Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Pocketbook with Pearl Screen

Hi

I am looking for a Reader with Pearl Screen. I love the Pocketbook's firmware and hack. But a pearl screen is superior too. So my question is if there is an upcoming version of Pocketbook with Pearl screen. When will it be available?

Thanks
Mimosa
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Don't hold your breath.

As we approach the first anniversary of the introduction of the Pearl screens, there are exactly two companies with access to those panels:
- Amazon, which has no trouble getting all the screens they need, even for their ad-and-deals supported model
- Sony which seemingly has no trouble getting all the screens they need as long as they're *not* in a size Amazon uses.

Given that Amazon clearly has first dibs on Pearl screen supplies *and* that they are selling about a million kindles a month and sales are growing as they expand globally, the odds are low that enough 6 or 10 inch Pearl screens will be available for anybody to launch a new pearl-driven product this year.
After all, one would hardly expect eInk to be offering the screens to other vendors while Sony, their number three customer, is facing shortages for their inmet PRS-650 demand.

As to Pocketbook, one could argue they have enough on their plate launching and supporting their existing products without adding a whole new product line. Switching to a Pearl display is *not* a matter of just replacing a Vizplex panel with a Pearl panel, the entire product has to be reengineered.

If you absolutely *must* have a Pearl Screen, get a Kindle and hack it. Last I heard, there are two versions of FBReader running on it. It voids the warranty, of course, but that is as close are you're likely to get to a Pearl-based Pocketbook this year.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Onyx now has access to Pearl displays
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
The new PB 360 specifies only Vizplex screens, so I don't think Pearl will be a big issue this year, maybe next...
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
According to some sources, also Prestigio eBook Reader PER5162B and PER5162W (same HW, black or white color) has Pearl e-ink. I have seen one unit and it really might have been pearl.
Prestigio is a decent reader but nowhere near PocketBook in terms of configurability.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Onyx now has access to Pearl displays
Sounds promising.
Shipping in volume or projected?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post
I am looking for a Reader with Pearl Screen. I love the Pocketbook's firmware and hack. But a pearl screen is superior too. So my question is if there is an upcoming version of Pocketbook with Pearl screen. When will it be available?
I have an early Kindle 2 with a screen slighty better than average among early K2s. I find its screen not quite good enough in ambient light that is even slightly dim. And even in good light, the text is not quite dark enough, maybe because of the font.

I got a Pocketbook 360 late last year. I find its screen good enough in almost all light conditions that ink on paper would be readable. I like the screen much more than my K2 screen. Its default font also makes up some for the lack of a Pearl screen (in my experience and opinion).

A Pearl screen would be better still, but the PB 360 has several unique or rare features that make it stand out.

The space and weight efficient snap on hard cover is very nice. It also snaps onto the back while the PB 360 is in use.

The PB 360 is also much more pocketable than most other readers and it is thin, small,
and light enough to not cause discomfort while pocketed.

The PB 360 is equally ergonomic in protrait or landscape and with the controls on ritght or left or top or bottom.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:59 PM   #8
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
Don't take this as a recommendation to buy a pocketbook device, they have much to improve before I can do that.
From what I can tell of reviews read, the difference isn't remarkable visually and the biggest difference is the refresh speed, which I find is good enough for reading on my PB602.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
It's sad. I actually own a PB 360 and briefly owned a PRS 350 with Pearl Screen. It's a huge difference in term of screen contrast and quality. Don't get me wrong, I still love my PB 360 for its configurability, but until PB get the new pearl screen, I won't rush to get another one. Maybe I'll get a PRS 650 or 950 then. Very sad!
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:08 AM   #10
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post
It's sad. I actually own a PB 360 and briefly owned a PRS 350 with Pearl Screen. It's a huge difference in term of screen contrast and quality. Don't get me wrong, I still love my PB 360 for its configurability, but until PB get the new pearl screen, I won't rush to get another one. Maybe I'll get a PRS 650 or 950 then. Very sad!
In my opinion, pocket book will soon introduce a new line of models all with Pearl screen... since now this is almost the standard. About the new version of pocket book 360, it will be called pocketbook 360 plus, that will be soon available
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=127353&page=8

and very probably it will have a pearl screen, since in this famous experiment

http://www.slashgear.com/pocketbook-...ideo-07144892/

the screen seems to be a pearl screen.

"What’s most impressive is the refresh rate; apparently the Pocketbook 360 Plus uses E Ink’s latest Pearl display and a new Freescale processor, which together do away with the flashing black screen we usually associate with ereaders."

Last edited by Shinra tensei; 05-03-2011 at 04:14 AM.
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:31 AM   #11
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
[360 Plus]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinra tensei View Post
and very probably it will have a pearl screen
No, it won't.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #12
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
[360 Plus]

No, it won't.
i have checked and it seems you are right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utGk3sIncGU

It doesn't seem a Pearl screen (otherwise it would be written on the release notes).
However here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOPZr...eature=related
it does... probably is a prototype.
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #13
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Poppaea found the specifications of the PB 360 plus somewhere (don't know where) and there it says Display is Vizplex V 1.0, while pearl is 2.0.
Maybe she reads this and can give the source
Old 05-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #14
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=28
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #15
troll05
Harmless idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
That's it! THX