Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
ravengrrl
ravengrrl began at the beginning.

Device: PB 360, Kobo Glo
PB 360 & MacBook Pro

I'm a total new e-reader enthusiast; started with an app on my IPod touch, did the research and decided that I liked the flexibility of the PB 360, the unit arrived yesterday and the questions begin.

I've downloaded calibre, it recognizes my device when I plug in and I've moved books onto my 360 but when I try to eject the device it disappears and pops back whether I try to eject from calibre, finder or desktop. Eventually I have to unplug the USB and get the improper device removal warning. Any suggestions?

Then just a couple (for now....)questions about firmware and updates:

1. Current software version is W101.15.1 Do I need to update to the .2 and is it the same instructions as in the sticky thread regarding firmware updates? (I don't have an SD card as yet...)

2. Should I install fbreader on my Mac and would I then drag and drop that version to the bin folder of the 360? Is that necessary?

3. I assumed that I would have the wrist-action page-turning feature on the 360 when it arrived, but no. Is this difficult to update and does it go in bin or config or some other place?

4. And finally (for now) is there anything else I should be tweaking or can I just get back to my book? I'm grateful for any advice.

and
ravengrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Let's start from the beginning ^^

The issue of Macintosh computers not recognizing Pocketbook's unplugging is something which has been reported by some, so you'll probably get some help. I use Windows, so I can't be of help there.

1. 15.1 was a quite unstable firmware for many, myself included. 15.2 was rock-stable for some, but not for everyone. However, the former firmware version, 14.2, is the golden standard which doesn't hang at all for anyone. Whatever version you choose, I recommend you to change as soon as possible.

2 +3. The wrist-powered page-turning is one of the many feature of FBReader180, which is not the standard FBReader software, but a third party modification, officially unsupported by Pocketbook, but loved by the users (and PB itself). To install it in your Mac, you have to follow the instructions of the thread which is located in this subforum.

4. Aside of installing FBReader180 for more customisation capacities, I would just recommend you to honor the purpose of the thing and read until it bleeds... or your eyes do
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
Ah, finally something I think I can help with! On the Mac, if you use Disk Utility to "Unmount" (rather than "Eject") the disk, it will disappear and you won't get the warning when you remove the USB. Don't ask me why! And ditto what Logesman says about the firmware. They shouldn't be sending out anything but 14.2 in my opinion, until they get 15.x stabilized.
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
ravengrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
Ah, finally something I think I can help with! On the Mac, if you use Disk Utility to "Unmount" (rather than "Eject") the disk, it will disappear and you won't get the warning when you remove the USB. Don't ask me why! And ditto what Logesman says about the firmware. They shouldn't be sending out anything but 14.2 in my opinion, until they get 15.x stabilized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman;
1. 15.1 was a quite unstable firmware for many, myself included. 15.2 was rock-stable for some, but not for everyone. However, the former firmware version, 14.2, is the golden standard which doesn't hang at all for anyone. Whatever version you choose, I recommend you to change as soon as possible.
Yay! "Unmount Disc" in Disc Utility works.

I don't have a miniSD card yet so I will wait for that before I do the firmware update so that I can follow all the instructions. I tried doing the update with the reader only but I couldn't find the "root dir" to copy the firmware to, and the device detected no firmware...... so I must be doing something wrong.

Still, I can read which is the main thing. I'm loving my PB360 and this most helpful forum of kindred spirits.

Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I tried doing the update with the reader only but I couldn't find the "root dir" to copy the firmware to, and the device detected no firmware...... so I must be doing something wrong.
The "root directory" is just the "USB stick" which is the reader, so to say. For example, say that your Pocketbook is recognized by your device as a USB stick, and it's called Pocket101 (G: ). The only thing you must do is download the ZIP file with the update, decompress it, and send it right on the (G: ) disk. That means, you don't need to put it in any folder, just shove it in the Pocketbook.
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 01:40 AM   #6
ravengrrl

Cool. So much simpler than I thought.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
Logseman
Orisa

How did it go for you?
Old 07-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
ravengrrl

Success! I managed to install 14.2 without having a microSD card and it's working fine. I'm watching the firmware thread for updates on the new improved version but for now I'm good to go. And I'm remembering to un-mount the disc image instead of ejecting (most of the time....;-)

Thanks again. It's great to find such a helpful community of gadget and reading enthusiasts.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:15 AM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravengrrl View Post
Success! I managed to install 14.2 without having a microSD card and it's working fine. I'm watching the firmware thread for updates on the new improved version but for now I'm good to go. And I'm remembering to un-mount the disc image instead of ejecting (most of the time....;-)

Thanks again. It's great to find such a helpful community of gadget and reading enthusiasts.
There is now a beta of the 15.2 in a much more stable version.*It is still in test stage so, should be out quite soon now.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote