Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
Dullahir
Zealot
Dullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Android
Was this feature removed?

In earlier versions of Calibre, I was able to specify how many files I wanted to convert at one time, by adjusting the Core settings. (This laptop is a dual-core, so two jobs would be max. My desktop is triple, so three jobs would be max.)

However, when I try to locate that setting once more, I believe it was in the 'Behavior' settings, I am unable to do so.

So my questions are a couple:

If this setting still exists, if I were to adjust it to only convert one at a time, would it go faster, since it would dedicate all resources to a specific job at a time?

And if this still exists, was it moved? If so, where is the new location?

Thank you.

Edit:

Sorry sorry, lol, I was totally wrong.

It is in the Miscellaneous section, and it is still there. Sorry about that!

But yes, would it go faster, one at a time?

Last edited by Dullahir; 07-20-2013 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Redundant
Dullahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think the ones you're after are in Preferences->Miscellaneous

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Dullahir
Zealot
Dullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Android
Yes it is, thank you. But will it speed up the conversion process?
Dullahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Since calibre does not use multiple threads for a book conversion, it will be faster for you to allow calibre to run multiple jobs
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Yep2, it will be faster
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullahir View Post

But yes, would it go faster, one at a time?
I found the default settings too aggressive for not a lot of gain, so mine are

Priority Low,
Max .... jobs 1,
Limit to ...cores unchecked

On a 'quick' conversion the difference between 15secs and 20secs is insignificant, on a 'slow' conversion then if it means I can do other interactive tasks with adequate response, then I'd prefer it take 30 minutes rather than 20.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote