Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-05-2008, 10:11 AM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Choosing btw Kindle and Paper versions of book

I have an informal formula for choosing between the Kindle and paper versions of the same book.

Generally, if the Kindle Version is within $2 of the used copy of the paper version (after shipping) then I go with the Kindle version. Although. the Kindle version is usually cheaper than the used version after shipping.

How do you guys decide?

I give the Kindle a $2 buffer because it has more value to me personally since I generally never resell books or share books. The Kindle version takes up no room in my apartment. I can read it right away. I can take it with me everywhere. Also, I can search it electronically. The drawbacks are that I can't resell it and there is a risk that Amazon might one day stop supporting the device. Also, despite being a pain to lug around and move from apt to apt, I used to like the idea of a big book shelf....but I've given that dream up now that I have the Kindle.

I think if I was the type that resold or shared books then I'd definitely favor the paper version by atleast $2.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I find the Kindle much more convenient, and easier on my eyes. Given the choice I'll always buy the Kindle version unless it's significantly more expensive. I don't resell or give away books, as you say. And, honestly, I've got far too many books shelved, stacked, piled and boxed up around here already.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
My goal is to mostly purchase ebooks (or audible.com audiobooks). There are some authors that I collect (Stephen King), for whom I will also buy a hard cover version. I've always had visions of having a library/office/reading room. I sort of have that but in a condo, space is at a premium. Most of my books are in storage.

Years ago, I sold a lot of paper books and audiobook tapes on eBay. Whatever I couldn't sell, I donated to my local library. I have a manageable number of paper books now.

Currently, I have 6 paper books I want to read but I find myself defaulting to the Kindle. I haven't read a paper book since I received my Kindle in late April.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Currently, I have 6 paper books I want to read but I find myself defaulting to the Kindle. I haven't read a paper book since I received my Kindle in late April.
Funny you mention that, it made me remember something. I was recently in the library to get a new card (moved recently) and saw Jim Butcher's new Dresden Files novel in hardback and snatched it up. I got it home, and set it on my nightstand, where it stayed until I took it back. As much as I wanted to read it, I wanted to read it on my Kindle even more.

I've got a couple of other books to get through, then I'll order it. So, I even passed up 'free in paper' vs buying it for my Kindle.

Last edited by carld; 07-05-2008 at 01:07 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I no longer purchase pbooks. The exception might be tech books that aren't available for Kindle and would be used as reference. And, Im not sure about that either since most tech books (for programming) I read while at my PC so if they are available as PDF I get those...

If I think the Kindle book is too much I won't buy it... just like I generally didn't buy pbooks that I thought were too much.

The funny thing is eBook versions of stuff like that is always cheaper.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I no longer purchase any paper books
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:15 PM   #7
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Egads!

My Kindle arrived in mid-February. I had just been reading The Collectors by David Baldacci on the flight home from England, so I quickly purchased its sequel, Stone Cold for the Kindle and read it. My intent was to make sure that the first book I read was one I was *really* interested in so that my evaluation would be based on the experience alone and not the content. Since that time, I have read 24 more books on the Kindle and 28 paper books.

I participate in a book swapping group and in two book rings, so I need to read enough paper books to keep up my obligations to those groups. I also have a huge number of TBR books in this house -- This is what they looked like in February:

... and sadly, there are now four stacks against the wall, all about waist high.

I have managed to stay out of the main-stream book stores, but I'm still a sucker for the used book stores in the area. We have several really good independents as well as the Half-Price Books & Records chain.

