Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
harald
harald began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Smile Dutch Newspaper on Iliad

The Dutch newspaper NRC is available on epaper now. See http://epaper.nrc.nl/ (in Dutch)
harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
harald

ordered

I just ordered so soon you can expect an extensive review.
Advert
Old 03-06-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
ebookreaders
wdejager
ebookreaders doesn't litterebookreaders doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, Cybook Gen3, iLiad 2nd & Book edition, iPhone 3G, DR1000
Additional information on the first Dutch ePaper

Have a look at the English translation of the press release:

http://www.ebookreaders.nl/nrc_heeft...nguage_code=en

I attended the press conference this afternoon and I was quite impressed the speed of development of this epaper format. There are a number of research projects going on at the moment, aiming at future digital newspaper uses, but this commercial implementation really surprised us. It's good news for the iRex people, the iLiad will certainly get lots of attention the coming days.

The iLiad will be available in combination with a one-year subscription. Existing iLiad users can also buy just an electronic subscription. The newspaper is delivered using the Irex Delivery Service. The newspaper consists of a (non-drm'ed) pdf file, which is optimized for the iLiad's screen.
ebookreaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Tokkeh
Reader
Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad /Palm TX
Great if you are an NRC subscriber but have no iLiad. A bit pricey if you have an iLiad but no NRC subscription but maybe worth it. You have both? Too bad, full price e-subscription anyhow. At least, that's how it looks. I hope I'm wrong.
Tokkeh
Tokkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
ebookreaders
wdejager

If you have a normal (6 day) paper subscription, and you have an iLiad, you get the ePaper edition for free.
Advert
Old 03-06-2008, 04:22 PM   #6
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookreaders View Post
If you have a normal (6 day) paper subscription, and you have an iLiad, you get the ePaper edition for free.
So...
they don't need a paper boy
the don't have to print it
I just want the e-version
but I have to get the dead-tree
to get the e-version
that's a bit stupid
offer me the e-paper for
a nice price
saves money for everybody
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
ebookreaders
wdejager

There's an ePaper-only version available as well, so no need for more dead trees
Old 03-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #8
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Smile

I really like the idea that the iLiad is now pushed from the content delivery side. I hope they will start something similar on the german newspaper market as well...
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #9
Tokkeh
Reader
Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad /Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookreaders View Post
Great. Now how?
Tokkeh
Tokkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:34 AM   #10
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I really wish we could get the papers which are available on the kindle available thru ids. It seems like iRex should be courting these guys pretty intensely.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #11
Karel
iRex Community Manager
Karel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkeh View Post
Great. Now how?
Tokkeh
If you have a regular NRC Handelsblad subscription and an iLiad than you can request en ePaper subscription for free via e-mail: registratie.nrc@pcmuitgevers.nl.
Karel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #12
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
NRC Handelsblad e-Cake @ i to i blog
Handelsblad NRC first Dutch newspaper on electronic paper [iRex press release]

Last edited by yokos; 03-07-2008 at 11:01 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:10 AM   #13
Arno Wouters
Arno Wouters began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten E2, iRex iLiad 2nd ed.
NRC ePaper is disappointing

I was among the 500 or so NRC subscribers who bought an iLiad in combination with a subscription to the ePaper in the first week that it was available. According to the site of the NRC web shop delivery time would be 4 to 5 days, the confirmation of payment said delivery time would be about 10 days, the iLiad arrived after 21 days.

This was only the start of a series of disappointments. The NRC advertises that the ePaper is easily available via wifi everywhere in the world at any time you want. This is more than slightly exaggerated. I took me a month and the extra costs of a router to be able to download the ePaper. Initially, the iLiad refused to connect both to my wifi network at home and to the network at work. The NRC help desk does not answer technical questions and refers to iRex. iRex support was of no use in solving the problem (initially they bluntly refused to help me because my desktop computer runs Mac OS X rather than Windows XP, later they answered many questions I hadn't asked but ignored the question I did ask 'namely how to connect to the unprotected network set up bij my iMac') but one of the users on the special forum for ePaper subscribers discovered that the iLiad is not able to connect to what is called 'ad-hoc networks' set up by computers, PDA's or mobile phones and that I had to buy a router. The iLiad does not connect to hotspots either, nor to secure networks (except if they use the WEP protocol). In effect, the ePaper can be downloaded only at home (if you have a router).

