Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #16
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by readerlover View Post
Please do not buy an ereader through eBay. I tried that and got taken. It said it was new but it was anything but. I returned it and got a brand spankin' new Sony PRS-300 via Amazon and I absolutely love it!
If you were able to return it then you really didn't get taken did you. eBay is dealing with other people and not companies and you can get a good one or you might not but I wouldn't just categorically say all eBay is bad based on one reversible experience. eBay does a pretty good job in supporting customers.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #17
jaekqubp
jaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Microsoft Surface Pro, Kindle Fire 2015 (KFFOWI), Nook Simple Touch
Hi, Thanks for the warning. As it turns out, I have purchased a second-hand Nook through eBay, and it went well.
Incidentally, I've been burned, like many others, making purchases on eBay in the past.
Thanks everybody, and happy reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readerlover View Post
Please do not buy an ereader through eBay. I tried that and got taken. It said it was new but it was anything but. I returned it and got a brand spankin' new Sony PRS-300 via Amazon and I absolutely love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
If you were able to return it then you really didn't get taken did you. eBay is dealing with other people and not companies and you can get a good one or you might not but I wouldn't just categorically say all eBay is bad based on one reversible experience. eBay does a pretty good job in supporting customers.

Dale
jaekqubp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:07 PM   #18
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I used nookmanager. It installed relaunch. Works well. I didnt back up the image first because it was too complicated. The nook is hard to brick so I wasnt worried.

Once rooted you will need to go in and rename some apk files to improve battery life.
Here's a thread it was dicussed.
http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...=205245&page=2
see post #20.

Personally I didnt bother with googleplay. I sideload apk files. I dont need much. I use alreader to read epubs, etc.

btw, what did you pay for the nook?

Last edited by Rizla; 01-30-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #19
jaekqubp
jaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoonjaekqubp knows that there *is* no spoon

Hi Rizla, Thanks for all of the guidance.
The Nook was $30, plus shipping, for the reader, charger, and a cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
... btw, what did you pay for the nook?
Old 02-23-2015, 10:43 AM   #20
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I installed the new version of the no refresh app from the xda developer forum by marspeople. It works. It's very handy for browsing (Opera mini) and reading pdfs because you can scroll the document without any flashing. I read pdf in landscape mode. You need to create a screen shortcut to the no refresh app with nook touch tools or via button saviour.

You can even play angry birds and watch videos with no refresh, but for me its useful for pdf reading and browsing.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #21
jaekqubp

Hi Rizla, Thanks for the suggestion. By your experience, how does NoRefresh impact battery life? My understanding is that e-Ink manages its modest power consumption largely due to the infrequency of screen refresh. Additionally, which version of Opera Mini are you using with success? I have found that each one that I've tried crashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I installed the new version of the no refresh app from the xda developer forum by marspeople. It works. It's very handy for browsing (Opera mini) and reading pdfs because you can scroll the document without any flashing. I read pdf in landscape mode. You need to create a screen shortcut to the no refresh app with nook touch tools or via button saviour.

You can even play angry birds and watch videos with no refresh, but for me its useful for pdf reading and browsing.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #22
Rizla
Member Retired

Opera mini 7.5.1

No refresh is fine on the battery. You only turn it on when you need it.

Tags
eink, kindle, kindle touch, nook, nook st