Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #1
sinthemau
sinthemau began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Question Glo HD...no way to zoom epub images?

Hello all,

my first post and would like to say thanks you all that I have read and learn a lot about Kobo...

2 days with a Glo HD and all really goes well:
- installed hacked firmware
- Nightmode
- [GUI Plugin] Kobo Utilities
- Kobo Tweaks
- new dictionaries

All good but...there is always a but...

No way to have the pinch zoom for epub images

I've the pinchToZoom=true and ImageZoom=true in the file Kobo eReader.conf.
Also tried the Multitouch hack as in the thread -->Two-fingers light control on older models - done at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=232431
But it doesn't work at all

Have you some suggestions please... I really miss this possibility!

Thanks so much from Genova Italy
sinthemau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Are you sending your books to the Kobo as standard epubs or as kepubs? I think image zoom only works in kepubs (both sideloaded and official Kobo-bought). I usually use double-tap not pinch-zoom.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2016, 06:03 PM   #3
sinthemau
sinthemau began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
You could be right!
I have used only simple epubs, my library is all in this format, coming from a Sony.

I have to try with kepub, but it's a pity if it doesn't work with epub too

sinthemau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #4
Glas
Glas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Sony PRS-T1
Is there really no way to zoom in on epub images on vanilla Glo HD? Lack of this feature makes travel guides close to useless on an ereader.
Glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:11 AM   #5
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glas View Post
Is there really no way to zoom in on epub images on vanilla Glo HD? Lack of this feature makes travel guides close to useless on an ereader.
If your epubs are without DRM, Calibre can automatically convert them to kepub format. I think kepubs are rendered with a different program than the one used for epubs.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2016, 05:23 AM   #6
Glas
Glas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
If your epubs are without DRM, Calibre can automatically convert them to kepub format. I think kepubs are rendered with a different program than the one used for epubs.
I installed the kepub output plugin for Calibre I found on this forum manually, converted the epub to kepub, and now I can zoom in on the images.

Thank you very much for the tip! Too bad we need to go through this extra step, but at least it's a fairly easy workaround.
Glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:44 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glas View Post
I
Thank you very much for the tip! Too bad we need to go through this extra step, but at least it's a fairly easy workaround.
If you use the Kobo Touch Extended driver, you can have that do the EPUB -> KEPUB conversion on the fly when sending your EPUBs to your Kobo. No extra coversion step (and format in Calibre) needed.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:11 PM   #8
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
You may not actually have to convert the books. Just rename them from the single file extension ".epub" to the double file extension ".kepub.epub" to invoke the Kobo reading software (without quotation marks, of course); there are two different ebook-rendering engines built into the Kobo, and the presence or absence of the ".kepub.epub" extension determines which one is used to render a book.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:46 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
You may not actually have to convert the books. Just rename them from the single file extension ".epub" to the double file extension ".kepub.epub" to invoke the Kobo reading software (without quotation marks, of course); there are two different ebook-rendering engines built into the Kobo, and the presence or absence of the ".kepub.epub" extension determines which one is used to render a book.
That works and is a good way to test this. But, the method used to store positions in the book (current reading position and bookmarks) is different to epubs. This relies on spans added around each sentence with ids that follow a certain pattern. Without these, if you close and reopen a book, it will open to the beginning of the chapter or the book. The conversion or the driver adds the spans.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote