Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
MrZehl
Happy Reader
MrZehl began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
BeBook bricked?

My BeBook (v3ext) was running one of the release candidates of 0.2. Internal memory was reformatted already in this version.
I tried to upgrade to 0.2.1 butted the install stopped at step 4 updating parser app. I started the update again: same result.

So I reformatted my SD card and tried again. But now the firmware update didn't even start: invalid file. I did try this with another download: same result. I tried another SD card: same result. Tried also the 0.2 and the latest daily build: same result. I can't get any firmware update to start.
I also tried to get the file on the card on different computers.

So... did I brick my BeBook or does someone has any idea how to get it working again. I hope so. I don't have the original firmware and I think it won't work anyway because the internal memory has been reformatted. I don't have a clue to restore that.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZehl View Post
My BeBook (v3ext) was running one of the release candidates of 0.2. Internal memory was reformatted already in this version.
I tried to upgrade to 0.2.1 butted the install stopped at step 4 updating parser app. I started the update again: same result.

So I reformatted my SD card and tried again. But now the firmware update didn't even start: invalid file. I did try this with another download: same result. I tried another SD card: same result. Tried also the 0.2 and the latest daily build: same result. I can't get any firmware update to start.
I also tried to get the file on the card on different computers.

So... did I brick my BeBook or does someone has any idea how to get it working again. I hope so. I don't have the original firmware and I think it won't work anyway because the internal memory has been reformatted. I don't have a clue to restore that.
Your only problem is an SD card that can not be read by the bootloader. Your Hanlin V3 (BeBook) is not bricked, but will be useless until you successfully complete a firmware installation. The OI installation guide gives a detailed explanation for getting an SD card set up correctly for firmware installation.
http://openinkpot.org/wiki/0.2/InstallationGuide
Old 08-24-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
MrZehl
Happy Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Your only problem is an SD card that can not be read by the bootloader. Your Hanlin V3 (BeBook) is not bricked, but will be useless until you successfully complete a firmware installation. The OI installation guide gives a detailed explanation for getting an SD card set up correctly for firmware installation.
http://openinkpot.org/wiki/0.2/InstallationGuide
That is exactly what I did. Before I reformatted the installation hung several times. With that card I've installed openinkpot more than once. Never had a problem with it. Until now.

Since this wasn't going to work I reformatted the SD card as FAT16 but since then the installation won't start at all.
I don't know why my BeBook can't read the card. On the card is one primary FAT16 partition. I did this on Ubuntu and also Windows. Both refuse to work. I tried different cards, different firmwares and formatting on different computers and OSes. What is left to do?

Why can't my BeBook read the file?

BTW... both are 1GB cards, one from Transcend and one from SanDisk.

Last edited by MrZehl; 08-24-2010 at 08:46 AM. Reason: added info about SD cards
Old 08-24-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why can't my BeBook read the file?
That is a good question, because your problem is one of the MOST common problem discussed on the BeBook website's own user forum. However, the solution is ALWAYS the same. You need to get a working card. Another thing that you *might* try is to do a proper SD format, since Windows definitely does a disk format and not an SD format and I suspect Ubuntu also does a disk format instead of an SD format? For Windows, you can get an SD formatting tool from the SD Association.
http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/
The only other solution that I can think of is to try some different SD cards. It also helps to have your BeBook plugged into a USB charger during updates to ensure that there is a very good power supply voltage for the installation process.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
MrZehl
Happy Reader

Quote:
For Windows, you can get an SD formatting tool from the SD Association.
http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/
That would be a nice addition to the installation manual. It worked. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
That would be a nice addition to the installation manual. It worked. Thanks.
You are welcome. The Installation Guide Wiki can be updated by users, so I took your suggestion and added a sentence to the installation instructions that indicates the SDcard.org tool is available for Windows users.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:33 AM   #7
MrZehl
Happy Reader

Now it's really bricked. It fell off the couch.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #8
yecam
Enthusiast
yecam began at the beginning.

Did the screen crack? If not, try reseating both your SD card and the battery. If it did crack you might be deciding between the cost of a repair or the cost of purchasing a new device.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
MrZehl
Happy Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by yecam View Post
Did the screen crack? If not, try reseating both your SD card and the battery. If it did crack you might be deciding between the cost of a repair or the cost of purchasing a new device.
The screen turned black for 2/3 when I refreshed it and it stayed that way. I disassembled the BeBook to see if something got loose. But after that the working bottom part of the screen turned zebra after resetting. So the screen is not broken, at least not cracked, but some contacts probably are. I can recognize the openinkpot startup screen in the after resetting in the lines that are still working so I guess it's some contacts between the PCB and the screen. Well.. actually on the board or in the screen. But I can't fix it.

I guess I have to buy a new device.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
yecam
Enthusiast
yecam began at the beginning.

Since you are relatively lose to BeBook it would certainly pay you to contact them to see about repairs VS purchasing a new unit.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Since you are relatively lose to BeBook it would certainly pay you to contact them to see about repairs VS purchasing a new unit.
Last year I wasn't certain whether I had a broken screen or not, so I sent it back to them. They apparently lost it and only found it three months later -- then told me the screen was broken! I bought a Pocketbook instead and have been happy as a clam ever since.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #12
MrZehl
Happy Reader

Quote:
Replacing the PCB costs 50 euro, replacing the screen 125. I already bought a as good as new secondhand BeBook Mini for 90 euro. I continued the book I was reading on my HTC Desire and with the right setting its doable on an AMOLED screen (Black background, grey text), but it wasn't of course as good as an eInk screen. But it's far better than reading from LCD.
And still I couldn't wait to have a replacement ereader.
I like the Mini even better. It's a sort of rubberish material that feels nice, smaller, faster and with an extra page turn switch on the side. The only bad thing is: no OI yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Last year I wasn't certain whether I had a broken screen or not, so I sent it back to them. They apparently lost it and only found it three months later -- then told me the screen was broken! I bought a Pocketbook instead and have been happy as a clam ever since.
That's also the Hanlin V5 as is the BeBook, isn't it? It's great. Since there is no OI yet for this ereader, what is the best firmware currently available?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #13
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
That's also the Hanlin V5 as is the BeBook, isn't it?
No, the PocketBook is from a different manufacturer.
http://www.pocketbookreader.com/
Quote:
It's great. Since there is no OI yet for this ereader, what is the best firmware currently available?
IMHO, New update of 22 June 2010. from Lbook.
http://www.lbook.ua/ru/downloads/firmwarev5
If you do not read Russian you will need something like Google Translate to read that web page.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:33 AM   #14
MrZehl
Happy Reader

Quote:
IMHO, New update of 22 June 2010. from Lbook.
http://www.lbook.ua/ru/downloads/firmwarev5
If you do not read Russian you will need something like Google Translate to read that web page.
Hmm.. my Russian is as good as my Chinese and my Swahili.
So when I install it.. everything will be default in Russian?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #15
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
So when I install it.. everything will be default in Russian?
I have had it so long that I have forgotten, but I do know that it is really simple to select the language that you want. After startup, you push the big OK/MENU key and select item #6 in the popup menu. Language is the second selection on that menu page (it is also written as language in that menu item), and from there it gives you four pages of possible languages to select from. English is on the first page, and if you want Dutch it is on the third page.

Tags
bebook, install