Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Question Setting up iPad 1 for ebooks

Later this week I'm going to be helping a friend who wants to read ebooks on her first gen iPad. I'm a long-time Mac and Nook user, but don't have an iPad myself, so some of this will be new to me.

She is not at all "techie" and won't want to use Calibre or convert books to other formats. She mostly wants to read library books and download free books from Amazon and B&N.

Can I just set up the Kindle, Nook, and Overdrive apps for her? Does she need ADE, or does the Overdrive app have that built in? Do I get these apps via the Apple Store, and where does iTunes fit in?

Is there a site (maybe here on MR) that has all the information I need in one place, to make this easy for me to set up and easy for her to use? Thanks!
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
What I like to do is use iBooks as a reader.
It'll sync nicely with iTunes.
Just convert books to ePub, drag in to iTunes and sync.
You can also send ePubs to her email address, she'll tap on the ePub and it's inside iBooks.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This sounds great! Will it work for books from Amazon and B&N that presumably have DRM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
What I like to do is use iBooks as a reader.
It'll sync nicely with iTunes.
Just convert books to ePub, drag in to iTunes and sync.
You can also send ePubs to her email address, she'll tap on the ePub and it's inside iBooks.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

My recommendation is to convert everything into EPUB and read it in the best e-reader for iPad = Marvin.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
Can I just set up the Kindle, Nook, and Overdrive apps for her? Does she need ADE, or does the Overdrive app have that built in? Do I get these apps via the Apple Store, and where does iTunes fit in?
Yes, the App Store has all the reading apps. Just download the ones she needs and register them to her amazon, nook, and library accounts and then she can download her books easily using each app. You don't need ADE or iTunes if you use the above mentioned apps to download and read with for each source.

The previous suggestions all require stripping DRM, something you indicated is beyond your friend's interest and tech skills.

Last edited by Synamon; 04-01-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Later this week I'm going to be helping a friend who wants to read ebooks on her first gen iPad. I'm a long-time Mac and Nook user, but don't have an iPad myself, so some of this will be new to me.

She is not at all "techie" and won't want to use Calibre or convert books to other formats. She mostly wants to read library books and download free books from Amazon and B&N.

Is there a site (maybe here on MR) that has all the information I need in one place, to make this easy for me to set up and easy for her to use? Thanks!
For Library eBooks, use Bluefire Reader. Bluefire uses ADE and works with library eBooks and eBooks not bought from Amazon or B&N (aka Sony or BooksOnBoard). For eBooks from Amazon, use Kindle. For eBooks from B&N, use nook.

iBooks is not going to work for what your friend wants to do.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:

Tell your friend to reduce the brightness completely for reading indoors (iPad 1 has very strong brightness even on minimum) and order some good anti-glare screen protector.

If brightness poses problem to her, for further reduction of brightness she should use native iBooks reader (for reading epubs and pdf's) because other apps are just faking brightness reduction by dimming the colors or do not have brightness controls at all.

For pdf's and comic books she might like some of these:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ibooks/801...pdf-too-2.html

Last edited by markom; 04-06-2013 at 07:20 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
If brightness poses problem to her, for further reduction of brightness she should use native iBooks reader (for reading epubs and pdf's) because other apps are just faking brightness reduction by dimming the colors or do not have brightness controls at all.
I think you would be more frustrated by iBooks than anything. I would recommend Marvin...it has Superb "real" brightness controls, plus excellent control of colors/backgrounds to set it for whatever is easiest on the eyes.

The features on Marvin far outweigh anything on iBooks.....but....you would be limited to ePub format. If tossing a book at Calibre for its very simple conversion is too much, then I would agree with Wolf and go the bluefire/kindle/nook route.

Good luck!
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:09 AM   #9
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I think you would be more frustrated by iBooks than anything. I would recommend Marvin...it has Superb "real" brightness controls, plus excellent control of colors/backgrounds to set it for whatever is easiest on the eyes.

The features on Marvin far outweigh anything on iBooks.....but....you would be limited to ePub format. If tossing a book at Calibre for its very simple conversion is too much, then I would agree with Wolf and go the bluefire/kindle/nook route.

Good luck!
I know that there are many epub or pdf readers better than iBooks, nevertheless if i were to read indoors on iPad 1 for more than 30 min. i would always use iBooks instead of Kindle, Adobe, Foxit etc. because it is easier on my eyes.

I did not try Marvin on iPad 1 though, because i still use iOS 4.3 and Marvin needs 5.1 .

Last edited by markom; 04-07-2013 at 03:33 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Yes, the App Store has all the reading apps. Just download the ones she needs and register them to her amazon, nook, and library accounts and then she can download her books easily using each app. You don't need ADE or iTunes if you use the above mentioned apps to download and read with for each source.

The previous suggestions all require stripping DRM, something you indicated is beyond your friend's interest and tech skills.
Most of the other posts also ignore the fact that your friend doesn't want to convert. And she doesn't seem to be a PDF reader either, which is good because outside of printing PDFs suck.

The glare can be overcome. Unfortunately the low resolution of the iPad 1 screen cannot be improved by any app I've ever seen. It is what it is--a really low 130 ppi (apprx.) screen which many people find too pixelated for long term reading. But if that doesn't bother her, and it doesn't bother everyone by any means, then she can easily download books from any major eBookstore and read them without needing a technical background.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post

Not true at all.

It is true that you would have to strip DRM from any books that have DRM on them to use Marvin. But there are a good many books, especially the free ones you said you were interested in, that do not have DRM on them in the first place. Plus there are more mainstream publishers jumping on the no-DRM band wagon...

You can point Marvin's catalogue system at free sites to download non-DRM free books directly.

Most non-DRM books would already be available in ePub format. However, since you are setting up the computer/ipad for her, you could easily set up Calibre to automatically convert any downloaded books to the ePub format. Then in Marvin set the "Catalogue" to point to your Calibre library, and all your books would be available without her having to touch calibre at all...She clicks download....then goes in to marvin and selects the book to read....

Cheers!
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Bluefire does support turning down the brightness. iBooks on a small screen is awful. The wasted screen space is just not good at all. Bluefire is currently the best reader for an iPhone/iPod Touch.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:37 AM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For Library eBooks, use Bluefire Reader. Bluefire uses ADE and works with library eBooks and eBooks not bought from Amazon or B&N (aka Sony or BooksOnBoard). For eBooks from Amazon, use Kindle. For eBooks from B&N, use nook.

iBooks is not going to work for what your friend wants to do.
+1. It will be the simplest solution for the friend who doesnt want fuss, and for the OP who doesnt know anything about using the iPad.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #14
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Although Stanza is the best ereader application on iPad, as your friend wants no fuss, tell her to just download her Kindle purchases in Kindle app, library books in whatever app handles them and don't worry about much else. If she is one of the lucky minority (looking at this board, we are a minority) who don't mind backlit screen, she'd be all right. I despise eink (cheap and nasty) but love reading on my sleek, responsive and brilliant iPad!
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #15
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe

Thanks, everyone, for all your help with this. I set my friend up with the Kindle and Overdrive apps, and that was really as far as she wanted to go. But the advice I got here made the installation/teaching process go very smoothly.

And since I'm considering getting an iPad myself, it will help me in the future too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi View Post
Although Stanza is the best ereader application on iPad, as your friend wants no fuss, tell her to just download her Kindle purchases in Kindle app, library books in whatever app handles them and don't worry about much else. If she is one of the lucky minority (looking at this board, we are a minority) who don't mind backlit screen, she'd be all right. I despise eink (cheap and nasty) but love reading on my sleek, responsive and brilliant iPad!

Tags
ebooks, ipad, kindle, overdrive