Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Safe longterm storage

What is the safest longterm storage for digital files? Is there any research going on to find a format that will really be safe for a long while even if it is read only?
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
M-disc is supposed to be good for 1000 years...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
You mean like PDF vs. ePub vs. mobi? There was another thread on this topic recently. I think it's likely that as long as the internet is available, you should be able to find a converter for any of the currently available file formats.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No I was wondering about physical storage devices. The m-disk sounds good. I might have to buy a burner for a yearly backup of my data.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
The safest long term storage backup is multiple backup drives stored in different locations so if one is damaged or stolen you have not lost the data.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
The safest long term storage media is to replace your updates on a regular basis. Keep an external back up hard drive or USB stick in a safe deposit box, and trade it out regularly. When one dies, replace it with the latest technology. When your computer dies, restore your data files from backups. That way, you're never dependent on old technology.

To be trite about it, proper backups are a journey, not a destination. You are never done with them.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Redundant, constant backups are essential to protecting data. I agree about not being dependent on old technology. I keep my data on my computer's hard drive, a local backup drive, and on Carbonite.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:59 PM   #8
crossi
Guru

How often do you replace your physical drive? I'm worried about data degradation over time. I've heard you start losing data after 5 years or less depending on what you are using for storage.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
How often do you replace your physical drive? I'm worried about data degradation over time. I've heard you start losing data after 5 years or less depending on what you are using for storage.
I replace mine when they die (and they do all go eventually). No sooner than that.

I'd say the oldest working hard drive I have right now is about 7 years old (an external drive that isn't used often).

I have replaced the hard drive in my oldest iMac (from 2007) 3 times already.

I haven't yet replaced the drive in my newest iMac (mid-2011), nor have I replaced the drive in my Macbook Pro (mid-2009). No data problems on either at this time.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:42 AM   #10
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
What is the safest longterm storage for digital files? Is there any research going on to find a format that will really be safe for a long while even if it is read only?
Considering that this is MobileRead, I'm going to assume that you want to back up your ebooks.

The safest way to do so is to buy the matching physical book, and put it on a shelf or in a box. Keep off the floor, so when the room floods (which it only will if you have boxes on the floor) the books don't get wet.

Last edited by murg; 10-11-2014 at 08:36 AM.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:26 AM   #11
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Considering that this is MobileRead, I'm going to assume that you want to back up your ebooks.

The safest way to do so is to but the matching physical book, and put it on a shelf or in a box. Keep off the floor, so when the room floods (which it only will if you have boxes on the floor) the books don't get wet.
So if the book is e-only, you're screwed? Or are books that aren't in print not worth backing up?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #12
crossi
Guru

I was thinking more of something along these lines. Not only for my data but for archival storage of mass data for businesses and government.

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/...e-data-storage.

Won't be available anytime soon, but interesting.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #13
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
No I was wondering about physical storage devices.
Have multiple hard drives, each with a copy of your files, and move to a newer drive and/or storage type every 5-10 years. Just don't wait until stuff starts crapping out in an unrecoverable way, or gets so old that it can't be used on a new computer anymore.

This has worked for me for the last 20 years or so. (Daayuum, I feel like I'm getting old....)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #14
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
When you create the copies, make sure you compare the copies with the originals. I don't know the Kindle formats well enough, but if you are using ePub, the file format is really a zip file and contains checksums so you can readily see if the file is corrupted.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:54 AM   #15
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Transfer using rsync, or DeltaCopy (a Windows front-end for rsync) makes sure files will be transferred uncorrupted.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote