Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #511
MySony505
MySony505 doesn't litterMySony505 doesn't litter

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
What value have you set for pages in Settings - Reading Settings - Refresh the screen every? Try a smaller number, or even 1, if you want the screen to completely refresh with each page turn.
Tried that..still showing very slightly
MySony505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #512
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Ironic note:

Kobo just sent me an email with an offer "Buy MOM a Kobo eReader, get a FREE eBook!"

Do you think they could get me the eReader by Mother's Day?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #513
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
The apparent difficulty dealing with Kobo, is no obstacle to my getting a book for my new Aura if/(when?) it gets here. [All thanks to Alf.] Kobo can be as bad an ebook seller as it wishes, just so long as they don't drag down the eReader support dept. with them.

Luck;
Ken
"Liberating" Kobo books isn't the problem, it's their customer service when a book is faulty or cannot be downloaded. Rots of ruck with that. As I and others have posted, Kobo doesn't seem to understand legitimate complaints or is simply reluctant to resolve them. Fighting three or four months for a refund for a blank book, or one that will not download, is unacceptable.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #514
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
To present a counter-point: I have dealt with Kobo's customer service several times. In each case the matter was handled efficiently and to my satisfaction. This included a situation where their system represented one book as another. (It gets confusing when a compendium of five books has the same name as book two of the series.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #515
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
To present a counter-point: I have dealt with Kobo's customer service several times. In each case the matter was handled efficiently and to my satisfaction. This included a situation where their system represented one book as another.
Ditto.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #516
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
To present a counter-point: I have dealt with Kobo's customer service several times. In each case the matter was handled efficiently and to my satisfaction. This included a situation where their system represented one book as another. (It gets confusing when a compendium of five books has the same name as book two of the series.)
I've bought more books from Kobo than any other ebook seller, and the only time I had a problem, it was my mistake--I bought a standalone Octavia E. Butler book and the compendium that includes it all within a day. I got a credit to my account when I contacted CS without any fuss. Of course, I understand that this isn't the experience of others.. but wanted to put at least one more positive experience in the mix, too.

I'd happily buy from Amazon if it wasn't mobi format but I held off for many years. Now with Audible's discount after purchasing the ebook, I've started to purchase from Amazon, but I was quite happy with Kobo before that.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #517
antonf
antonf began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hell will freeze over...

Hell will freeze over before I buy another Kobo reader.

Customer service ranges between pathetic (at best) and non-existent (normally).

if it wasn't for dedicated people like Joel Goguen I would have thrown my Glo out of the window months ago.

Sideloading books is actively discouraged.

Buy at your own peril.
antonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #518
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My point was that good or bad, thanks to Alf, it matters not. My Aura HD if/when it
gets to me will not be restricted to ebooks sold at the Kobo site.

Luck;
Ken
Old 04-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #519
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
You will not see prices of Kobo books lower than Amazon -- quite the opposite. And any hardware advances Kobo may make is negated by their inept customer service and buggy firmware.

I canceled my order, or attempted to. One would think a simple phone call, referencing the order number, would be sufficient. Nope. The c.s. rep said she could not cancel my order directly and my request would be forwarded to another level. Unbelievable. I insisted she send a confirmation email of our conversation. I am finished with Kobo.
That's just ridiculous. I don't blame you for giving up. They really need to address their customer service issues before releasing any more readers.

I totally agree with you about pricing. The only time I buy from Kobo is when I can use a discount code. That's the only time they are cheaper than Amazon.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #520
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
My point was that good or bad, thanks to Alf, it matters not. My Aura HD if/when it
gets to me will not be restricted to ebooks sold at the Kobo site.
Maybe we should do a Kickstarter project to earn a statue for Alf. Because of him, I can convert and read epubs on my Kindle.

Seriously. That guy can't get enough praise (assuming he created all the DRM-scripts). Without those scripts/plugins, I probably wouldn't even buy a single ebook at the bigger stores because of my "I don't buy any content that can't be unlocked"-policy.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #521
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
To present a counter-point: I have dealt with Kobo's customer service several times. In each case the matter was handled efficiently and to my satisfaction.
This has been my experience as well. As for the cost of ebooks, it really depends on what you read. For what I read, Kobo prices usually are on par or cheaper than than Amazon's before coupons are applied.
llcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #522
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Maybe we should do a Kickstarter project to earn a statue for Alf. Because of him, I can convert and read epubs on my Kindle.

Seriously. That guy can't get enough praise (assuming he created all the DRM-scripts). Without those scripts/plugins, I probably wouldn't even buy a single ebook at the bigger stores because of my "I don't buy any content that can't be unlocked"-policy.
I understand they were written by iLoveCabbages and the Dark Reverser, Apprentice Alf did the Calibre plugins.

DRM was originally intended to protect the rights of authors, publishers and the public. The idea was we would have a single eBook format: ePub was generally agreed on, and one form of DRM: Adobe Adept. But the big eBook stores, principally Amazon and Barnes and Noble, invented their own eBook format in the case of Amazon and their own proprietary DRM to force people to buy all their books from their respective stores. Hence the need to remove DRM, but the original idea was sound.

It seems clear from this discussion that the CS people at Kobo have no authority to make a decision. (Must be a miserable job about now.) How about we give them a break and stop blaming them for things beyond their control. I used to love Kobo until Nook lured me away. I'm happy to be coming back.

BTW, things like this are frustrating but Kobo is not the only place with rotten CS and we all know it.

Last edited by 6charlong; 04-24-2013 at 03:49 PM.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #523
Ken Maltby
Wizard

You may find a name familiar to MR posters that heads up that list, when you look
at the "File type plugins" in the calibre Preferences. We also owe a good deal to
"DiapDealer".

Luck;
Ken
Old 04-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #524
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
You may find a name familiar to MR posters that heads up that list, when you look
at the "File type plugins" in the calibre Preferences. We also owe a good deal to
"DiapDealer".

Luck;
Ken
Thank you for reminding me. DiapDealer, yes.

I also forgot to mention a fourth DRM: Apple Fairplay. Apparently every big bookstore feels it necessary to invent still another form of DRM.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #525
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Do you think they could get me the eReader by Mother's Day?
I don't see why not. I received the Aura a week after ordering it. Mother's Day is still two weeks away.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote