Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #61
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@mmat1 - actually ElMiko reported both of those on the first page, both have been fixed for the 0.6 release.
Sorry.

However, it doesn't matter anyway, as all my clips are gone for good..... ("save" didn't work as expected) (please don't stone me if this one is reported as well)
Old 10-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #62
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Save should save as expected It saves to a new configuration file different from the previous betas. Take a look in your files to see if they are there. There are two ways:

1. Try to import them: Open Clips, right click to select Import, navigate to your preferences configuration directory. Select sigil.ini. This was where clips used to be stored in the previous beta.

2. Look at the actual .ini files - go to your preferences configuration directory and look in the sigil.ini, sigil_clips.ini files (although if they were in your sigil_clips.ini file they would show up when you start sigil).

If there is an actual problem with saving we'd like to know. Can you start sigil, open clips, enter a new clip, then hit Save. Exit Sigil, restart it and look at your clips - is the new entry there? Oh - and always better to have two reports of something than none

Last edited by meme; 10-17-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #63
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Renaming files

I renamed the files in a book to "Chapternn". Then I discovered there were more files than chapters. I then merged two files in the middle, so I that I was missing Chapter05. I selected all the files again and tried the same rename. This time I got the following error:
Code:
Cannot rename since one of more new filenames are in use.
The error makes sense, but I know I have done this before. And I am sure it was with one of the betas.

So, bug or feature?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #64
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Its quite possible that its different. The previous versions checked if the name you were renaming a file to already existed but only at the time it was renaming the one file. The new approach checks for the existence of any of the new names before it starts renaming. Previously what could happen is many dialogs warning you about renaming clashes which were a pain if you happened to have selected a lot of files. The new approach checks at the start and gives you 1 warning.

To work around it in your situation, just rename them all to aChapternn, and then rename them again to Chapternn.

(And I'm glad to see the 'one of more' message is actually 'one or more' in the code )

Last edited by meme; 10-17-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #65
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
To work around it in your situation, just rename them all to chapternn, and then rename them again to Chapternn.
Using lower vs upper case might not work. Not all filesystems differentiate between case. For example on OS X:

Code:
 $ echo 1 > test
$ cat test 
$ cat Test
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #66
meme
Sigil developer

Yep, just after posting that I updated the name since I realized not all OS's will treat the names differently
Old 10-18-2012, 01:51 AM   #67
signum
Zealot
signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: none
Here's another issue that popped up for me:

The keyboard shortcut <ctrl-alt-r> on a selection of file(s) won't trigger a rename action. Right-clicking with the mouse brings up a popup menu that I can select "rename" from with a left click and things work smoothly from there.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:57 AM   #68
signum
Zealot
signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

One more issue:

I can't seem to be able to use a slash or ampersand as part of the name for a saved search and replace. I had wanted to name a certain search and replace pattern as "F/R", but the search editor wouldn't take anything that included the "/", reverting back to the old name in all cases. I had only a little better luck wih using an ampersand, but when I named the pattern as "F&R", the popup that showed up when I right-clicked the search and replace panel showed "FR", with an underscore under the R. When I went ahead and chose it anyway, it showed "F&R" under the "Loaded" note. Vertical bar and plus sign worked in the name without a hitch. What am I doing wrong?
Old 10-18-2012, 02:45 AM   #69
signum
Zealot

Kiwidude said this: "Not something we can change for 0.6, it is a non-trivial piece of work. Will add it to the list for future consideration though." about making the collapsed/expanded state of the TOC persistent.

I can wait for it. Before you make a final decision on whether or not to include it, I'd like to make a little stronger case for it in another message somewhere. I had hoped it would have been a simple tweak, otherwise I would have brought it up later.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:12 AM   #70
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by signum View Post

The keyboard shortcut <ctrl-alt-r> on a selection of file(s) won't trigger a rename action. Right-clicking with the mouse brings up a popup menu that I can select "rename" from with a left click and things work smoothly from there.
Works fine for me. You are going to have to narrow it down a bit more if there is some circumstance where it doesn't.
Quote:
One more issue:

I can't seem to be able to use a slash or ampersand as part of the name for a saved search and replace. I had wanted to name a certain search and replace pattern as "F/R", but the search editor wouldn't take anything that included the "/", reverting back to the old name in all cases. I had only a little better luck wih using an ampersand, but when I named the pattern as "F&R", the popup that showed up when I right-clicked the search and replace panel showed "FR", with an underscore under the R. When I went ahead and chose it anyway, it showed "F&R" under the "Loaded" note. Vertical bar and plus sign worked in the name without a hitch. What am I doing wrong?
This got me a while ago too. Unfortunately / is a reserved character that the saved searches and clips functionality uses when it stores its hierarchy internally in the file, so it is rejected as a character a user can type in a name.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #71
Ahmad Samir
Zealot
Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:

If you're using KDE4 (and Klipper), Ctrl+Alt+R is used as one of the default keyboard shortcuts in Klipper; so either change it in Sigil to something else or change it in Klipper.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #72
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Hi meme,

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
If there is an actual problem with saving we'd like to know. Can you start sigil, open clips, enter a new clip, then hit Save. Exit Sigil, restart it and look at your clips - is the new entry there? Oh - and always better to have two reports of something than none
Thats what i did. I never bothered with clips from the old beta. I just made new ones. They saved correctly, but a few days later (as i recall after a session with two parallel sigils) they were gone. It seams that the ini-file is resetted to original state.

By now, I can't reproduce it, but i will keep an eye on this and let you know if i find someting out.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #73
meme
Sigil developer

If you have 2 Sigils running, then when you Save Clips (or Searches) in one, the other will automatically re-load the updated entries. (There is only one configuration file for clips, used by any number of running Sigils - so when you save in one it forces the others to reload the file with the changes).

None of this should cause the files to reset to the original state. Only if the ini file was deleted will you be reset to the default example entries. If you can repeat the issue, please let us know.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #74
signum
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad Samir View Post
If you're using KDE4 (and Klipper), Ctrl+Alt+R is used as one of the default keyboard shortcuts in Klipper; so either change it in Sigil to something else or change it in Klipper.
Thanks Ahmad. That fixed the <ctrl-alt-r> problem for me. I reassigned the <ctrl-alt-r> key combo in klipper to something else.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #75
signum
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Works fine for me. You are going to have to narrow it down a bit more if there is some circumstance where it doesn't.

This got me a while ago too. Unfortunately / is a reserved character that the saved searches and clips functionality uses when it stores its hierarchy internally in the file, so it is rejected as a character a user can type in a name.
I understand now, Kiwidude. So the slash character is reserved and the ampersand is probably reserved also. Is there a list somewhere I could refer to to avoid future problems?
Closed Thread