Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
vernel1008
vernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo Glo
Lightbulb Guide for Fixing Semi-Bricked Glo After Failed Manual Update Without Losing Data

NOTE: THIS GUIDE IS FOR THOSE WHO DID NOT MAKE A BACKUP PRIOR TO AN UPDATE. I'LL SHARE WHAT I DID WHEN I BRICKED MY KOBO GLO AFTER A FAILED MANUAL UPDATE. I HOPE THIS MAY HELP YOU IN SOME WAYS. SOME PARTS OF THIS GUIDE IS RISKY, BUT I HOPE IT MAY HELP YOU TO RETRIEVE YOUR FILES FROM THE INTERNAL MICRO SD CARD.

Are you someone who never received the an update for your Kobo Glo via Wifi sync or Kobo Desktop?
Are you someone who had failed on manually updating your Kobo device?

Well you're not alone.

Last night I tried to update my Kobo Glo 905c with 3.1.0 fw through the Manual Update as posted here . Excitedly, I extracted the zip file in my computer which contains the fw update files.

THEN I forgot that the usb port of my PC was very faulty. I transferred the firmware update files. Before the file transfer finish, the kobo was ejected from the PC. Once your kobo is ejected from your PC, it will only show the BLACK SCREEN WITH CONNECTED TO PC ICON. Basically, you're left with that screen until you remove the micro-usb plug.
So I was left with no choice but to remove it from the PC (sideloaders know that when you remove the usb cable from the kobo, the update will start).

It updated but I know there will be a problem since the fw update files were not complete. When the Kobo Glo started, it was in an infinite boot loop. (***** blinking icons)

MY KOBO GLO IS A BRICK!

Then three things hit me:
1. The patch affected only the internal memory of the device leaving the internal microsd card untouched
2. The Kobo Glo will never be detected by the PC through normal plugging of usb cable since the fw was screwed
3. Re-patching the fw will (may) solve the issue. (no guarantee)

Problems encountered:
1. Device cannot be detected by the PC
2. If device is not detected, how can I install the newest patch to the built in memory.

WHAT I DID

1. I remembered the instructions here in Kobo Forum on how to expand the internal micro sd card so I searched for it.. I followed the instruction on how to open the Kobo Glo and put my 100% trust with the OP.

2. I opened the Kobo Glo and removed the micro sd card (this may corrupt your micro sd card since there is no way to poweroff KG in this state; infinite boot loop) so do this at your own risk. Linux enthusiasts know that you cannot just remove the HDD for running Linux Machine as it may corrupt the HDD.

3. I attached the internal micro sd card with a usb adapter. Then I attached this in my PC
*Note: when I used my windows xp for this, it cannot detect the microsd card. This is because the filesystem of it was linux. The obvious choice would be to view it via a linux os. In my case, I used ubuntu.

4. There I finally viewed all files of my Kobo Glo's internal micro sd card and they are still intact! Gladly, I did not do a factory reset.

5. I copied the whole 3.1.0 patch update to the .kobo folder and prayed that this would work.

6. I removed the microsd card from the PC and attached it back to the KG.

7. One thing you would notice is that the Kobo Glo's screen, although in an infinite boot loop, will flicker in an entire black screen once you remove the internal sd card from it.

8. We have to restart the system somehow so that the patch file can be written into the internal memory. The power button is unusable in this state. We cannot remove the battery to force a restart. The only choice is the reset button via the pin hole.

9. I pressed the reset button and the system restarted.

10. After the restart, the Kobo Glo screen will post "CRITICAL ERROR you want to do a factory reset".
YOU HAVE TO PRESS THE (X) BUTTON. Remember, your files are in tact and we just want to do a Manual Patch Update. Doing a factory reset will delete the files in your microsd card. SO DON'T DO A FACTORY RESET.

11. It will take a while before the screen will change from the "CRITICAL ERROR" message. Once the screen change, you'll notice that the screen will turn to UPDATING.

12. Then pray... And pray some more... Drink some coffee... Buy some ice cream... Do whatever you want and wish that this will fix your semi-bricked KG.

13. After the UPDATING and RESTARTING screen, you will be welcomed by your Kobo Glo. Re-attach the back cover.

14. And remember,

Pictures will be posted soon.

Last edited by vernel1008; 12-11-2013 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Suggestions
vernel1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
vernel1008
vernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindvernel1008 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

[RESERVED] For images and other notes
Old 12-09-2013, 03:54 AM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Congratulations for successfully reviving your Glo!
I would suggest however, that the title of your post should read "Guide for Fixing Semi-Bricked Kobo Glo After Failed Manual Update without loosing data." If you don't want to save any files from the device, your approach is much to complicated and, as you say, risky.
If you don't mind loosing data (in most cases this will be the annotations), just power the device off by holding the power slider in the off position for about 20 seconds, and then trigger the factory reset.

As for the problem with the instable usb connection, I had it too on one older laptop. After some experiences similar to yours, I used to copy the KoboRoot.tgz file with another name to the device ( e.g, _KoboRoot.tgz) and after successfully copying renamed it back to the original name.

I would also recommend saving important data before side loading FW.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #4
vernel1008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Congratulations for successfully reviving your Glo!
I would suggest however, that the title of your post should read "Guide for Fixing Semi-Bricked Kobo Glo After Failed Manual Update without loosing data." If you don't want to save any files from the device, your approach is much to complicated and, as you say, risky.
If you don't mind loosing data (in most cases this will be the annotations), just power the device off by holding the power slider in the off position for about 20 seconds, and then trigger the factory reset.

As for the problem with the instable usb connection, I had it too on one older laptop. After some experiences similar to yours, I used to copy the KoboRoot.tgz file with another name to the device ( e.g, _KoboRoot.tgz) and after successfully copying renamed it back to the original name.

I would also recommend saving important data before side loading FW.

Thanks for the suggestion.

It was the first time I ever did an update without a backup.

Yup it's a bit complicated and risky but I'll try to make it simpler. It's for those who never expected to brick their device.

Tags
brick, fix, glo, kobo glo, manual update