Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
Sony pulls the plug on Walkman

Sony announced Friday that it would stop producing walkmans introduced in 1979.

I thought they were not being produced already!

I still remember my first Sony walkman and have many great fond memories of it. It really did cause a revolution in the way and the amount of music i listened. Mix-tapes, auto-reverse, bulky hearphones... all you fault Mr walkman.

Got any fond memories of the device?
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I remember getting one that had the cassette player AND a built in FM radio!! I was so impressed with myself!! I think it fell of my belt one day while riding my bike and I ran it over
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
hernep
Enthusiast
hernep began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story, iPad 2
i never got real walkman but had couple of clones as well. It was just amazing! I could record one lp to one c-cassette and listen it everywhere! one thing has changed though, i would not draw any band logos on my ipod touch with permanent ink. Back in the 80s that was cool to have ac/dc logo on it
hernep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
It's a sad day! My first walkman from Sony was semi-waterproof. It was like state of the art, and I was probably the proudest kid in my town.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I recall my teenage years. Doing my paper round with my Walkman on, blasting out 'Eye of the Tiger'. Boy, was I cool
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
So did anyone have a TPS-L2? It was the first model.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=TPS-L2
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I still own a bright yellow Walkman Sports with FM Radio. It works but it's so heavy that I haven't used it in years.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post

No, but my son had (has) a transformer that looked like one.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #9
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
My last Walkman had auto reverse. I thought that was the greatest invention, ever!!
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post

Yes - it's sitting behind me on the dresser (covered in dust now) - and I don't even want to think about what I paid for it new!
Still works. Last used it years ago after Hurricane Fran knocked out our power for 6 weeks.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:30 PM   #11
tennoel
Enthusiast
tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-300
I still have one that I use for books on tape that I find at garage sales or used book stores.
tennoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
lol .. this thread brings back fond memories of the good old days.

I had one with auto reverse and dolby noise reduction.

The grand kids laugh at my radio cassette player in the car, when i pick them up they come equipped with their favourite music CD's to play on the way, and to their utter amazement they discover Nan still has one with a cassette player in it, i offer them some of my cassette music to listen to, for some strange reason they always decline and opt for the radio ....
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I still own a bright yellow Walkman Sports with FM Radio. It works but it's so heavy that I haven't used it in years.
Yup. That was mine. I adored it. I had the first Walkman Sports that was more waterproof than its successors. And I had the one with the solar panel on one side. _Fond_ memories!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	walkman-sports-82.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	60214   Click image for larger version

Name:	wm-f107.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	60215  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:31 AM   #14
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Ah, the walkman.... it was the first present my brother every bought for me by himself. He never remembered my birthday, and this time he did- brought home a bag from Venture (the local store) that still had the receipt in it, and a brand-new walkman. What an awesome present!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:14 AM   #15
rty
Zealot
rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle DXG, Kindle Paperwhite
"Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated"
rty is offline   Reply With Quote