electronic device to extremely powerful magnetic fields like in a MRI machine may damage it from inducing currents in the circuitry or interfering with the operation of inductors in the power supply.

I've had a few MRI scans to help a friend who is doing their PhD in medical imaging and the type of scan used was sufficient to induce slight involuntary muscle movement in my arms and shoulders.

Unfortunately you're going to have to get a paper book for reading in the MRI room.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #17
pen_sq
Enthusiast
pen_sq began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Unfortunately you're going to have to get a paper book for reading in the MRI room.
And maybe not even that, I understand a lot of books have anti-shrinkage radios glued into the spine. Still enough metal to cause a problem.
pen_sq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #18
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Correct AGAIN !

Quote:
Next time you're at church, you should do some testing with your Kindle and ask others if they have any issues with electronic devices. Bring a small AM/FM radio with headphones with you and see if radio reception is any different when actually inside the church.
Tiersten,

Thanks for that insight. I think you are right again. The cause was probably RFI and I cancelled my order for that EMF tester. You saved me $ 72 for that device.

I'll settle for my replacement K3 unit which I will get Wednesday. If it fails in Church, I just won't use it there. My NowBible is just as good for that purpose.

Every device has it's limits and we just have to live with them. Its even possible a lot of these "problems" reported here may be just user misjudgements or errors.

Had I known what you just posted here about RFI, I probably would not have ordered a replacement K3. Since I already did, I'll use the replacement instead.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #19
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
They shouldn't let you take it into the room at all because there is still a significant amount of metal inside the Kindle. Metal objects around a MRI magnet tend to want to fly across the room and very strongly if not permanently attach themselves.

Exposing the Kindle and any other electronic device to extremely powerful magnetic fields like in a MRI machine may damage it from inducing currents in the circuitry or interfering with the operation of inductors in the power supply.

I've had a few MRI scans to help a friend who is doing their PhD in medical imaging and the type of scan used was sufficient to induce slight involuntary muscle movement in my arms and shoulders.

Oh, well. As long as I can use it safely in the rest of the hospital, it's not so bad. I was glad you mentioned it, because they don't make me take off my jewelry until I'm about ready to get in, but thinking about it, I realize they do make me leave my cell in my room, long before then.

Sort of OT but always makes me smile (and wince too): There's a paper taped on the ceiling of the entry to it, with a red letter warning: "Last chance - ugly, painful things will happen..." and some words about it not being worth your shyness over intimate body piercings.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:10 PM   #20
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pen_sq View Post
And maybe not even that, I understand a lot of books have anti-shrinkage radios glued into the spine. Still enough metal to cause a problem.
The one I go to must be more shielded than most. Even though it's one of the 4Ts (most I think are still 1 - 1.5T), they don't have a problem with metals in the room, until you're at the opening of it.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #21
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Oh, well. As long as I can use it safely in the rest of the hospital, it's not so bad. I was glad you mentioned it, because they don't make me take off my jewelry until I'm about ready to get in, but thinking about it, I realize they do make me leave my cell in my room, long before then.
Yup. You should be fine with it in the rest of the hospital. You may need to turn off wireless though when you're actually inside. Some hospitals insist you do but others don't seem to mind.

Sorry to hear that you're in hospital though. Hope everything goes well.

Quote:
Sort of OT but always makes me smile (and wince too): There's a paper taped on the ceiling of the entry to it, with a red letter warning: "Last chance - ugly, painful things will happen..." and some words about it not being worth your shyness over intimate body piercings.
Ouch!! Yes. That definitely is a time not to be shy about telling the techs if you've got any piercings no matter where they are!
Old 09-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #22
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
The one I go to must be more shielded than most. Even though it's one of the 4Ts (most I think are still 1 - 1.5T), they don't have a problem with metals in the room, until you're at the opening of it.
Yes. Most MRI machines are at or under 1.5T. The ones above that are more advanced with better resolution and also significantly more expensive.