Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
ricou
Enthusiast
ricou doesn't litterricou doesn't litter

Device: bebook
Large PDF ebook reader, should I wait or should I go for kindle dx ?

Hey guys,

I am a fan of ebook, I have discarded paper books for a year now.

I have owned a bebook (which fell and broke, although it was firmly set in its padded leather cover), so I got a Cybook Gen3 to replace it. I use it every day while commuting to work.

I also have an iliad book edition (so no wifi).

Primary use, read books (any format, anyway calibre will rule them all) that I get on the web.

Secondary use, read large size pdf (magazines or Role Playing Games).

I do not care about wifi, and I do not care about touchscreen (I never use it on my iliad, but you cannot get an iliad without a touchscreen anyway). The DX would mostly be used at home. I have also no interest in amazon online purchase services.

I have checked what is available now (the kindle dx) and what should be available in the near future (hanlin v9, QUE reader/plastik logic, sony daily edition and iliad 800).

The later two are of no interest to me. Sony looks too small and I am not that convinced by the Iliad...

So living in Switzerland, (no way to get the dx from amazon, since they do not deliver it), I found an online shop that can send it to me for about 577$ .
I will have to add more or less 7.6% tax + various customs tax (total 10-15%). So let's say I can get the kindle for 700$ (cheaper than what I paid for the iliad by the way).

Is it worth it for my planned use ?
Should I wait for something else ?

I have concerns about DX issues (mostly that the screen is fragile, and the rotating screen too sensitive). I am not bothered by the lacking of comprehensive sorting for books, I upload them one by one anyway...

What do you think ?

I know that a lot of new reader should arrive early in 2010, but most of them have touchscreen, for which I have not interest at all, and should the DX fit the bill, why wait ? Unless a price cut can be foreseen (due to probable heavy competition).

Any feedback is appreciated !

Cheers,
Ricou
ricou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
I traded in my K2 to get a DX because I wanted to be able to put my Role Playing books on it, and most Role Playing books are currently available in pdf. I like it, and have had good luck with most books that I have loaded on it. Occasionally, I have had a few newer release pdfs fail to display all of their graphics, but all in all I have found it to be quite useful.

Also, since I got it right before GenCon in early August, there have only been a few places that I have not carried it along with me. I got an M-Edge leather cover for it and carry it in a smaller, netbook sized messenger bag that is padded for carrying a computer. So far I have had no problems with durability. I take care with it and pay attention to what I am doing while handling it, but so far no issues!
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:41 AM   #3
ricou
Enthusiast

thanks for the feedback, that is reassuring :-)
currently I am using the iliad for pdf, but some pdfs still appear too small (even after I cropped them), so DX looks like a good idea !
Old 11-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The KDX has demonstrated that a 9.7" EInk screen is big enough for letter/A4 PDFs. However, it has the poorest support for PDF features imaginable. Amazon essentially stopped working on it as soon as they could get a PDF to show up on the screen.

There are probably going to be half a dozen ~10" EInk devices announced at CES in January. If you want something now, then the Kindle DX may be the only option at a reasonable price and it does display PDFs well, but it is going to look very second rate by next spring.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:48 AM   #5
ricou
Enthusiast

thanks for the advice, I still think as functionality goes the kindle dx will suffice (I am not interested in touchscreen or wifi), but waiting will give me more options, and maybe a price drop in the kindle (who knows how amazon will react).
the only sure thing is that I am gonna sell my iliad !
Old 11-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricou View Post
but waiting will give me more options, and maybe a price drop in the kindle
Also, Amazon will be selling the Kindle DX internationally next year - although they have not said exactly when.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:55 AM   #7
AnniJM
AnniJM began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre eBook Reader
See my post on thread 'eBook Reader PDF Capabilities' (11/30) regarding the Aluratek Libre eBook Reader.
Maybe the screen would be too small for you, but the text flows perfectly and can be resized as you need.
AnniJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
barkndog
Enthusiast
barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle DX (1st gen), iPad, Toshiba Thrive, Acer Iconia A100
Just a heads up, I put a large PDF file (300+ pages) on my DX and discovered a bug in the Go To Page feature. Whenever I would enter a page number, it would reboot the Kindle. I've reported it and Amazon responded that they were working on it (this has been several months ago, I haven't tested lately).

I haven't had the problem with smaller PDF files - just the very large ones.
barkndog is offline   Reply With Quote