Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #31
worthbanner
worthbanner began at the beginning.

Device: overdrive console
New world

I'm a newbie MobileReader and a newbie to mobile devices. The variety of free ebooks is amazing to me. I expected mostly textbooks. Catch-22 my all-time fave.
worthbanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #32
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjogren View Post
It is a *40* year old book for Pete's sake!...In 10 years it is in the Public Domain in both Australia and Canada.
Hold on! That's not right. In Canada it will enter the public domain fifty years after the author's death, not fifty years after it was first published.

By the way, Catch 22 is 49 years old, first published in 1961. Heller died in 1999, so that means it will go PD in Canada Jan. 1, 2050 (under current law).

Last edited by GA Russell; 11-20-2010 at 09:33 PM.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #33
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
By the way, Catch 22 is 49 years old, first published in 1961. Heller died in 1999, so that means it will go PD in Canada Jan. 1, 2050 (under current law).
By that time *I'll* be in the public domain ...
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:47 AM   #34
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***Under ordinary circumstances, I'd tell you how poorly you understand the concept of a catch-22. However, since you apparently can't procure a copy...***

I've read the book a dozen times at least Kali and realise I took liberties with the concept for my post.

I recall first coming across the paradox way before the book was published when my Old Man was telling me about his wartime service in the Royal Navy. Part of his job on an aircraft carrier was to take notes of some senior officers' conferences. He once went to the ship's store for a new pen and was told he had to sign for it. He couldn't ... because he had no pen.

Of course, back then, it wasn't known as Catch 22. Such impossibilities as having to be sane to want out of the military on the grounds of insanity, though, were anything but rare. Heller's spark of genius was in giving such nonsense a 'catchy' term and in writing such a wonderful novel around it.

Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #35
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
He said it was how He understands it. So, it is his personal interpretation

Btw., it is one of the worst book I have ever read. It is one of the very few (less than 10) I gave up and didn't finish. I think I managed to read 1/3 of it before calling it a day.
Wow, I'm surprised! It's one of my all time favorites.

You might want to give it another chance. It actually gets better and better as you start to get to know and feel for the characters.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #36
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Wow, I'm surprised! It's one of my all time favorites.

You might want to give it another chance. It actually gets better and better as you start to get to know and feel for the characters.
Unfortunately, this is the book that I cannot give a second chance, so much I disliked reading it. It was so joyless. Switching between characters. No logic. Humour is sort of retarded, making fun of people who defend our way of life when we leisurely sitting in warm houses and reading forums.
Dull, dull, dull.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #37
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
I blew that one concerning copyright in Canada and Australia - even though I KNOW that it it based on author's death.

Thanks for correcting my error.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #38
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
*LOL*

thanks for the best laugh i've had all day

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:59 AM   #39
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
More likely underneath it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:32 AM   #40
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrab View Post
Maybe this book will become available as an ebook in Australia one day..
Will it take longer to get it in epub format?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:34 AM   #41
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Maybe this book will become available as an ebook in Australia one day..
Will it take longer to get it in epub format?
Available to anyone for free of course :-

Heller, Joseph - [Catch 22] [rtf].rar
Joseph Heller - [Catch 22] - (v3.0) [htm, jpg].rar
Joseph, Heller - [Catch-22] (v1.0) [txt].rar
Joseph Heller - Catch-22 (v3.0) [lit].rar
Joseph Heller - Catch 22.pdb

epub you'd have to make your own, though....
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:12 AM   #42
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Unfortunately, this is the book that I cannot give a second chance, so much I disliked reading it. It was so joyless. Switching between characters. No logic. Humour is sort of retarded, making fun of people who defend our way of life when we leisurely sitting in warm houses and reading forums.
Dull, dull, dull.
Well, the book doesn't make fun of those who defend our way of life, but rather the bureaucracy that impedes their ability to do so.

To each his own though. One man's trash is another man's treasure
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:19 AM   #43
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Catch-22 was published 1961. The author was born in 1923 and died in 1999.
http://www.gutenberg.net.au/birthdeath.html:
Under Australian copyright law, literary, dramatic, & musical work published, performed, communicated, or recorded and offered for sale in an author's lifetime are, where the author died in or before 1954, protected for the life of the author plus fifty years from the end of the year of the author's death. For authors who died in or after 1955 works are protected for the life of the author plus seventy years from the end of the year of the author's death. After this time they enter into the public domain in Australia.
So, it will become public domain material in Australia at the end of 2069.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:55 AM   #44
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
This news has definitely nudged me closer to buying my first ebook. I too would enjoy re-reading it. I remember being upset when I missed part of the opening scene in the film, with the bombers on the runway, with their engines running. I'd enjoy seeing the film again, too. Think I'll add both to my growing list.

Addendum
I have changed my mind and decided to not buy any books that are restricted by DRM.

Last edited by boxcorner; 11-24-2010 at 05:43 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #45
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
This news has definitely nudged me closer to buying my first ebook. I too would enjoy re-reading it. I remember being upset when I missed part of the opening scene in the film, with the bombers on the runway, with their engines running. I'd enjoy seeing the film again, too. Think I'll add both to my growing list.

Addendum
I have changed my mind and decided to not buy any books that are restricted by DRM.
DRM isn't the enemy in my opinion. I just want DRM to be smarter so you can lend others books or sell them onwards, that's all.