Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
popman
popman can extract oil from cheesepopman can extract oil from cheesepopman can extract oil from cheesepopman can extract oil from cheesepopman can extract oil from cheesepopman can extract oil from cheesepopman can extract oil from cheesepopman can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 4
A number of questions related to the kindle source.

I intend to modify and install the kindle firmware available from amazon.
it would make it a lot easier if some knowledgeable person could answer some questions for me.

-how exactly can I go through the process of compiling the modified source? (all snippets are in .tar.bz2 files, so it's pretty daunting, since I have not compiled a program of this size before)

-how may I be able to install the same firmware version which is already installed? (I could easily change the version number, but that might cause issues ahead)

-is there any published run-down of the source available? (I would like to avoid working from scratch if I can help it)
popman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by popman View Post
I intend to modify and install the kindle firmware available from amazon.
it would make it a lot easier if some knowledgeable person could answer some questions for me.

-how exactly can I go through the process of compiling the modified source? (all snippets are in .tar.bz2 files, so it's pretty daunting, since I have not compiled a program of this size before)

-how may I be able to install the same firmware version which is already installed? (I could easily change the version number, but that might cause issues ahead)

-is there any published run-down of the source available? (I would like to avoid working from scratch if I can help it)
I read an overall misunderstanding in these questions, so first . . . .

Pick a model and a version - for that selection;
There are three general license categories of the source materials:
  • Source materials that require that those sources be available to the users of the binaries ;
  • Source materials that are otherwise public, but do not **require** that they be available to the users of the binaries ;
  • Source materials that are private property.
Amazon releases the minimum required for license compliance -
The "Source Code Bundles" only contain the first category materials.

Far, far, far from being a complete enough set to build a replacement of the complete firmware system.

If that is not your intent, if instead you are only interested in building that small (but vital) portion of the firmware represented by the source code bundles . . . .

Then repost your specific goals, and we can give you links to a lot of the background materials and tools.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
popman
popman can extract oil from cheesepopman can extract oil from cheesepopman can extract oil from cheesepopman can extract oil from cheesepopman can extract oil from cheesepopman can extract oil from cheesepopman can extract oil from cheesepopman can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I read an overall misunderstanding in these questions, so first . . . .

Pick a model and a version - for that selection;
There are three general license categories of the source materials:
  • Source materials that require that those sources be available to the users of the binaries ;
  • Source materials that are otherwise public, but do not **require** that they be available to the users of the binaries ;
  • Source materials that are private property.
Amazon releases the minimum required for license compliance -
The "Source Code Bundles" only contain the first category materials.

Far, far, far from being a complete enough set to build a replacement of the complete firmware system.

If that is not your intent, if instead you are only interested in building that small (but vital) portion of the firmware represented by the source code bundles . . . .

Then repost your specific goals, and we can give you links to a lot of the background materials and tools.
my aim is to remove a number of the user subjugating features present on the kindle firmware. (I'm aiming just to do this on the kindle 4 since it's all I can test on)

and, yes the whole source of the firmware is available on amazon's site. (this was confirmed by them when I contacted them)
also, there could be nothing amazon could avoid releasing with the source since the firmware is distributed as a single .bin file licensed under the GNU GPL
popman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I suggest you believe what experienced developers here tell you rather than what someone in CS at amazon believes. Knc was right and the tone of your answer probably won't encourage others to add helpful advice. Not really possible anyway since you didn't go into details about specific things you want to alter.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
knc1 is right.... not amazon's CS... knc is one of our local "source divers"...
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
... and, yes the whole source of the firmware is available on amazon's site. (this was confirmed by them when I contacted them) ...
The GUI framework is partially written in Java, and not only is the source code NOT provided, but the compiled bytecode is obfuscated to make decompiled code MUCH less useful. You should call amazon and ask for a download link to the Java source code for the kindle framework. And while at it, ask for the missing 3.4 and 5.2.0 source code too...

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-14-2012 at 09:55 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
^this. Get me a copy while they are giving them out...
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:42 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
and, yes the whole source of the firmware is available on amazon's site. (this was confirmed by them when I contacted them)
also, there could be nothing amazon could avoid releasing with the source since the firmware is distributed as a single .bin file licensed under the GNU GPL
I'm afraid that this is incorrect. The GPL requires that the GPL'd source be released, not that the system is buildable. In the case of the Kindle's firmware, there are large parts of it which are not covered by the GPL (device drivers, for example), and you cannot use the source to rebuild the firmware.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
I'm amazed - so it actually is possible to put at least three completely false statements in two sentences!

PS: Yay, post number 1337. I think I'll stop posting now.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
L33t baby yeah
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote