Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #46
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
  • Double-tap on the word that you want to look up
  • Tap on the left-hand icon (ie the one like an open book with A in the middle)
  • Press the hardware button to the left of OPTIONS (ie the one like a magnifying glass containing +)
  • Tap XS, S, M, L, XL or XXL, to change the font size
  • Tap the right-hand icon (ie the one containing X) to close the magnifier
  • The dictionary's text will now be displayed larger (or smaller)
  • Swipe (or use the page-turn buttons) to scroll through the dictionary, in the usual way
Just tested it. It works! Brilliant!
Thanks
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:42 PM   #47
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
dorino, by overpriced I assume you are comparing it to the Kindle wifi? That really did set a new standard for value, IMO. Sony appears to have responded with both the current price drop and a trade-in program. With the trade-in they are clearly targeting the early adopter market, those of us who bought a last-generation e-reader. The net cost is BELOW the Kindle wifi to us.

I'll agree it is very selective marketing and Sony is strange in lots of ways. I imagine they want to make a profit on the hardware, as their e-book store is likely losing to Amazon and B&N (just my opinion, no link to share yet).
Well, I mean in comparison to the nook wifi, kindle 3 wifi, kobo, etc...

The PRS-650 is quality but it's expensive in comparison to other readers. Touch isn't something I used as much as I expected to on the 600, tbh. :P
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #48
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
I bought it for the following reasons:

1 - I trust the brand. I always was very satisfied with the products SONY releases. I still have magnetic tape walkmans that work wonderfully.

2 - Perceived quality. The devices looks solid and well built. I feel they might work without problems for a very long time.

3 - Screen quality. I had the PRS 300 and as soon as i saw a 350 i had to buy it. The sharpness and contrast was so much better.

4 - Dictionary and ease of access to the dictionary functions. I had a dictionary in my previous readers but it was such a pain to look for the word i wanted and then suddenly the touchscreen function makes it so easy and fast! I also like that it has several languages and i also hope i will have a Portuguese language dictionary soon. The prospect of having more languages in the dictionary mode was also a motivation.

5 - Availability of formats. Kindle is a big no for me because of the format restriction. I know you can convert, but i don't want to have the trouble.

6 - Aesthetics. I could never have a reader that i thought it is ugly. Design and aesthetic appeal is very important to me. And in my opinion Sony has the nicer looking devices in the market. I Find Kindle so-so, and other readers like Pocketbook or Aztak, iRex, Aluratek, Ectaco and Bookeen frankly grotesque. The Nook looks good.

7 - Portability. I think the 350 is the smallest or one of the smallest devices around. With a reasonable screen size, and no space lost to a keyboard, it makes a great screen size/total size ratio.

Last edited by Salgueiros; 11-24-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #49
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
My 650 has two expansion slots:
  • Memory Stick PRO Duo
  • SD card
I don't want a 650. I don't want a touchscreen, and I want to switch to a 5" screen. I'm looking at the 350 as a possible replacement.

My top priorities are battery life and portability (small size); the 505 I have is larger than ideal for me. To switch to another 6" reader it'd have to offer *substantial* gains in use... folder support and more filetypes and easier switching between books, at the least. EZReader has these things; the new Sonys don't.

I read on a Clié for two years before I got a dedicated reader; if I'd had the option of one of those with a 14-hour battery, I never would've looked at e-ink. (They don't make PDAs with 14-hour batteries. And these days, I'm not sure I'd settle for that little; I like not having to worry about recharging over a holiday weekend.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:26 AM   #50
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Disadvantage of the Sony: it won't activate the dictionary when I'm reading my home-generated PDF's. I haven't tried it on the Kindle yet (I'll try tonight).
Just checked the Kindle, it won't work on my PDF's either. So, it's my PDF, not the device...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I don't want a 650. I don't want a touchscreen, and I want to switch to a 5" screen. I'm looking at the 350 as a possible replacement.
Then you don't want the 350 either. It also has a touchscreen...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 03:51 AM   #51
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
... I don't want a touchscreen... I'm looking at the 350 ... My top priorities are battery life ...
Extend the time between charges by not using the touch-screen.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:39 AM   #52
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:

My top priorities are battery life and portability (small size); the 505 I have is larger than ideal for me.
Bookeen Cybook? A friend of mine has the newest 5" one; it's almost as small as the 350.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #53
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Then you don't want the 350 either. It also has a touchscreen...
Well, damn. I hope Astak gets their act together soon. Jetbook or JBL is looking better and better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Bookeen Cybook? A friend of mine has the newest 5" one; it's almost as small as the 350.
I'd lose RTF support. I'd like to add HTML support, but I love not having to put stuff into a specific ebook-conversion program.

Last edited by Elfwreck; 11-25-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #54
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I would like to talk for a moment about why I asked this question in the first place. I am constantly asked "Which reader is best for me?" by friends and I have understood from the Kindle owners as well as playing with one a few times as to what the best features of a kindle is. I have and Aluratek, so I know what the best features of that one is. No one that I know has a Sony PRS at all so I asked this question to get a sense as to the features that set the Sony apart from the rest of the readers. From the talk here I am getting a good sense as to what set the Sony PRS readers apart. Owners talked about the double tap function and the multilingual dictionaries. Thus if I have any pal that needs a reader that has an integrated dictionary then I will send them the Sony PRS way. I am not attempting to convince anyone of anything but getting the sense from Sony owners the unique functions. My Aluratek has nothing in the way of dictionaries but is the best thing if you want to pay an extra low price. If price is not a consideration or one is willing to trade that away for some functions then the Aluratek is not the best way to go.

Personally I have nothing against Sony PRS readers, simply don't want to pay that much.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #55
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
There's also the margin cropping and adjustable contrast - I don't think other devices have that?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #56
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
... I have nothing against Sony PRS readers, simply don't want to pay that much.
So, given what you now know about Sony PRS readers and if money wasn't an issue, would you buy one, or would you buy something else, if which case what?
Old 11-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #57
Hmcgovern
Hmcgovern began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E reader
Sony e reader is in locked state. How do you unlock?
Hmcgovern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #58
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmcgovern View Post
Sony e reader is in locked state. How do you unlock?
Welcome to MR.

Presumably you mean it's frozen, or has hung up. Which Sony reader have you got?

Is its battery charged? Is there anything displayed on the screen, or is it blank? If the battery is in a discharged state then it should be charged before turning on the reader. Note that the battery icon does not indicate remaining battery power while it is being charged.

Have you tried the reset hole? Reset the reader by inserting a pin or clip in the reset hole (ie located next to the USB socket). Then slide the power switch to restart the reader.

Assuming you manage to get your reader working again, and assuming your "E reader" is a PRS like mine, then you'll find this information in the Troubleshooting section of the User Guide, on pages 96 & 97.

Good luck!

Last edited by boxcorner; 11-26-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:28 AM   #59
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Unfortunately folks the Pandigital Novel also has the swipe function as well. My Aluratek also has the pocket feature as well. I can see the double tap for the dictionary and the screen quality.
You are being unrealistic expecting people to be aware of the features Sony shares or does not share with other devices--most people do not have other devices to compare the Sony with.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #60
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Besides all the pluses of the Sony Readers over the Kindle that everyone has mentioned, I love the Professional look of the Sony Reader. It IS the Rolls Royce of readers.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote