Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
Armaced
Enthusiast
Armaced began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-505
Sleep Mode

Is there a downside to turning sleep mode off?

My understanding of eInk is that it requires no energy to maintain a display - all of the energy consumption is envolved in turning the pages (refreshing the screen). If that is true (not so sure) then sleep mode would actually cause it to use more energy, as it calls two unnecessary page refreshes (one to clear the screen, and another to refresh it when the device is turned back on).

Is my understanding correct? Should I turn the sleep mode setting off?

Thanks in advance.
Armaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Besides blanking the screen, sleep mode also turns the buttons on the front of the device off so they don't accidentally get pressed. So, it's a good idea to allow the reader to go into sleep mode.

Each page refresh uses a very minimal amount of power, so you wouldn't really save much at all by turning off sleep mode. (According to Sony, you should be able to get 7500 page turns out of a fully charged battery.)

The battery does use a minimal amount of power when in sleep mode to remember settings, etc. If you're not going to be using your 505 for a few weeks, you can use the "device shutdown" under advanced settings to fully shut it off. It will take quite a bit longer to boot up when you turn it on though. (There is also an option to turn off sleep mode under settings.)

Personally, I've never shut my 505 off fully. I just let it turn it off with the power switch--which just puts the 505 into sleep mode. Even after a year and a half, I still get over 2 weeks out of a single charge--and that's with reading an hour or more on it each day.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
Armaced
Enthusiast
Armaced began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-505
That's a good point - I forgot about the disabling of the buttons. That does justify sleep mode.

Thanks, dordale!
Armaced is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eink, sleep