Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-26-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Free Book - His Robot Girlfriend

My latest novel is called His Robot Girlfriend and is available as a free download at my blog http://amathar.blogspot.com/ or on Smashwords http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1864.

Mike Smith’s life was crap, living all alone, years after his wife had died and his children had grown up and moved away. Then he saw the commercial for the Daffodil. Far more than other robots, the Daffodil could become anything and everything he wanted it to be. Mike’s life is about to change.

From the author of “Princess of Amathar comes the tale of the year 2032, when robots are common… not to mention, cute.

Folding back the two flaps of the box lid, Mike looked down to find it filled with packing peanuts. Brushing some of them out of the way, he almost immediately found a patch of smooth white skin. It was remarkably real looking—pearlescent on the surface and kind of peachy pink beneath, but not a single blemish or mole or hair upon it. Mike brushed more packing peanuts out onto the floor and uncovered more skin, and then plastic with black hair inside. Finally, setting the knife on the coffee table, he tipped the box over, dumping the contents into the center of the floor. White packing went everywhere. The Daffodil rolled out and came to rest on its side, facing away from him. It was curled up tightly into a ball.

At first, Mike thought he must have ordered the wrong robot. Curled up as it was, it looked like a child. He just stared at it for a moment; at its naked back and buttocks and its black hair wrapped up in plastic. Finally he kicked around through the packing peanuts. There didn’t seem to be a manual—just a single sheet of paper marked “Quick Setup”. He picked it up and looked at it. There were two pictures and no words. The first picture showed line drawing of the back of a human-looking neck, except that the neck had three round holes in it and below them a button. The second picture showed the button being pushed by a line-drawn finger. Next to the button and the finger were the numerals 1, 2, 3. Bending down, Mike lifted up the plastic wrapped hair and examined the Daffodil’s neck. There were the three holes and there was the button. He pressed it and counted aloud “one, two, three”. Then he let go.

I apologize if anyone feels I've overposted, since I discussed this book on the "Tell us about your ebooks" thread in the Writer's Corner, but I wanted to post a complete description here. And thanks to everyone who downloads and reads the book.

Last edited by HistoryWes; 05-26-2009 at 12:05 PM.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
I apologize if anyone feels I've overposted, since I discussed this book on the "Tell us about your ebooks" thread in the Writer's Corner, but I wanted to post a complete description here. And thanks to everyone who downloads and reads the book.
It's always good to post as, trying to keep up with all the threads on MR is getting to be like reading a newspaper! Sometimes, I miss something just because I cruised through at the wrong time of day.

Thank you for offering your work to us. This looks like it will be a fun read.
I have downloaded and placed it in my summer vacation to-be-read folder in my 505.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks again to all of you who have downloaded His Robot Girlfriend. There have been over 500 downloads so far. Now, if one or two of you could find the time to read it, and maybe even write and post a review on Smashwords http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1864? I know its asking a lot, but I would really appreciate it.

P.S. Alternatively you could post your review to Amazon.com, where it is listed in paperback form.

Last edited by HistoryWes; 05-27-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #4
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
Thanks again to all of you who have downloaded His Robot Girlfriend. There have been over 500 downloads so far. Now, if one or two of you could find the time to read it, and maybe even write and post a review on Smashwords http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1864? I know its asking a lot, but I would really appreciate it.

P.S. Alternatively you could post your review to Amazon.com, where it is listed in paperback form.
I had problems trying to DL the RTF version. Got the MOBI & PDF just fine.

Thanks.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #5
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist

Thanks for letting me know. If rtf is important you might try downloading it again. I just checked it and it seemed alright for me. The original upload was rtf so theoretically it should be the least problematic format. I'm glad the other formats were okay. Thanks for downloading it.
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
Thank you!!

Just downloaded 'His Robot Girlfriend'. Looking forward to reading it.

GypsyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
am_mread
Head Goat
am_mread is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 11.
It was a fun read, read it pretty quickly this afternoon! Good job.
am_mread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:24 AM   #8
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
This seems to be an interesting read. I'll download it immediately and thanks for offering your work to us.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:54 AM   #9
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
I'm reading it right now, and it's very cool so far. It would be nice if you had an HTML version that you could download as one big file to read locally -- the HTML version online seems to be broken up in pages, as does the JavaScript version. The text version, oddly enough, is full of HTML tags, so I just had to make a few adjustments to get it to display the way I like it in my browser (I like a blank space between paragraphs) and rename it as an HTML file, and it sufficed, but I don't know if I'm missing any italics and other formatting.

Also, I was quite surprised to see that you live very close to me. Awesome!
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #10
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist

Thanks to all of you for your kind words. I am going back to see if it is me or Smashwords that is causing those problems. Also, I hope to have a Feedbooks version up soon. They use a different converter, so it may be better for some formats.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:14 AM   #11
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
This book seemed quite interesting so I pushed it ahead on my reading queue and I am so glad I did as it would have to be one of my favorite author freebies.
Reading author freebies is a pretty hit and miss affair that sometimes you have to start 4 or 5 of them to get an interesting one buy His Robot Girlfriend hit the spot
By the way if you enjoy this seek out the 80's movie Cherry 2000 which also deals with this situation albeit in a different way.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:52 AM   #12
ladyjane
I hate to clean
ladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, Acer NetBook
Thanks for the book, just finished downloading to my sony and it looks great..one more book to finish and yours will be next.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #13
Cassy
Zealot
Cassy began at the beginning.

Device: Silver Sony PRS 505
Just wanted to say thank you! I'm about half way through it and its great so far
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist

Thank you for the kind words. I really hope you enjoy the rest of it. For those having some difficulties with the edition at http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1864, there is now a feedbooks edition at http://www.feedbooks.com/userbook/5854. Someday I really want to learn to make my books look like the hand crafted books here.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #15
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
I read this book for 3 straight hours last night, until I couldn't stay awake to read any more. I've just started chapter 10, so I'm nearly finished. I can't wait to dip back into it and finish it tonight.

Its fun and a nice, light read. Thanks for sharing your book with us, Wes... I want my own Daffodil now!
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote