Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 03:01 PM   #31
Anny
Anny began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ebook Reader
Would you advise using different directories on the PC for Calibre & Sony Library or putting ebooks into the same one?
Anny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:14 PM   #32
eljacob
eljacob began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
I don't think you can keep then in the same directory, as each software keeps it's own structure.

I don't know where and how Sony keeps it's files, and I didn't find an option to change it.

Calibre lets you choose where to store your files, and it uses a very simple and logic structure, creating a folder for each author, and a sub-folder for each book with one file for each format.
eljacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 08:27 PM   #33
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
Hi Igorsk, do you buy books from the Sony store? I see you have several devices. What is your take on my original question (on top of thread)? Thanks.
Reason I ask again, (more opinion) because of different answers...
Im not Igorsk, but I routinely use both sony software and calibre to download files to my reader. I think there could be problems if both are running at the same time.

If you have "bought" the freebies in question, you should be able to download them at anytime even if you did delete them.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:27 PM   #34
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny View Post
Would you advise using different directories on the PC for Calibre & Sony Library or putting ebooks into the same one?
Calibre creates its own library with its own copies of books you add to it. You should leave that library alone and not commingle it with the Sony library. But the sources files can be anywhere. For example, I keep most of my source files in My Documents > My Ebooks. My Calibre Library folder is a subfolder of that one. So anytime I download books I put them first in My Documents > My Ebooks. Then if I want to add them to the Calibre Library, I do that, and Calibre makes its own copies, named in a standard fashion from the metadata, and stored in the Calibre Library folder.

The Sony Library puts books in My Documents > eBooks. You can add those to Calibre, too, and they'll be duplicated in the Calibre Library. Except now they'll have comprehensible filenames, instead of weird, indecipherable names.

The source files stay right where they are, and don't get changed at all by this process.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #35
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
The Sony Library puts books in My Documents > eBooks. You can add those to Calibre, too, and they'll be duplicated in the Calibre Library. Except now they'll have comprehensible filenames, instead of weird, indecipherable names.
This depends. If you buy an ebook from Sony and download it, then Sony software will put it in "c:\My Documents\My Books\eBook Library". But, if you add an ebook to the sony software it will not move the ebook. It will just link to it where it is. So, if you later move or rename this file then Sony software will loose it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #36
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
This depends. If you buy an ebook from Sony and download it, then Sony software will put it in "c:\My Documents\My Books\eBook Library". But, if you add an ebook to the sony software it will not move the ebook. It will just link to it where it is. So, if you later move or rename this file then Sony software will loose it.

BOb
Yes, sorry, that's what I meant. Books purchased from the Sony Store go into that folder. And Bob has the folder location right. I was going by memory, and you can see how good my memory was.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote