Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-21-2009, 12:18 PM   #16
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post

With regards to typesetting information, it was generated with XeLaTeX using 11 pt embedded Adobe Garamond (but it isn't looking great, so I'm going to change the font)... 90mm by 120mm page, minimal borders (the exact dimensions I do not recall off the top of my head).
What else did you want to know?
No, I think that was all

With a PDF, I'd be interested to know such things - and a colophon would be a good idea. I think the book looked nice, and even if the type and the rendering weren't 'ideal', it was still nice and a good choice of font. Too small for me, but then I can just make my own book
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #17
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
No, I think that was all

With a PDF, I'd be interested to know such things - and a colophon would be a good idea. I think the book looked nice, and even if the type and the rendering weren't 'ideal', it was still nice and a good choice of font. Too small for me, but then I can just make my own book
I have the notion of eventually getting around to making a few different versions of the PDF.

What size would you prefer? 13pt? 14pt?

I could make it quickly for you (albeit without some fixups... that almost only impact the Supplement at the end of the book though).

- Ahi

Ps.: Or did you want the LaTeX file?
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #18
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
I have the notion of eventually getting around to making a few different versions of the PDF.

What size would you prefer? 13pt? 14pt?

I could make it quickly for you (albeit without some fixups... that almost only impact the Supplement at the end of the book though).

- Ahi

Ps.: Or did you want the LaTeX file?
I would like a 13pt very much

I'd be fine without the fixups, no problem at all. And I can live without the LaTeX file. LaTeX certainly has its strenghts, but...
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #19
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
So... who's making a new ePub version of the Memoirs?
Is it a challenge?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #20
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Is it a challenge?
Damn right!
Old 08-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #21
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I would like a 13pt very much

I'd be fine without the fixups, no problem at all. And I can live without the LaTeX file. LaTeX certainly has its strenghts, but...
It's a pain... particularly at this size. I know.

I'll get around to the fixups... if you are not too quick a reader, possibly before you get past the 9000th page (a few hundred pages whereafter the more annoying issues start).

Errr... it's definitely hairy in the Supplement. But seems otherwise not too bad for the upsizing. It's 14pt, as I realized I did not know how to easily tune it up only to 13pt. Let me know how this is.

- Ahi
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Casanova_-_Memoirs_-_Large_Type.pdf (17.35 MB, 323 views)
Old 08-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Do you also change the slope of your staircases in order to deviate from the building code by just the right amount?

- Ahi

Ps.: If you aren't just complaining for complaining's sake, I'll be happy to post a Just-for-JSWolf version... just tell me what the perfect paragraph indentation is.
I'm just pointing out things that if I had wanted to read it, I would like fixed. But no need to fix them. But what you see is that I cannot do any of the things I mentioned. You'd have to do them all. The source won't do me any good as I don't have latex. So from the standpoint of your having to do all the fixes, PDF is not the proper format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:38 PM   #23
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm just pointing out things that if I had wanted to read it, I would like fixed. But no need to fix them. But what you see is that I cannot do any of the things I mentioned. You'd have to do them all. The source won't do me any good as I don't have latex. So from the standpoint of your having to do all the fixes, PDF is not the proper format.
And what I intend to point out is that in terms of more than a few things you seem to want to do, it is better to have it done by somebody that knows what they are doing.

PDF is the only eBook format--anything that reflows is not a book.

Having said that, this is a pointless argument between you and I. You don't give a damn how typographically bad or amateurish your books look, so long as they look the way they do on your terms; and I cannot stand the universally typographically poor output produced by reflow formats.

We won't convince one another, I'm certain by now... and your arguments (much as mine, obviously) are falling on deaf ears because they are usually perceived as being pointless or altogether wrong-headed.

- Ahi
Old 08-26-2009, 11:11 AM   #24
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Damn right!
It was not so hard, after all...

You may want to correct some things in the PDF:

p. 1016:
Chapter XIII -> Chapter XXIII

p. 1398:
En voyant... -> it's a verse

p. 1495:
Sincerium est nisi... -> it's a verse

p. 1516:
Nec metuam... -> it's a verse

p. 1670:
Ma tiranno... -> it's a verse

p. 1918:
measure:`fathoms' -> measure `fathoms'

p. 2307:
Crebellon -> Crebillon

p. 2308:
abbe of\\St. Germain-des-pres -> abbe of St. Germain-des-pres

p. 3991:
Cantabit... -> it's a verse

p. 4296:
O tempora! O mores! -> it's a verse

p. 4776:
Turpius ejecitur -> it's a verse

p. 5413:
Giacome -> Giacomo
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #25
ahi
Wizard

Thanks for the tips! Will do!

Last edited by ahi; 08-27-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:58 AM   #26
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Ahi, just wondering where in Canada you are from, you remind me very much of my neighbor
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:48 AM   #27
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGB View Post
Ahi, just wondering where in Canada you are from, you remind me very much of my neighbor
You have an arrogant, opinionated, abrasive neighbour?

I'm from Toronto... but, alas, I do not know my neighbours, so I don't think I'm the Gent you wonder I might be.

Pray tell more though about this Stallion of a Scholar you have mistaken me for!

- Ahi
Old 09-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #28
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
I'm from Toronto... but, alas, I do not know my neighbours, so I don't think I'm the Gent you wonder I might be.
T.O. T.O. T.O.

ahi, Toronto proper or GTA? ( I'm in Vaughan )

Btw, I converted Jellby's 'Memoirs of Casanova.epub' into my readers' .imp formats, as they can't read .pdf ebooks natively.

Otherwise, your .pdf would only be images if converted with PDFRead. I do, however, prefer accessing the text directly for look-ups, highlights, etc..
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #29
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
T.O. T.O. T.O.

ahi, Toronto proper or GTA? ( I'm in Vaughan )

Btw, I converted Jellby's 'Memoirs of Casanova.epub' into my readers' .imp formats, as they can't read .pdf ebooks natively.

Otherwise, your .pdf would only be images if converted with PDFRead. I do, however, prefer accessing the text directly for look-ups, highlights, etc..
Toronto proper. And good to hear on the imp conversion!

- Ahi
Old 09-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #30
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Toronto proper.
Oh, btw, I have a few of my relatives, in Toronto, that have been in the printing business for over 30 years (and Mac fanatics).

I helped technically in the early days working on Amigas and IBM AT's and really enjoyed seeing layouts taking on a whole creative life of their own.

Sadly, I never made it my profession, but my relatives have: my uncle Franco, and most notably my cousin Sam Rapallo, publisher of the now defunct Electric Magic (and now webmaster of www.ledzeppelin.com).

Click image for larger version

Name:	EM-Premiere Issue.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	35323
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote