Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
codrutoctavian
Enthusiast
codrutoctavian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
how to reset furthest page read on Kindle

I have a Kindle 3. When I download a new book on my kindle it has a 'new' flag right near the title. I have browsed through most of the books but I haven't read them. Now the 'new' flag is gone. Is there any way to get it back? I have 80+ books in this situation. Maybe deleting some files where the bookmarks are stored?

Thanks
codrutoctavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
No, the new flag disappears after a period of time.....
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
codrutoctavian
Enthusiast

Then how can I reset the last furthest page read? I guess this is stored in some file. Is there any way to do this?
Thanks
Old 01-23-2012, 04:08 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you look at the "documents" folder, you'll find that there are two files associated with the book: one is the book itself, which will have a ".azw" extension; the other file has a ".mbp" extension and stores your reading position, bookmarks, annotations, and so on. Delete the ".mbp" file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:10 AM   #5
codrutoctavian
Enthusiast

I will try it. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
What about the Kindle Server sync file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you look at the "documents" folder, you'll find that there are two files associated with the book: one is the book itself, which will have a ".azw" extension; the other file has a ".mbp" extension and stores your reading position, bookmarks, annotations, and so on. Delete the ".mbp" file.
Our bookmarks, furthest position and annotations are also stored on the Kindle server. Will deleting the MBP file on one device result in the same effect on all devices after syncing?

I use a 3rd Generation Kindle Keyboard, a Kindle Fire and a Kindle 4 PC.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Our bookmarks, furthest position and annotations are also stored on the Kindle server. Will deleting the MBP file on one device result in the same effect on all devices after syncing?

I doubt it. I was referring purely to reading locally. Whispersyc adds a new dimension to it, and I don't know the answer to that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Hmm. Change the metadata a bit in Calibre, and then do a mobi-mobi conversion? (What you want to do is fool your Kindles into thinking it's a different book.)

Of course, this requires a visit to Apprentice Alf first, but it should work to reset the furthest page read across all devices. (Which will all need to have the new version sideloaded.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I had a book that kept syncing to the end because I accidentally selected the last chapter from the table of contents on my KT when I was trying to page forward. I set my Kindle and my Android Kindle app back to page 1. Both would continuously try and sync to the end. I deleted the book from both and re-downloaded. It still tried to sync to the end.

I had to contact Kindle customer service via online chat and have them reset the furthest page read. I requested that this be a feature users can do themselves but I am going to guess it fell on deaf ears.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I am currently reading a large omnibus which is 7 book series in one mobi the problem is unlike other bundles I have purchased the order of the books are not correct.

The order looks like this 3,4,2,5,1,6,7

I have not figured a way to sync this book correctly on both my Kindles. I'm currently on book 4.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I am currently reading a large omnibus which is 7 book series in one mobi the problem is unlike other bundles I have purchased the order of the books are not correct.

The order looks like this 3,4,2,5,1,6,7

I have not figured a way to sync this book correctly on both my Kindles. I'm currently on book 4.
Convert to ePub, split it up, and convert back?

Or every time you move to a new book, do the workaround I suggested above to change it enough in Calibre to then generate it as a new book.

I've occasionally had to do this because my wife and I share our Kindle account, and if she gets to the book first...
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #12
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post

Sorry to link to another site, but its the one I found when doing a search...

Ive done this and it does work..
http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php?topic=25545.0
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've seen a myriad of schemes that all claim to reset the furthest read page (without cracking the book—converting it and/or basically making it new). I've tried them all. The only fool-proof way that works 100% of the time is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan
I had to contact Kindle customer service via online chat and have them reset the furthest page read.
It really should be a feature by now.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It really should be a feature by now.
Yes. It is all too easy to have your furthest page inadvertently set near the end of the book when you're reading something containing a lot of linked footnotes.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote