Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #16
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Two features that are must-haves for me are SD card storage (mainly for music) and HDMI out (to stream videos to TV). I already have a 7" tablet so I'm not in the market to buy, but if I wanted a small tablet and didn't need SD card/HDMI, I would purchase the Nexus 7!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #17
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Two features that are must-haves for me are SD card storage (mainly for music) and HDMI out (to stream videos to TV). I already have a 7" tablet so I'm not in the market to buy, but if I wanted a small tablet and didn't need SD card/HDMI, I would purchase the Nexus 7!
Why would you want a port that probably costs .35 in parts to stream video to your TV when you could buy a $300 Nexus Q and use your uber-powerful tegra 3 quad core cpu and 12 core GPU tablet as ... a remote control?

The Asus Nexus 7 is based on the Asus 370t announced in January. Other than hdmi and the microsd, and a front camera instead of a back camera, everything else seems to have survived intact. Digitimes reported maybe a week ago that Asus still had a non-Nexus tablet in the works to ship in August, and the 370t itself went through the FCC a month ago.

The Nexus 7 is impressive, my snark above notwithstanding, but I'm hopeful I could get the whole package, even if it did cost more. I'd pay $300 for the 370t, especially if it could dock with a transformer keyboard, and still feel like I got a deal. I'd be willing to wait until August to buy, but I'm sick of waiting to find out if they're actually gonna release the thing or not. Google had their day Asus, time to show your cards. Fast. You got anything else or not?
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #18
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I have so many streaming possibilities that this is not a big one for me. I can stream over WiFi to my TV, I have a streaming device hooked to my computer, and so forth. If I were a road warrior, I might feel differently.

Right now I am very glad that I live in the one area code in Canada that can use Google Voice. I have a GV account and it is what I routinely use for long distance from my home and when using my cell phone.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #19
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Excellent news. One thing that's pretty obvious. Prices of tablets will fall so much that in a few years it'll become a very cheap commodity.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:06 AM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Is the Nexus 7 a baby Transformer?

Hmmm... I wonder why Google chose - "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" - as the free movie they bundled with it?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 05:57 AM   #21
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
It's got a micro USB socket - does that mean you could attach external USB storage? Do current Android devices do this?
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #22
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
It's got a micro USB socket - does that mean you could attach external USB storage? Do current Android devices do this?
With an adapter, yes. Jelly Bean should have support built in.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
With an adapter, yes. Jelly Bean should have support built in.
Are you sure about that? USB client and USB host capabilities are different things. Very few USB clients (devices that you plug into a PC) can act as a USB host (have USB sticks plugged into them). What makes you say that this device will have USB host capabilities? Some tablets do indeed have it (Samsung do, for example), but why do you believe that the Nexus will?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #24
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Hmmm... I wonder why Google chose - "Transformers: Dark of the Moon" - as the free movie they bundled with it?
Because they want to make sure no Transformers fan will ever want to buy the device, of course. :P
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #25
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
No SDHC no sale. Another miss...
Yeah, my husband and I were oohing and ahhing until we got to that part.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Yeah, my husband and I were oohing and ahhing until we got to that part.
I've recently bought the 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. I was worried that I may have made the wrong choice, but the lack of an SD card slot on the Nexus is a show-stopper for me; the Samsung was the right choice for my needs.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #27
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I am debating whether to return my Kobo Vox. I like the Vox a lot but can't get Netflix working on in. The Nexus specs say it is a bit lighter too, but I am not sure how much lighter it will feel in the real world given the numbers we are dealing with here (it's like 50 grams lighter?) I keep changing my mind! I have one more week to return the Vox...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #28
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you sure about that? USB client and USB host capabilities are different things. Very few USB clients (devices that you plug into a PC) can act as a USB host (have USB sticks plugged into them). What makes you say that this device will have USB host capabilities? Some tablets do indeed have it (Samsung do, for example), but why do you believe that the Nexus will?
Honestly, I thought that USB hosting was available since Honeycomb. Some tablets had issues with it and the manufacturers disabled it in software. But my understanding was that ICS and JB have it built in and available without rooting.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
Honestly, I thought that USB hosting was available since Honeycomb. Some tablets had issues with it and the manufacturers disabled it in software. But my understanding was that ICS and JB have it built in and available without rooting.
My point was that it requires hardware support - it's not merely a software issue.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #30
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My point was that it requires hardware support - it's not merely a software issue.
I do believe the Nexus 7 has USB OTG support. It just doesn't have a full-size USB port so you need a USB OTG cable.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, google, nexus, tablet