Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
guspasho
Connoisseur
guspasho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Can I set up collections on the Kindle Touch in Windows?

I just bought a Kindle Touch, excitedly downloaded a bunch of books, and discovered the pain that is trying to navigate the Kindle's library. Trying to create and manage collections on the device is no better.

Can you create collections and manage your books on a Kindle Touch through Windows? I've searched these forums and Google and I'm still unclear. Most answers point to "not yet" but a few imply it can be done, so I'm unclear.

If you can, can someone explain how? I haven't been able to find any nice "Yes, you can, and this is how" answers. Most answers point to using Calibre but it doesn't appear to be designed to create and manage collections, mostly just to create/edit/convert books. The user guide doesn't cover it anywhere either.

All this is frustrating to me because I was looking forward to enjoying my Kindle but instead I dread trying to navigate the library to even find what I want to read.

If it helps any, all my books were downloaded for free. If the free Amazon downloads are DRM-free, all my books should be.

Thanks so much to anyone that can help.
guspasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The 3rd-party approaches to creating collections don't work on the Touch. However, so far as I know, you can import collections from K4PC to the Touch. See for example Tips for the Kindle 4 NT (non-touch). The same approach should work for the Touch.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
guspasho
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The 3rd-party approaches to creating collections don't work on the Touch. However, so far as I know, you can import collections from K4PC to the Touch. See for example Tips for the Kindle 4 NT (non-touch). The same approach should work for the Touch.
Does K4PC support books that aren't downloaded from Amazon? It doesn't appear to.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
Staked
This space for rent
Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Sure it does. Just put the files in whatever the content folder is for Kindle PC. Look in Tools -> Options -> Content to see what folder it is.
Staked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
guspasho
Connoisseur

I've managed to get K4PC to recognize non-Amazon books but it doesn't work with the Touch. I can't get it to sync with it at all. It got one collection off the Touch (only one out of several) but none on to it, nor any books.
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
guspasho
Connoisseur

Any help with getting K4PC to cooperate with the Touch? Is K4PC supposed to support it? Am I doing anything wrong here?
Old 12-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
Bigwuying
Bigwuying began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by guspasho View Post
Any help with getting K4PC to cooperate with the Touch? Is K4PC supposed to support it? Am I doing anything wrong here?
First, you should have the same content in both devices.
Now you can organize the content in the k4pc,
Then you go to archived item in the kindle touch and choose import collection
Bigwuying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
I've managed to get K4PC to recognize non-Amazon books but it doesn't work with the Touch. I can't get it to sync with it at all. It got one collection off the Touch (only one out of several) but none on to it, nor any books.
The Touch seems to very temperamental with collections imports, it is best to do it in batches of 100 books or less. It may be more but I have had good success with 100.

I have a ticket in with Amazon regarding this, the CS passed on my system info to the tech team and I am waiting to hear back from them, hopefully a patch will be released to correct this because it is quite annoying, the only reason I purchased the Touch was to get more room to store more books but I don't want to have to do this multistep importing each time I want to wipe my Touch clean and start again.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:11 PM   #9
guspasho
Connoisseur

I didn't so much solve it as worked around it. I spent the time to manually create several collections. I think if I had a PC interface I could do a better job, and more easily identify books I missed. Creating the right collections is kind of an art. I may revisit it in the near future, especially if I can import them all in to Kindle for PC. However, even that is cumbersome, with its stupid inability to select more than one object at a time. (Come on!)

In the meantime, does anyone know whether you can create nested collections? About half my books are fantasy, a lot of which are serial titles, and would be even more if I dared to upload my Doc Savage collection to it. It would be convenient to have a single folder for fantasy and a subfolder for each series.

In fact, there's a lot I don't understand about the index interface. Like, if some books are in collections and some are not, does the collection sort show me a list of collections and then the books that are in no collections? The questions I know how to ask are the easiest to answer - sometimes - but not the ones I don't know to ask.

I'm going to look that up now. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks, everyone!
Old 12-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
Staked
This space for rent
Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Staked once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
In fact, there's a lot I don't understand about the index interface. Like, if some books are in collections and some are not, does the collection sort show me a list of collections and then the books that are in no collections? The questions I know how to ask are the easiest to answer - sometimes - but not the ones I don't know to ask.
!
On my Kindle Touch if I do sort by collections it lists my collections first then all of my books. Including those not in collections.
Staked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
In the meantime, does anyone know whether you can create nested collections? About half my books are fantasy, a lot of which are serial titles, and would be even more if I dared to upload my Doc Savage collection to it. It would be convenient to have a single folder for fantasy and a subfolder for each series.
No. Collections are tags, not folders. You can apply as many tags as you wish to a single book (ie, add it to as many different collections as you wish) but there's still only a single copy of the book on the device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote