Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #91
Jayfa
Jayfa began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Wouldn't that just drive everyone around you nuts.
Especially if the people around you happened to be reading from their nook 2s at the same time - it may start a "page"-"back page" war.
Jayfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #92
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaReader View Post
What would the replacement input device be?
How about a bluetooth remote control? You can prop the Nook up and then sit back and relax, using your very simple remote control for page turns and other navigation functions.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #93
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Now there's a MAN's ereader -- one with a remote.

No, wait. Once you have a remote, you need a BIG SCREEN reader, cuz you no longer need to hold it in your lap.

COMING SOON -- NOOK2
The 64" HD ereader with the all-new eBillboard technology in 3D.
The words jump off the page.

NOW we're talking a REAL MAN's ereader.

On Video Only shelves by Christmas (or "Winter Holiday", if you wish).

Last edited by eGeezer; 09-26-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: everything after the first line -- couldn't control myself
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #94
jediliz
jediliz began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE 3! Just started using it November 24th
I don't have a Nook or Kindle or whatever yet, but I'd hope there would be added support for Audible.com audiobook files, like the Kindle has. I buy these on occasion and would love to have ability to put them on a Nook instead of having to buy a Kindle. That of course would be up to Audible.com AND B&N working together to make sure the files are compatible.
jediliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #95
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
D-pad and buttons.
For a basic reader that would be fine. But both the Nook and the Kindle are designed as much as anything to allow and indeed encourage the user to buy books from their respective stores. The keyboard on the Kindle and the Touch screen on the Nook make it much easier than a simple D-pad and a set of buttons -- while t9 predictive text might work fine, I doubt most users would be that thrilled with it.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #96
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediliz View Post
I don't have a Nook or Kindle or whatever yet, but I'd hope there would be added support for Audible.com audiobook files, like the Kindle has. I buy these on occasion and would love to have ability to put them on a Nook instead of having to buy a Kindle. That of course would be up to Audible.com AND B&N working together to make sure the files are compatible.
I listen to audiobooks from the library all the time. I use a Sansa Clip+ (~$40 at Walmart for 4GB). It's a fantastic MP3 player and supports the 3 major audiobook formats - MP3, WMA, and Audible.

Library audiobooks use MP3 and WMA formats; with the vast majority using WMA. Unfortunately, none of the ereaders I'm aware of support WMA. Most support MP3 as their sole audio format. For audiobook enthusiasts, the Kindle is the most versatile ereader with support for MP3, Audible, and text-to-speech.

That said, if you're really into audiobooks, most MP3 players will play them and I definitely recommend that route over an ereader. Even so, it's great to have a few audiobooks loaded on an ereader for "emergencies".
Old 10-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #97
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I listen to audiobooks from the library all the time. I use a Sansa Clip+ (~$40 at Walmart for 4GB). It's a fantastic MP3 player and supports the 3 major audiobook formats - MP3, WMA, and Audible.

Library audiobooks use MP3 and WMA formats; with the vast majority using WMA. Unfortunately, none of the ereaders I'm aware of support WMA. Most support MP3 as their sole audio format. For audiobook enthusiasts, the Kindle is the most versatile ereader with support for MP3, Audible, and text-to-speech.

That said, if you're really into audiobooks, most MP3 players will play them and I definitely recommend that route over an ereader. Even so, it's great to have a few audiobooks loaded on an ereader for "emergencies".
you bet your bippy that's a great mp3 player, the audio chip in the sansa clip + is outstanding. Music on it can compete with much much more expensive players. Highly reviewed and regarded among audiophiles. Best darn deal on the market.

sorry but I just love that thing.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #98
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Now there's a MAN's ereader -- one with a remote.

No, wait. Once you have a remote, you need a BIG SCREEN reader, cuz you no longer need to hold it in your lap.

COMING SOON -- NOOK2
The 64" HD ereader with the all-new eBillboard technology in 3D.
The words jump off the page.

NOW we're talking a REAL MAN's ereader.

On Video Only shelves by Christmas (or "Winter Holiday", if you wish).
One can never have enough remotes.

What's needed is a remote to track down your misplaced remotes. You wear it around your neck on a manly chain. It would support maybe a dozen remotes.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #99
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
you bet your bippy that's a great mp3 player, the audio chip in the sansa clip + is outstanding. Music on it can compete with much much more expensive players. Highly reviewed and regarded among audiophiles. Best darn deal on the market.

sorry but I just love that thing.
Same here. I never leave home without it. I keep a mix of songs, podcasts, and audiobooks on it. It's my favorite e-gadget.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #100
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
An option would be for BN to use a third party device or even endorse one by selling them in-house.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #101
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediliz View Post
That of course would be up to Audible.com AND B&N working together to make sure the files are compatible.
I doubt that'll ever happen, because Audible is owned by Amazon.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #102
rc748
rc748 began at the beginning.

Device: Coby Kyros MID7015
If you are looking for a sleeve for this unit, they are available at http://Nuvo-Tek.com for under $9 with FREE shipping.
rc748 is offline   Reply With Quote