Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #496
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Hmm... six months to do your full backup, if you had a crash and needed to restore all your files, how long will it take to get them all back?

Luck;
Ken
Why do you need to restore them directly? Restore the ones you need directly and let the other restore in the background.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #497
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Why not. Crashplan havet unlimited data. I use them for big files and much data.
Because it would take me about forever to upload all of my stuff.

Now, I just connect my external hard drive to my computer, run an rsync-script in Cygwin, and my backup will be updated. Once every two weeks or so, I update the drive, take it to my mom's house, and take back the drive that is there, and then update that.

I'm never more than a few minutes (or in the worst case, hours) away from making or restoring a fully working backup.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #498
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Because it would take me about forever to upload all of my stuff.

Now, I just connect my external hard drive to my computer, run an rsync-script in Cygwin, and my backup will be updated. Once every two weeks or so, I update the drive, take it to my mom's house, and take back the drive that is there, and then update that.

I'm never more than a few minutes (or in the worst case, hours) away from making or restoring a fully working backup.
Of course I have local backups also. But crashplan is good to have also. Personally I think once every two weeks is much to long interval between backups. Files I add are backuped directly to crashplan and then I also take a local backup but not as often. Really important small files are all checked in in a repository that is backed up by other people.

And you can actually send them a disk for the initial backup.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #499
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
1. Burn data to disk
2. Put label on disk
3. Roll disk into typewriter and type info on label
4. Take disk out of typewriter and put it into drive where it 'mysteriously' failed to read the data
There were also cases of early police crackdown on hacker activity where they seized several floppy discs, put them in a folder, shoved them at a secretary and said "make copies of these."

The secretary dutifully went to the copy machine, placed the floppies, label-side down on the glass, and hit "copy"--giving just enough of an electromagnetic surge to wipe the discs.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #500
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I remember reading about a guy whose job it was to make tape backups once a week and then place them in a fireproof box. He did his job dutifully for a few months, but when a drive crashed they found out that none of the tapes had anything on them. To solve the mystery, the boss had the guy go through his backup routine to see if he was doing it wrong, but it all looked fine. When they were done, the guy figured he'd have his usual post-backup cup of tea, so he filled the electric kettle with water, plugged it into the wall socket and placed it on the nearest flat surface, the top of the fireproof box. The boss then saw that the AC coil in the kettle was bulk erasing all the tapes underneath.

The lesson is: test your backups!
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #501
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Of course I have local backups also. But crashplan is good to have also. Personally I think once every two weeks is much to long interval between backups.
That I update the disc to to take it to my mom's house once every two weeks, doesn't automatically mean that it's only updated at that time. It's updated immediately, if I need to have a big change backed up, like this evening, having ripped and tagged 10 CD's to FLAC and created the MP3's for MP3-player too.

The update at my mom's house can be two weeks behind, in the very worst case, but if I really *NEED* that disc, then my house has burned down or exploded.

The only things that regularly change on a daily basis are tags in e-books, FLAC/MP3 files, savegames, and so on. I can lose some stuff if need be.

*I KNEW* I should have explained that. Now you know why people often ask me why my posts are so long-winded and "over-explanatory". I must plug each and every possible way to interpret something the wrong way or stop people from jumping to conclusions, because if they *can*, then they *will*.

I hate that.

Last edited by Katsunami; 06-29-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #502
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I remember reading about a guy whose job it was to make tape backups once a week and then place them in a fireproof box. He did his job dutifully for a few months, but when a drive crashed they found out that none of the tapes had anything on them. To solve the mystery, the boss had the guy go through his backup routine to see if he was doing it wrong, but it all looked fine. When they were done, the guy figured he'd have his usual post-backup cup of tea, so he filled the electric kettle with water, plugged it into the wall socket and placed it on the nearest flat surface, the top of the fireproof box. The boss then saw that the AC coil in the kettle was bulk erasing all the tapes underneath.

The lesson is: test your backups!
I also heard about a odd problem that a customer of American TV had once. His TV kept on changing channels by itself. They tested the unit and couldn't find the problem so they replaced the keypad on the TV set and sent it back home figuring it was something wrong there. It did it again! Finally they found out what the problem was. The man lived in the country and his screen door had a hole in the screen. A fly would fly in, land on the TV keypad and change the station. The keypad was set to be too sensitive. And there was the case of a photocopier not working one morning. So they called the repair man. He looked things over and then reached out and plugged it in. Turned out the janitors had unplugged the unit so they could use the floor buffer and had forgotten to plug it back in again when they were done. Always look for the simplest reason for a problem 1st.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #503
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Hmm... six months to do your full backup, if you had a crash and needed to restore all your files, how long will it take to get them all back?
The source files are split across multiple computers and NAS devices, so to lose all the data would mean something truly catastrophic had happened like the house burning down, in which case I'd probably have more urgent concerns
The CrashPlan UI allows you to selectively browse and download single files whenever you want, so you don't have to restore an entire backup set just to get the stuff you really need to access right now.
So you'd immediate restore the computer/urgent data backup set, selectively grab the media you want access to right away, then start the slow process of restoring everything else.
It may actually be quicker to restore than the backup, as it isn't doing the intensive block duplicate checking that occurs when uploading. I've done test restores just to prove everything works, but haven't done a performance test.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:23 AM   #504
Andy Farman
Connoisseur
Andy Farman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
“Curse the blasted, jelly-boned swines, the slimy, belly-wriggling invertebrates, the miserable, sodding rotters, the flaming sods, the snivelling, dribbling, dithering, palsied, pulse-less lot that make up England today. God, how I hate them”
DH Lawrence after having his manuscript of 'Sons and Lovers’ rejected
Andy Farman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:22 AM   #505
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Farman View Post
“Curse the blasted, jelly-boned swines, the slimy, belly-wriggling invertebrates, the miserable, sodding rotters, the flaming sods, the snivelling, dribbling, dithering, palsied, pulse-less lot that make up England today. God, how I hate them”
DH Lawrence after having his manuscript of 'Sons and Lovers’ rejected
I'm getting an impression here that he wasn't very happy?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #506
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
distinguish poetry from prose (...) by focusing on the rhythmic differences than on the content differences.
Amen to that.
Apart from the fact that there are poems describing and/or relating to facts (e. g. the poet being left or rejected by the addressee of the poem) I have read two (not antic but contemporary ; AFAIR from 1980ies) adjudications written in rhyming verses.

One of them was about a case where a payment reminder was ignored in the sense of not being percieved seriously as a writ, because - you might already guess - it was written in rhyming verses too.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #507
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Writing "serious" books (philosophy, books about farming, tracts on religion, etc) in verse was common in the ancient world. Lots of example in both Latin and Greek. I agree that it's a shame it's no longer done - it's so much "classier" to write a farming manual in dactylic hexameter verse .
right. metric and patterns help memorization

though poetry isn't about metric and rhymes

when I said poetry being from "the gut", I meant only the (largest) subgenre of lyrical poetry

hey, finally some nice discussion here about poetry. better than more lame series
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #508
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Not so much "weird" as just plain "wrong". "Poetry" is a description of the form, not the content. The content can be anything at all. Consider, for example, Lucretius's "De Rerum Natura" - "On the Nature of Things"; a physics textbook written in poetry.
nope, the form is metrified verse

poetry isn't about verse, thought it can use it, as well as metric, rhymes etc

yes, most classic epic poetry is really prose in verse and conversely your examples are not poetry, they are textbooks in verse

poetry is not easy to define, but it certainly has to do with language, form and semantics. I like to define it as sculpting with words. the end sculpture may even be completely abstract, with not a hint of fiction or narrative at all, even though completely made out of words...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #509
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
right. metric and patterns help memorization
though poetry isn't about metric and rhymes

when I said poetry being from "the gut", I meant only the (largest) subgenre of lyrical poetry

hey, finally some nice discussion here about poetry. better than more lame series
The old rhymes did help to preserve knowledge in past generations though. i.e. 30 days hath September... and so forth. In fact the old minstrels would sing the news as they went through an area (I understand) as it was easier to remember things accurately that way. That and things like murals and stained glass windows were the education of the common man back before books were easy to mass produce thanks to Gutenberg's printing press. That's when the narrative poem began it's decline I think. Who needs someone to sing the old poems when you could pick up a book (or newspaper) and read the text yourself? Though I bet some of the early print poublishers probably thought some of the books they were printing were rubbish back then too.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #510
Ken.Hagdal
Connoisseur
Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Do the books you review undergo any sort of initial screening process? In all seriousness, when I've looked at indie books (which I do from time to time), the majority (I'd estimate at least three quarters) have been riddled with elementary errors in spelling and grammar (eg not knowing the difference between "its" and "it's", or "your" and "you're"), and I'm afraid that's "instant fail" as far as I'm concerned.
That's the unfortunate downside of democratization. Just like what happened a few years back when HD technology allowed 2 dudes, a laptop and a $2000 camera to call themselves a production company. Then, you went to their websites and watched their trailers...

On the plus side, we have reviewers that help readers discover authors who didn't fit in the big 6's blockbuster mold, while weeding out material that was never meant to be made public. With ebooks, you can also check out the first chapter to see for yourself if the author's style jibes with you.

There was a lot of bitterness and fear in Franklin's words. And righteously so. Noone will deny the slew of bad self-published books doesn't offer anything but noone buys them, so that's no more than background noise. On the other hand, we now have our first success stories of S-Ped authors who sold over 100K copies. We're still in a transitional stage at the moment as they've just made it and their names wouldn't ring a bell to many of us. As years go by, they will keep on building their fan bases, and eventually attract attention in mainstream media.

It's this day that traditional publishers dead like hell. As for these authors' contributions,... some of them will likely read very much like traditionally published writers relying a solid mastery of their craft to tell compelling stories. But there will also be others, maybe the new Celine, Joseph Heller or Bukowski, who would be discarded as too controversial or much of a financial risk by the Big 6. It's giving me hope for mankind's future in an era when so many people get "offended" by someone just opening their mouth.
Ken.Hagdal is offline   Reply With Quote