Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
Geekmasters idea about the "all-in-one" solution for hack packages reminds me somehow of the package you (ixtab) made for the german localisation.

So we could create an extra thread where people could check on a multiple choice form the hacks they want and someone having nothing else to do puts the packages together and even delivers to a given e-mail adress. ;-)
Better yet, let the server of that multiple choice form do it.
Follow the OBS references in the kTizen thread.
Maybe even give the OpenSUSE web-interface to the live OBS builder a try.

Configuring an OBS instance to produce the Kindle custom installs is the way to go (unless you are volunteering to build for people 24/7 on demand).

That is how to produce a single "auto-install" package that contains only the user's choice of custom additions/changes.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
Geekmasters idea about the "all-in-one" solution for hack packages reminds me somehow of the package you (ixtab) made for the german localisation.

So we could create an extra thread where people could check on a multiple choice form the hacks they want and someone having nothing else to do puts the packages together and even delivers to a given e-mail adress. ;-)
This reminds me of a puzz... eh, opkg and opkg GUI (with plans of making package repository).
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #18
ricocarlos
ricocarlos began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE
I tried this and now my Kindle Touch is frozen, and I can't see it via USB. Am I bricked or is there a solution?
ricocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricocarlos View Post
I tried this and now my Kindle Touch is frozen, and I can't see it via USB. Am I bricked or is there a solution?
First question that comes to mind:
Is the battery charged?

If there isn't any way now to know the battery charge state, then just leave it on the wall charger.
It may complete all by itself once the battery gets recharged.

Note that if the only way you have to recharge it is a computer's USB port, often a computer is optioned to shut off the USB power when it "goes to sleep".

If that doesn't "fix" it, then tell us a bit more about what you have done and what happened.

Last edited by knc1; 05-31-2012 at 05:52 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #20
ricocarlos

I copied over the files, rebooted, came to the screen, scrolled to where it said Exit, Reboot or Disable Diags. When I tapped that it froze and has remained frozen. It is on external power. Holding the power for 20 seconds does nothing.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #21
ricocarlos

Screenshot

Here is an image of where it is frozen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindletouch.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	87169  
Old 06-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #22
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Here is an image of where it is frozen.
Dead battery? Try plugging it into a power cube for a few hours, then use MfgTool to get it into fastboot mode and charge it a few more hours...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #23
ricocarlos

I had it charging overnight so I don't think the battery is dead.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #24
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I had it charging overnight so I don't think the battery is dead.
How did you charge it?

There are reports that the kindles do not charge in diags mode.

I have also had kindles go totally dead (to the point where I thought they were bricked) when left in diags with the USB connected.

That is why I said to use an standalone charger (external power cube).
Old 06-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #25
ricocarlos

I've tried charging with the power cube. It shows the amber light as though it is charging, but after six hours of charging it is still dead.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #26
geekmaster

Quote:
I've tried charging with the power cube. It shows the amber light as though it is charging, but after six hours of charging it is still dead.
Does the display still show diags mode as shown in the photo that you posted?

If it is in diags mode, it may take a LOT more than 6 hours to charge, even on a wall charger.

After charging, can you get it into USB Downloader mode? What is the USB VID/PID after you try to get it into USB Downloader mode?

Does MfgTool see it? If yes, then can you get it into fastboot mode? Does the fastboot tool see it? What is the VID/PID after you try to get it into fastboot mode?

When you report it as "still dead" without any useful details, that does not supply us with enough useful information for us to help you diagnose the problem.

We need to know what steps you have taken to try to debrick your kindle AFTER your charged it, and what were the results of each thing that you tried. How did you decide that it was "still dead"?

Please supply the answers to all of the above questions, so that we can help you.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-02-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #27
ricocarlos

First of all, I need to thank you for all your help. I really do appreciate it.
The display still shows the same as my photo. After charging overnight, I plugged it into my computer and it detected the Kindle, but nothing shows up in My Computer.
Where can I download MfgTool and instructions?
I am sorry to respond so sporadically. I have been sick today. Again, thanks so much for your help.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #28
geekmaster

Quote:
First of all, I need to thank you for all your help. I really do appreciate it.
The display still shows the same as my photo. After charging overnight, I plugged it into my computer and it detected the Kindle, but nothing shows up in My Computer.
Where can I download MfgTool and instructions?
I am sorry to respond so sporadically. I have been sick today. Again, thanks so much for your help.
When the kindle shows up as a 0-byte empty usb drive, that means that it is either in low-power mode (from a low battery), or it is bricked. Sometimes the REAL usb drive shows up complete with all its contents for about 10 to 30 seconds during bootup, before switching to low-power (Fake USB Drive) mode.

Many of the questions that I asked are still unanswered. If you want help, you need to do as we request so that we can help you to HELP YOURSELF. We do not have physical access to your kindle. We must rely on you to do the steps that we cannot do for you.

Please answer my questions. If you do not answer our questions so that we can help you, then why do you waste our time by asking for help? I will not ask again.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-02-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #29
ricocarlos

I haven't gotten into USB Downloader mode. I will recharge it tonight and try again.

Tags
jailbreak, kindle touch