Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
pave
pave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Exclamation help! problem with registering used Kindle

Hi, I'm new to the kindle and I just bought myself the K2 US version from someone. I don't live in the US though. I understand that there's no way I can register it wirelessly. But the problem is I can't register the device's serial # via amazon.com as well. Is this because of my non-US IP address? Or it's simply that the device remains registered to the previous owner?

I'm freaking out now....please
pave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
pave

The guy told me it's a US version but he never registered it....got a friend to buy the device from the US. Anyway, the serial number begins with B003 and was bought 2 months ago. So, i figured it might be the international version.

Please kindly help me how I can register it under my amazon account. I tried registering it via "Manage your kindle" but it says "there was a problem registering you kindle....."
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
You need to contact Amazon. Start on the Kindle help page

There should be contact information.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Pave,

You shouldn't have any problem.

First, make sure the previous owner has unregistered the device.

Then go to the Manage Your Kindle page on the Amazon website. You'll see that you can register the Kindle in your name right on the page.

I was in a similar situation to yourself when I first got my Kindle. It was registered to the person in the US who ordered it for me. They unregistered it via the website, after which I was able to register it myself. No Whispernet is necessary, and you don't need to enter your address.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
No Whispernet is necessary, and you don't need to enter your address.
This doesn't seem to be entirely correct. Lots of users report, they can't use most of the 2.5 features, i.e. collections or password, as their readers aren't registered via Whispernet.
Same applies to me.
I've entered my data in the Amazon account.
I can purchase books on PC and sideload and read on Kindle.
I've done the USB hack and can browse Amazon's bookstore via USB/PC.
But I can't access the settings/features of 2.5.
I'll give the reginfo (manually entering the registration data into a file) a try later on...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
pave

Thank you all....looks like i need to do a bit of a track and trace work. Hopefully, i can fully enjoy reading soon. Will read free fetched news in the meantime.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Lots of users report, they can't use most of the 2.5 features, i.e. collections or password, as their readers aren't registered via Whispernet.
I never said otherwise. The question was how to register the device. Obviously, if you haven't got a wireless connection, you aren't going to be able to automatically receive updates.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
mgmeuller is right. It is not possible to register a US Kindle from outside the US or more accurately from outside the Whispernet coverage area. This is because your device has no way of synching with the registration details on your Amazon account.

If anyone knows how to apply the reginfo hack that would be one way of getting around the matter, that is, for those of us who have a US Kindle and reside outside the US.
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #9
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikspeare View Post
mgmeuller is right. It is not possible to register a US Kindle from outside the US or more accurately from outside the Whispernet coverage area.
This is not true. I successfully registered my Kindle here in Scotland, even though it has never been inside Whispernet range.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:46 AM   #10
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Mike L,

Note that I'm specifically referring to the US Kindle. It sounds like you have the DXi.This is easily verifiable by checking the serial number of your device.

In which case, according to Amazon's wireless coverage map, Scotland is totally covered: southern Scotland has 3G coverage (high speed) and northern Scotland has EDGE/GPRS coverage (at lower speed).

If you're in the northern area, you should at least get a weak enough signal to register.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:08 AM   #11
Mike L
Wizard

Sheikspeare,

No, I have the original US version of the Kindle 2. I bought it before the global version was available.

I can assure you that I have never had Whispernet switched on, but definitely registered the Kindle to my account, in the way that I described earlier in the thread. I've bought dozens of books from Amazon over the last year, and am reading them on the Kindle - something I wouldn't have been able to do if the Kindle wasn't registered to me.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:54 AM   #12
Sheikspeare
Groupie

Mike L,

As mentioned in this forum, there is a huge difference between setting up an Amazon account which anyone can do without a Kindle, and registering the device itself. That is to say, making your Kindle synch with the details of your Amazon account via Whisphernet

Further, it is perfectly possible to use a non-registered Kindle to read and buy books bought via your Amazon account. That was never in question.

Please check the Settings page of your Kindle to check who it is registered to. Incidentally, my Setting page looks like this:

Last edited by Sheikspeare; 05-19-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Problem uploading pic
Old 05-20-2010, 07:10 AM   #13
Mike L
Wizard

Sheikspeare,

I think we must be talking at cross-purposes.

Do you agree that you can go to Manage Your Kindle, click on "Register a new Kindle", and enter the device's serial number? And, at that point, the device will appear in the list of registered devices, both in Manage Your Kindle and when you purchase a book from Amazon for download to your computer?

That's all I'm claiming. Obviously, the fact of the device being registered won't show up on the Kindle Settings page. If the Kindle has never been in Whispernet range, it can't know that you have registered it.

For the same reason, the Kindle can't take part in Whispersync. It needs to communicate with Amazon's servers to do that. Nobody is saying otherwise.

I think I correctly answered the original question, which was how to register a US-only Kindle from outside the US.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #14
Sheikspeare
Groupie

Mike L,

I don't think we're talking at cross purposes at all. I think what was in question was very clear all along. I mean, asking if you can register a Kindle on an Amazon account is like asking if you can access the Internet from anywhere on the planet. At any rate, I think we've resolved it, and are in agreement over the crucial facts.

On another note, I (and I imagine mgmeuller too) was kinda of hoping you would turn out to be right. Sadly, my DX (and yours and others' too) remains unregistered.... And as things stand, a USB hack maybe the only non-wireless way to get round it.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #15
dfigueroa
La Guera en Manzanillo
dfigueroa is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2 Global
The only thing I can tell you is that with the s/n beginning with B003, it's a K2i. Mine is the same and I use it from Mexico, but it's registered in the US (where I was when I bought it).
dfigueroa is offline   Reply With Quote