Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
What shows on the Paperwhite (not SO) screen when in standby?

I know that special offers show on the screen when you have the SO model, but what shows when you pay extra for no special offers?

My sister, who has sworn for years that she'll never read eBooks, is considering the PaperWhite or a Fire. But she really likes how my Sony T1 shows the cover of the book I'm currently reading.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
It's not the cover of the books as far as I know. I believe it reverts to letters or pencils etc. Whatever the screen savers are on the device prior to connecting to the web to show special offers.

There may be a hack out there for people who want it to show the book cover but I don't know about such things.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
mroek
mroek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
On mine it shows some random screensaver image like Shopaholic describes.
mroek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Ah, so Amazon still has the pre-programmed screen savers. I remember my K2 or K3 had the creepy author art - I remember they freaked out my toddler at the time. Now she wants her own reader.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
Ah, so Amazon still has the pre-programmed screen savers. I remember my K2 or K3 had the creepy author art - I remember they freaked out my toddler at the time. Now she wants her own reader.
No, no more creepy authors. I made a screenshot with all 20 of the possible screensavers that are on the PW:
(click to enlarge) Click image for larger version

Name:	screensaver.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	100516

The real ones are of course in perfect quality and at full resolution.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 02-01-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: reattached lost attachment
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
There may be a hack out there for people who want it to show the book cover but I don't know about such things.
There is a hack that allows you to either show the cover of the current book that you are reading or you can add your own pictures. You need to Jailbreak your PW first to add the hack. Information is available in the Kindle Developer's Corner sub-forum. The Jailbreak and Screensaver hack are very easy to accomplish with minimal computer skills --directions are excellent and the people are very helpful.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:38 AM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
There is a hack that allows you to either show the cover of the current book that you are reading or you can add your own pictures. You need to Jailbreak your PW first to add the hack. Information is available in the Kindle Developer's Corner sub-forum. The Jailbreak and Screensaver hack are very easy to accomplish with minimal computer skills --directions are excellent and the people are very helpful.
I figured it was out there but I'm not into the hacking thing. I'm not willing to risk bricking the device & I like it fine just the way it is.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote