Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
svennn
svennn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Archos 5 IT or Sony or.......?

I've been consuming the various opinions on these boards for a while now. I have been about to pull the trigger on a number of occasions but put it off for different reasons.

I like the feature set of the Sony but the simplicity of the Kindle or Nook. I am very tech savvy and I am don't mind converting format (I do that now to read on my iTouch) or stripping DRM on books I own.

So, I see today that Radio Shack now has the Archos 5 IT Android for $250. That is a compelling price for a 5" screen devise that could be used as a reader. Has anyone used one for this? I have watched the video on youtube and it looks pretty good? If it had ADE it would be a no brainer.

Having never used and reader at all other then an iPod Touch, would it be that much worse then an eink reader?

Any thoughts and input would be great.

-Steve
svennn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I have the Archos 5 Android version. Frankly I can't imagine using it as an ebook reader. It's great for carrying movies, videos, music, etc...but ebooks?? nah...

For one thing, the battery life is not sufficient for reading (just 3 hours more or less) and I think the screen is just not suited to it. I tried reading a book on my iPod also and I had eyestrain with a splitting headache in an hour.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I too have an Archos. The reason it's not listed in my profile on the left is that I wouldn't dream of using it as an eBook reader. Take my advice and get a "real" book reader if you're at all serious about reading; you won't regret it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
svennn

Good enough answer for me. I will cross it off my list.

It is looking more and more like a kindle is in my future. I would have bought a Nook the other day in store if they had them. I just don't want to wait until January.

-Steve
Old 12-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Whatever you buy (and may you be delighted with it), bear in mind that by this time next year, there'll be much better available. The pace is starting to pick up (at long last)
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
svennn

I have noticed the increase of potential readers coming to market.

One thing I wonder about, will "better" mean bigger, higher resolution screens? Or just more choices with varying features?

I'm really trying to balance my techie side that wants the newest and greatest with the practical side that wants just a book reader. I don't need mp3, TTS, or a web browser. I don't expect my paper books to do those things why should my ereader? I have a phone and laptop that do all those things.

That is why I'm torn between the Kindle Refurb deal or an Astak 6" for cheap.

-Steve
Old 12-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
My guesses, for what they're worth:

Cheaper
More grayscales
Wider range screen sizes
More standardisation of formats
Loads of unnecessary (IMO) extra features
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote