Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-24-2011, 05:17 AM   #76
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
Just unzip the files from the archive into the .Kobo directory on your device, then eject it from the computer and it should instantly see the files and say "updating".

IE, your .Kobo folder will have whatever it already has in it (the Sqllite database, plus some other folders etc - in there goes KoboRoot.tgz, manifest.md5sum, and the "upgrade" folder...

Cheers
The REAL Joe
and thank you! Does that mean I do not have to do a factory reset?

I've calmed down a tiny bit after being extremely angry and disappointed about the new home screen (especially its ridiculous navigation). I don't dislike the new bottom bar as much any more, even though it is absolutely useless to me. (As stated many times above, I too prefer to have just one carousel. Two of them just makes clutter.) I am still overly frustrated however by the fact that all navigation has to go via the Home menu, instead of having everything ready for you to tap on right there on the home screen.

I will be downgrading to 1.9.14 and not upgrading until at least settings, library, reading life and store are back on the home screen like they were in 1.9.14.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:29 AM   #77
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
Well, at least one other person reported exactly the same thing as what I see, so it can't be me alone!

Cheers
The REAL Joe
Maybe it is device specific, or linked to a specific combination of user settings? The fact that only two people are complaining about such an irritating issue so far seems to be pointing at some other thing than the touch screen driver proper...

François
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2011, 05:37 AM   #78
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
The shortlist is what came up when we updated my husband's KT. I thankfully did not see any book recommendations at all. I have not bought very many kobo books, and his KT is still using my personal account, so he didn't get any of that.

I was a little worried at the "recommended" being a euphemism for "advertising", but thankfully have not seen that in his KT yet.
Maybe I'm not a typical user. I don't buy so many books (half a dozen since I got the KT last summer) and mostly look for old classics I want to read again. And since I've upgraded to 1.9.16 I haven't seen the "Recommended for you" option yet. It is just absent from the drop down. And when I go through the desktop application I see that that list is empty, which probably explains it. The Carousel area has been set to the shortlist (or favourites, for this is how it translated to in French) from the get go.

So, to sum up, it seems people that are not interested at all in buying books, that do not go through the Kobo web site even for freebies, and that only sideload epubs, this development should be a non-event.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:42 AM   #79
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
Maybe I'm not a typical user. I don't buy so many books (half a dozen since I got the KT last summer) and mostly look for old classics I want to read again. And since I've upgraded to 1.9.16 I haven't seen the "Recommended for you" option yet. It is just absent from the drop down. And when I go through the desktop application I see that that list is empty, which probably explains it. The Carousel area has been set to the shortlist (or favourites, for this is how it translated to in French) from the get go.

So, to sum up, it seems people that are not interested at all in buying books, that do not go through the Kobo web site even for freebies, and that only sideload epubs, this development should be a non-event.
That seems to be my experience as well. I mostly sideload (via calibre) books I get for free and haven't seen the "recommended" screen. I asked my husband how he likes the shortlist being right there and he is happy with it as he only has a half dozen books on the short list anyway.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:44 AM   #80
frankieGom
Interested

It might be worth checking that the issue does go away once you revert to 1.9.14 as if it does it may indicate a specific FW independant condition that occured on your device. And even that specific issue might in turn be worked around through a firmware change if it is serious enough.

EDIT: Never mind! I saw that The Real Joe does not have the issue with that version

Last edited by frankieGom; 12-24-2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Update content
Advert
Old 12-24-2011, 05:49 AM   #81
frankieGom
Interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by moolyn View Post
I thought the Shortlist was on the new Desktop, as an alternative to the Recommended, Featured and New Releases on the right side of the screen. I think it would be very useful if Kobo included a option here so that people could assemble a Wish List as well.
There's a problem there as you can have sideloaded books in the shortlist too and the Desktop app wouln't know about those. So maintaining consistency across platforms (KT and PC at least) is only possible for books downloaded from the Kobo store.

François
Old 12-24-2011, 06:03 AM   #82
frankieGom
Interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmin View Post
Does that mean I do not have to do a factory reset
Yes! The factory reset was just an easy and cheap trick to force an older firmware on your device so that it would re-download the latest version when it made it's check while syncing.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:06 AM   #83
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by moolyn View Post
Taming and Reader Paradice, thanks for explaining what the Shortlist is.

Previously, when I went to the home page on my device, a screen with five books purchased from Kobo appeared briefly then changed to a screen of five books I was actually reading or had opened. Now that I know what those hearts are for and have blackened the ones for books I am reading or plan to read soon, I have just one home screen.

I thought the Shortlist was on the new Desktop, as an alternative to the Recommended, Featured and New Releases on the right side of the screen. I think it would be very useful if Kobo included a option here so that people could assemble a Wish List as well.
----------------------------------------------------------

You're most welcome!
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #84
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koboyashi View Post
I found a new value in the file "[Drive letter where your Kobo is connected]:\.kobo\Kobo\Kobo eReader.conf" - the 1st line returned no value in the previous release, but now this line is crowded with tons of home phone stuff (including my special friends google-analytics.com), transferring at least 25 different numerical values. - Have a quick look at that line here. - I think the whole crap is intended for the recommendation feature. But who knows what kind of information is also encoded there...
Just checked my 1.9.14 and the google-analytics.com crap is still there. And, from the looks of the URLs used ( h-t-t-p-://www.google-analytics.com/__utm.gif?utmwv=4.9.5&utms=1&utmn=1028046982&utmhn =devices.kobo.com&utmhid=287349228&utmr=-&utmp=% being one of the four), it is redirecting through g-a.com every time the device needs to connect to devices.kobo.com.

This not being a new thing just further guarantees that Kobo shall never get another penny (or any other amount) from me in the future.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #85
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
JD; CALM DOWN...

Lets give Kobo staff a chance to investigate and explain.

I've tried ALL I can and I get NO sign of ANY Google-Analytics cookes on my Touch!

Have ANY of you tried the simple approach of editing that ****** file and removing the values?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #86
charlyo
charlyo began at the beginning.

Device: kobo e-reader
where can i download the version 1.9.16? please help.
charlyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #87
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
AUtomatically via either WiFi on the unit OR via the Kobo Desktop.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #88
slowfax
Connoisseur
slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.

Device: miflalmXD
After installing this update my Kobo Touch isn't usable any more. When it restarted for the first time it stopped at: Updating Contents - Please wait a moment - 58% (translated from German: "Inhalt wird verarbeitet - Einen Moment bitte -58%").

This "moment" takes more than 12 hours now. I have removed the SD-card, tried to reset the Kobo, tried the on/off switch a hundred times.

No reset. No On/Off works. The PC doesn't recognize any device, when I connect the Kobo. It's DEAD. The Kobo is like a flat brick now.

Any idea anyone?
slowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #89
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
OK I'm ok with 19.16 now. As Robko and others have pointed out, when you change the bottom bar to "Shortlist", pressing "Show all" brings up the shortlist in one tap, so is actually quicker to get to the shortlist than from 1.9.14.
The bar does make the homepage messy, what with 5 items of my shortlist shown above and below, but I can live with it.

My kobo doesn't run particularly faster or look particularly better with fonts, but I wasn't unhappy with the speed or the fonts in 1.9.14 anyway.

The only thing I want really that isn't there is custom folder lists accessible like the library and shortlist.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #90
charlyo
charlyo began at the beginning.

Device: kobo e-reader
thanks lot PeterT
charlyo is offline   Reply With Quote