Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 05:45 AM   #1
zhouluyi
zhouluyi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch Owners, Help Me!

Hi there,
Long story short, I accidentaly deleted the 'tts' folder on my new Kindle Touch and now Text-to-Speech just gives and error when I try to use it. I suspect that this folder contained the voices for TTS to work.

Can some helpful Kindle Touch owner help me sending the files on their TTS folder so that I can replace them on my Kindle Touch?

Old 12-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
sucah
Connoisseur
sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sucah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, KT 3G, KPW, Odyssey HD, T1, 350, Glo, Mini, Aura HD, KPW2 3G
Try to do a factory reset first, if this can't solve the problem I will send the files.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
zhouluyi

I already did the factory reset and it recreated the documents, music, audible and system folder, but not the tts folder.

If you could send me the folder zipped I be very grateful, I will send you my e-mail via PM.

Also, I would like to make a warning to any people thinking of doing a factory reset on the risk of losing the tts folder, I can't confirm it would do that, but a factory reset on my Kindle removed ALL my content (I didn't have the tts folder when I tried).
Old 12-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhouluyi View Post
I already did the factory reset and it recreated the documents, music, audible and system folder, but not the tts folder.

If you could send me the folder zipped I be very grateful, I will send you my e-mail via PM.

Also, I would like to make a warning to any people thinking of doing a factory reset on the risk of losing the tts folder, I can't confirm it would do that, but a factory reset on my Kindle removed ALL my content (I didn't have the tts folder when I tried).
I would download the current software from Amazon's page, sideload it onto your Kindle and then choose menu-> update.

I realize you already have the current software version but it should restore the TTS folder without deleting your stuff.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
zhouluyi

@mewmartigan, already checked, there is no update available for Touch. I'm waiting for sucah to send me the files, after that I will report if it indeed worked.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
@mewmartigan, already checked, there is no update available for Touch. I'm waiting for sucah to send me the files, after that I will report if it indeed worked.
ah, good call. Hope the files work for ya!
Old 12-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:

For the benefit of others reading this thread, are you SURE you performed a factory reset (Home=> Settings=> Menu=> Reset to Factory Defaults) and not a soft reset (Hold power button down for at least 20 seconds and release)?

I find it hard to believe that a factory reset did not resolve your problem as the files you mention are part of the firmware.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Yeah, the fact that the factory reset didn't work is surprising. The factory reset should be solving these types of problems.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
zhouluyi

@Skydog, yes, I'm completely sure, actually I performed a new one just this morning to post the result in another forum. Here is what happens when I do a factory reset:

1) Everything is deleted;
2) The visible folders audible, documents and music are recreated.
3) The hidden folder system is recreated.
4) The Kindle User Guide is copied to the documents folder.
5) Since the Kindle re-starts with the User Guide opened, in the system folders the files for its thumbnail and search indexes are created.

No tts folder anywhere.

I still haven't received the files from sucah (I guess he hadn't the chance of sending them yet), so if anyone (that have the files) want me to test it right now I'm online for the next four hours...
Old 12-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #10
zhouluyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
You have to do it manually...
what?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #11
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I knew this would happen to somebody. Yes, on the touch the tts files are stored on the USB drive. No, you cannot get it back if you delete it. Factory reset or not. You should call amazon up and see if they can email you the files.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
This is somewhat of a design flaw that a user could just mount it as a drive and delete some system files that's unrecoverable...

Anyway, sent you the link for my Touch's TTS folder, it should work.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
This comes to mind, if it is not broke, do not fix it. And also if you do not know what it is do not fold spindle mutilate or delete anything.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I suspect the tts folder is 'open' so that other languages can be added when internationalization features come to Kindle Touch. Amazon CS may have some way to push these files to a given device, so I'd start with them.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #15
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
I knew this would happen to somebody. Yes, on the touch the tts files are stored on the USB drive. No, you cannot get it back if you delete it. Factory reset or not. You should call amazon up and see if they can email you the files.
Thanks for that info, I am going to backup my files now to make sure I have a copy of them in case I "accidentally" delete any of them.
Closed Thread