The ePaper itself is a half-baked product. The ePaper is produced by extracting text from a pdf of the paper edition more or less OCR like. The results are what you can expect from such a process. Many articles are unreadable because they are scrambled. Columns with short articles appear as one paragraph without any typography. Articles end half way and continue 50 pages later. And so on.

The NRC Handelsblad runs a dedicated forum which is open to ePaper subscribers only. This forum is a sop that is largely ignored by the NRC staff. The NRC has promised a biweekly update on their progress and a list of known problems. The 'biweekly' update appears irregularly (the interval varies between 16 and 45 days) and does not address the questions brought up by the users. The list of known problems is still missing.

Those of you who read Dutch can find my experiences on http://www.xs4all.nl/~morepork/ePaper.html

Last edited by Arno Wouters; 07-07-2008 at 03:22 AM. Reason: there is so much more to say .....
Arno Wouters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:55 AM   #14
harald

NRC ePaper is great

The NRC epaper edition is absolutely great. It is amazing how people can get so obsessed with flaws in a product that they don't see the beauty of it anymore. See for instance Arno's post.

I have been NRC epaper reader for a number of months now. I like it so much that I don't read the paper edition anymore (while it is still delivered at my door everyday..). It has a large number of advantages over the paper edition.

It reads easier, because the iLiad is much smaller and because you don't need to search for articles on too large sheets of paper..

It is delivered 1-4 hours earlier than the paper edition.

It is much cheaper than the paper edition of NRC.

All old newspapers can easily be stored. If I want to read the friday newspaper of last week, no problem, I just click on it and there it is.. Compare this to searching for a newspaper in a large pile of paper..

I can download it anywhere in the world. It works for all standard Wifi networks that do not use special logins. So all home networks and in many cases also networks in hotels can be used (also secure networks). Recently I downloaded and read the NRC everyday in the middle of nowhere in Siberia. This for only a few Euro's a year! Great deal. Absolutely wonderful.

It is more comfortable than reading the internet online edition of NRC (which is available too). The font used is just perfect.

I can combine the experience of reading my newspaper with reading scientific articles, making notes, drawing sketches, reading downloaded opera libretti, reading free (or payed for) books. Just amazing. And this all with one device.

It is completely cool.

The daily download works flawless (I never had ANY problems, even with obscure wifi points).

It has some flaws, yes. The layout could be better. The navigation could be a bit easier. The scrambling is sometimes a bit annoying. But this occurs in less than 1 percent of the articles or so.

So, I sincerely hope NRC continues with this project. I am willing to pay for this 'half-baked product' (ref. Arno Wouters). Also, it works fine in combination with OS X. I just read-write to a CF card using a card reader! No problems whatsoever.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:32 AM   #15
hapipiko
hapipiko
hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hapipiko can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: first iLiad V2 (now retired) Kobo touch, samsung galaxy tab
still going on strong Harald?

In april I got my iLiad with NRC ePaper.
surprising and funny to read the newspaper that way!

but after a few days I was disappointed because the ePaper wasnt free of bugs and not working Links.
And text was complete incomplete and like tuttu frutti
and downloading 'on a terrace in Nice' (or Rio, or London, Or Utrecht) was not possible,
the IDS doe not work in public!
so...I use the iLiad for reading eBooks and this is real fun and such a joy.
I dont download the NRC ePpaper anymore...and read this: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/NRC_ePaper#Lijst_met_klachten
hapipiko is offline   Reply With Quote