Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
Trel
Connoisseur
Trel began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 3
No usable cover or chapters on Nook

I converted to epub using the nook profile, however, when reading on the nook, I get no chapters in the chapter menu, and go to cover does not bring me to the cover (does nothing).

This happens with every epub I use.

When I manually extracted the epub, it shows a different xhtml file for every chapter.

Is there any way to correct this?
Trel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Trel
Connoisseur

(if it matters, I'm converting from RTF)
Old 01-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Read the section in the user manual on chapter detection, it explains how to create cjhapters in great detail.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
Trel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Read the section in the user manual on chapter detection, it explains how to create cjhapters in great detail.
I'm not really getting it. I just want a cover and basic chapters.
Nothing I'm reading is explaining it in any way that makes sense. I'm not well versed in xhtml at the moment.

Can you possibly explain how I can just get a usable cover and chapters for use on my Nook?

(And I'm pretty sure it's finding chapters, at least I think it is, but nothing I do gets them mentioned in the TOC)

Last edited by Trel; 01-15-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
Trel
Connoisseur

(also if reading the manual was able to clairify it for me, I wouldn't have asked here. I just can't figure out what I'm supposed to be putting in any of the fields)

I can't even get a valid cover for use with "go to cover" on my Nook.

Also, please remember, I'm converting from RTF not anything with tags to detect.

Last edited by Trel; 01-15-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:42 AM   #6
Trel
Connoisseur

Ok I found a "solution"

Code:
//h:span[re:test(., "Chapter \d{0,4}", "")]
For the Level 1 TOC will generate my chapters.

However, unless I knew ahead of time (and I found out by accident) that epub files could be unzipped, there's no possible way I could've figured this out.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...l#introduction
Old 01-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
Trel
Connoisseur

Quote:
I've read that so many times now it's not funny.
At no point does it tell me that I would have to convert once without this information, then unzip the epub (or even that its unzippable) look at the xhtml to see exacctly what the chapter lines are encapsulated in and then convert again but this time, with that information utilized in the TOC generation.

I'm not saying the tutorial doesn't help, but it assumes I knew all of the above, which I didn't and found out purely by accident. If I didn't ever open the epub in notepad for kicks, I would have never seen the header indicating it could even BE unzipped.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Umm it states that the conversion pipeline converts to html internally and that you can access this html using the debug option and that you should use this html to figure out what to put in the XPath (as a matter of fact the way you did it is not correct and may not always work).
Old 01-18-2010, 12:49 AM   #10
Trel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Umm it states that the conversion pipeline converts to html internally and that you can access this html using the debug option and that you should use this html to figure out what to put in the XPath (as a matter of fact the way you did it is not correct and may not always work).
Yes, but I have no other choice as the HTML generated is way too vague.

What is getting generated is
Code:
<span class="none">Chapter 1</span>
That in mind, and the fact that there are MANY span class="none" that aren't chapters, how would you suggest I do it?
Old 01-18-2010, 01:43 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can match on text as well as tags, as explained in the user manual
Old 01-18-2010, 01:58 AM   #12
Trel
Connoisseur

Quote:
You can match on text as well as tags, as explained in the user manual
then how is mine wrong?
Old 01-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Because you're matching on the epub output, not the intermediate html.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #14
Trel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Because you're matching on the epub output, not the intermediate html.
Ok then I how would I do it so that it matches any
Code:
<span class="none fs0">Chapter ????
where chapter is the number?

Code:
//h:span[re:test(@class, "none fs0", "i") and re:test(., "Chapter \d{0,4}", "")]
?

Last edited by Trel; 01-18-2010 at 03:31 PM.