Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 04-02-2007, 04:07 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat
Could you explain to me what would be a point of uploading RTFs?
Well, to be fair, most of the PG books are plain text, and a nicely formatted RTF with proper formatting is certainly a "value added" thing compared with the PG original. The only question is where it should be uploaded to - this forum or (because it's not device-specific) a general "any device" upload forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:20 AM   #17
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
What does PG stand for?

I thought that the sites mentioned above have RTFs. Sorry, my mistake. I didn't really download there anything because I am reading fantasy only, which is copyright material
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:30 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry. PG = "Project Gutenberg"; the biggest source of public domain books. See:

http://www.gutenberg.org

Sites like "manybooks" get most of their stuff from PG, but they only have a tiny fraction of what PG offers.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:55 AM   #19
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Sorry. PG = "Project Gutenberg"; the biggest source of public domain books. See:

http://www.gutenberg.org

Sites like "manybooks" get most of their stuff from PG, but they only have a tiny fraction of what PG offers.
Thanks
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:08 AM   #20
friendly
Banned
friendly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 / iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat
Could you explain to me what would be a point of uploading RTFs?
There are planty of websites(such as blackmask, manybooks, baen etc.) that are professionals in this particular subject. I think that uploading only books for device-specific books would be useful. Maybe I don't understand something?
I completely agree with Harry. There are more things between two covers than the mentioned websites offer as RTFs. And believe it or don't believe it, there are even some strange people using a strange language (German) who don't get nicely formatted RTFs from the above mentioned pages, but from the German section of "Gutenberg" and those files are text files and not properly formatted RTFs.
Friedhlem
friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:53 PM   #21
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Harvard Classics series to be added to MobileRead

I will be publishing the Harvard Classics series in LRF format.

I have already collected the majority of the raw files and have found sources for the remaining raw files.

Due to the nature of the work, the volumes will be published out of sequence. I apologize in advance for any discomfort that this may cause anyone.

All suggestions are welcome.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:03 PM   #22
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You're a machine, RWood, a total machine.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:31 PM   #23
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
You're a machine, RWood, a total machine.
I am not R. Daneel Olivaw (aka Eto Demerzel.) But thanks for the compliment. The HC series will not come all at once and may very well take over a year to complete.

There are still some questions to be answered:
1. Are all volumes to be published complete or in sections?
2. If complete volumes do we use a master TOC or a main and section TOC?
3. What cover art? Unique for each volume/section?
4. Will Bob Russell keep his printed copy of the HC or will he fully convert to the electronic version and sell/dispose of the printed version?
5. Will anyone read them?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:29 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
I will be publishing the Harvard Classics series in LRF format.

I have already collected the majority of the raw files and have found sources for the remaining raw files.

Due to the nature of the work, the volumes will be published out of sequence. I apologize in advance for any discomfort that this may cause anyone.

All suggestions are welcome.
Do you mean the "Loeb" stuff? Where are the files available from, as a matter of interest? I get my Latin and Greek texts from "Perseus".

I'm sure that such things, by their very nature, have a rather restricted audience, but I'm certainly extremely interested!
Old 04-04-2007, 02:46 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
There are still some questions to be answered:

1. Are all volumes to be published complete or in sections?
My personal preference would be for complete volumes.

Quote:
2. If complete volumes do we use a master TOC or a main and section TOC?
Have you looked at any of the books I've uploaded? I've settled on having a "Book Index" at the start, with each entry in that leading to a contents page for that book. I think that works very well, and is better than having to wade through pages of TOC at the start.

I'll leave the other questions for other people to answer .
Old 04-04-2007, 02:54 AM   #26
RWood
Technogeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Do you mean the "Loeb" stuff? Where are the files available from, as a matter of interest? I get my Latin and Greek texts from "Perseus".

I'm sure that such things, by their very nature, have a rather restricted audience, but I'm certainly extremely interested!
This is not the Loeb material. There was an earlier thread about it. It is a 50+ volume set designed just before World War I. It is all in English with a very American slant.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:00 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Ah, thank you for the clarification. I haven't come across this at all, I must admit! Sorry, whenever anyone mentions "Harvard" I automatically think of their "Loeb" series (to me the word "classics" means "Greek and Latin"), but I'm sure they must publish all sorts of other things too .

That sounds fascinating - I look forward to reading it.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:34 PM   #28
Pensketch
Pensketch began at the beginning.

Hello all. I'm brand new to the forums and reasonably new to owning a Sony Reader; just got it on Tuesday.

I'm also one of those poor bastards that only has a Mac, and not even an Intel Mac at that, so I feel quite limited in what I can actually do with the Reader.

For the last couple days I've been browsing the forums learning what I can, and I know I have far more to learn. I finally checked this area and downloaded everything you've offered so far. You're my hero Harry! Do you have plans to collect Tarzan? Or are there reasons you can't?

First a question. Is there a Mac equivalent to Book Designer? Or would it be possible to run it in Virtual PC?

Next, a suggestion. I understand the desire to keep RTF files out of this section, since it is likely that it would be flooded and there are already many sites out there that offer RTF versions of books – obviously of varying quality. I also know that you are all working on your own projects, converting the books that you want to convert. But how about making a thread where someone who doesn't have Book Designer or know how to make a well formatted LRF file could upload a RTF file of the book they would like to see converted? Then someone who knows what they are doing, provided they have the time and interest, could take the RTF file and run with it. Upload the final LRF file and then delete the request. If I ever find a way to get Book Designer working and learn my way around it, I'll be willing to pitch in as well.
For myself, I would love to see all of the Oz books collected the way that Harry did the Burroughs books.
Pensketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:46 PM   #29
lint
Enthusiast
lint has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader
Ill be working on some obscure stuff:

An Island to Oneself - Tom Neale
THE SMOKY GOD (A Voyage to the Inner World) - Willis George Emerson
We Met The Space People (The Story of the Mitchell Sisters) - Helen & Betty Mitchell

-lint
lint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensketch
For the last couple days I've been browsing the forums learning what I can, and I know I have far more to learn. I finally checked this area and downloaded everything you've offered so far. You're my hero Harry! Do you have plans to collect Tarzan? Or are there reasons you can't?
Delighted you're enjoying the books. They take quite a long time to do (about 6h work for each of the "Haggard" volumes, for example) but I'm primarily doing it for my own benefit, so if other people enjoy them too, that's just a bonus!

I do plan to do the "Tarzan" books shortly. I have them all (all the ones that ERB wrote, that is), and I will get around to doing them - promise. There's just so much I want to do .

Quote:
First a question. Is there a Mac equivalent to Book Designer? Or would it be possible to run it in Virtual PC?
I certainly can't think of any reason it shouldn't run in Virtual PC. One thought - if you're serious about this stuff, why not consider buying a cheap 2nd hand PC for doing it on? The hardware requirements are minimal, and you could buy a machine very cheaply indeed which would be more than adequate for it.

Quote:
Next, a suggestion. I understand the desire to keep RTF files out of this section, since it is likely that it would be flooded and there are already many sites out there that offer RTF versions of books – obviously of varying quality. I also know that you are all working on your own projects, converting the books that you want to convert. But how about making a thread where someone who doesn't have Book Designer or know how to make a well formatted LRF file could upload a RTF file of the book they would like to see converted? Then someone who knows what they are doing, provided they have the time and interest, could take the RTF file and run with it. Upload the final LRF file and then delete the request. If I ever find a way to get Book Designer working and learn my way around it, I'll be willing to pitch in as well.
For myself, I would love to see all of the Oz books collected the way that Harry did the Burroughs books.
You could always ask, but I suspect that those of us who are actively creating books are pursuing our own interests at present. There's a lot of us who have only "discovered" Book Designer in the last few weeks, and I know that, speaking personally, I have a virtually limitless list of books I'd like to do nice versions of for the Reader. So many books, so little time...