Here's what I've read on my Kindle so far (numbers are YTD):
  • 17. Stone Cold (19 February, Kindle) purchased @ Amazon
  • 20. Sheepfarmer's Daughter (29 February, Kindle) free @ Baen
  • 23. Snow Ball (3 March, Kindle) purchased @ Amazon
  • 25. Liaden Universe Companion, Vol. 1 (10 March, Kindle) purchased @ Baen
  • 28. Maelstrom (17 March, Kindle) purchased @ Amazon
  • 29. Deluge (21 March, Kindle) purchased @ Amazon
  • 31. Divided Allegiance (31 March, Kindle) purchased @ Baen
  • 34. Oath of Gold (5 April, Kindle) purchased @ Baen
  • 36. On Basilisk Station (12 April, Kindle) free @ Baen
  • 37. Stand By for Mars! (12 April, Kindle) free @ FeedBooks
  • 38. Danger in Deep Space (12 April, Kindle) free @ FeedBooks
  • 39. The Honor of the Queen (14 April, Kindle) free @ Baen
  • 44. Dead Until Dark (1 May, Kindle) purchased @ Amazon
  • 45. Dragon Harper (3 May, Kindle) purchased @ Amazon
  • 46. The Short Victorious War (8 May, Kindle) free @ Baen
  • 47. Reader and Raelynx (10 May, Kindle) purchased @ Amazon
  • 54. Emily of New Moon (19 May, Kindle) free @ MobileRead
  • 55. Black on Black (24 May, Kindle) free @ Baen
  • 56. Stars over Stars (25 May, Kindle) free @ Baen
  • 59. The Bobbsey Twins (06 June, Kindle) self-made
  • 61. Emily Climbs (12 June, Kindle) free @ MobileRead
  • 62. Soothsayer (14 June, Kindle) purchased @ Fictionwise
  • 63. In the Bleak Midwinter (19 June, Kindle) purchased @ Amazon
  • 64. A Fountain Filled with Blood (23 June, Kindle) purchased @ Amazon
  • 69. Stranger in a Strange Land, (2 July, Kindle) purchased @ Amazon
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:45 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Holy Cow Elsi (no pun intended)! I've given up TV for the summer and I still can't get through as many books as you do. You are truly a reading queen. I bow before your massive library.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #9
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I find this to be a very hard decision, every time.

I find if I have the Kindle version I will read the book much faster and am more likely to get it read within a reasonable time frame at all.

That being said, there are plenty of books that I really would prefer "future proof" copies of. It's easy for me to buy fiction in Kindle format, but when it's a book I may want to deal with again one day (David Bohm's "On Dialogue" for instance) I really have a hard time deciding. Unless there is just a huge price difference.

And still, I really want to be able to read it on my Kindle! AHHHH!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Kindle vs Paper

There are some books that I will always collect and keep in paper, hardback no less. James Michener, Ray Bradbury, early Stephen King. I had started a collection of Jennifer Chiaverini, and think I will complete the paper versions before I buy Kindle versions.
Does anyone else get a 'tingly' feeling when looking at a wall full of bound books?
But I get the same feeling looking at my Kindle. Because I KNOW whats waiting for me.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #11
lensman
lensman doesn't litterlensman doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500
I've been going pure Kindle if it's available.
lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:17 PM   #12
coross2
coross2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This is speculative for me as I am awaiting the delivery of my Kindle. The main reason I purchased it is that I have been going back and forth between the US and Europe for the last (approx) year. The price of English books in Europe is outrageous even if you don't consider the exchange rate. Buying them in the the US and shipping to Europe is similarly expensive. I am looking forward to being able to download ebooks at a reasonable cost and with relative ease (no whispernet there though). I am anxiously awaiting its arrival.....
coross2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:34 AM   #13
eBookNerd
Connoisseur
eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebookwise 1150, Kindle, Sony PRS 505
This strategy may not work for everyone, but I've been deliberately lagging behind on the bestseller lists. I find that if I'm about a month behind, most of the newly released novels I want to read become available for my Kindle.
eBookNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #14
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Availability, price, need to share, illustrations

Whether I go paper or Kindle depends on the above considerations.

1) some books are not available on Kindle--I read them in paper.
2) on rare occasion I have seen Kindle books for 9.99 and new paperbacks for less (presumably the Kindle price was set while the book was only available in hardback and hasn't "caught up" to a recent switch to paper. Come to think of it, I haven't bought any of these (have *lots* of unread books, both e and p) but if I did, I'd probably go paper. On the other hand, a book that is (legally) available free for the Kindle gets read on the Kindle--I don't see any reason to pay for the object when I can get the information for free.
3) if I need to share a book with my husband (recent purchase of "House Buying for Dummies" for example) I get in in paper. My husband doesn't have a Kindle of his own, and I have a hard time giving mine up for even a few hours at a time. :-)
4) if a book has important illustrations that won't show up well on the Kindle (frequently a judgement call without buying the Kindle book), I go with paper.

Another consideration that hasn't come up in the past but may well do so in the future--DRM is an issue, obviously. It seems to bother me less if I want a particular book, than if I want, say, a book in a particular genre but haven't settled on one yet, in which case I consult sites that sell non-DRMed books (or have free books) first.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #15
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Holy Cow Elsi (no pun intended)! I've given up TV for the summer and I still can't get through as many books as you do. You are truly a reading queen. I bow before your massive library.
If the books is good I can go thru it in about 3 days, I went thru the last Harry Potter book (Laugh all you want) in 4 days, Now keep in mind I have alot of time on my hands right now so that decreases significantly when I am back in the real world. But I would probably go with ebook over print because of convenience.

JJ

Last edited by jerryleejr; 07-07-2008 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Forgot the quote
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote