Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 11-25-2006, 04:05 AM   #1
chieh
chieh began at the beginning.

Smile A new thin and handy e-ink ebook device STAReBOOK

I would like to introduce a new e-ink ebook device.

The STAReBOOK’s STK-101 series has very small and exquisite size.

Its thickness is only 8mm, which equals 50 pages of traditional books and the weight is 176g, which is very convenient for carrying.

The screen is applied 6 inches e-INK panel.

This kind of e-INK technology successfully solves the problem of tiredness of eyes after the long-time reading.

Please refer to the following page,
www.stareread.com/en/reader.html
chieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 05:14 AM   #2
raevyn1
Connoisseur
raevyn1 doesn't litterraevyn1 doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony Reader, Treo 755p, Palm T|X
URL error in above post. Try http://www.stareread.com/en/

Interesting device, I'd like to know more. I didn't see anything about availability or pricing. It seems to be aimed initially at Chinese language readers throughout the world, but device can handle other languages (English anyway) if their bookstore is anything to go by.
raevyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2006, 05:25 AM   #3
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by chieh
Its thickness is only 8mm, which equals 50 pages of traditional books and the weight is 176g, which is very convenient for carrying.

The screen is applied 6 inches e-INK panel.
Interesting, but the facts are a bit sparse on the web site.
What formats does it support?
How does it connect to your PC?
It would be nice to know what OS it runs to know how (or whether) we can expand its functionality.

They have a proprietary eBook format they are pushing called STK which are "... files composed by JPG and TXT content." (an HTML-like format?) which is only supported under Microsoft products as far as creating content.

Checking other sites, I see:
http://knowsomethingcool.blogspot.co...ins-crowd.html
"The STAReBOOK (you just can't stop saying it) uses a proprietary eBook format (known as STK) but is apparently built to accept-- and maybe even convert?-- other types of files, as it has a built-in mono speaker in the back, an SD slot, a headphone jack, and USB 2.0, so there's probably some media formats that will play/display on the unit. It sports a 250MHz Samsung processor and 64MB of SDRAM."

"Priced higher than the Sony and Panny jobs at $440..."

Strike 1: proprietary eBook format.
Strike 2: more expensive.
Strike 3: fewer features (mono speaker - useless for MP3 playing)

For me, it's out.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
chieh, please use the forum search before advertising for your new reader. You'd have come up with this link:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8059
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:48 AM   #5
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Sounds like a device that will never make it to anywhere outside China...especially if there is so little information about it.

Why can't companies learn that the essential purpose of a website is to provide information to potential customers?
And the price...I don't think there is any justification for this thing to be more expensive than the Hanlins or the Sony Reader. The design is nice, but what about stability...how well does that slime frame protect the eink screen???
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2006, 10:18 PM   #6
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
Sounds like a device that will never make it to anywhere outside China...especially if there is so little information about it.

Why can't companies learn that the essential purpose of a website is to provide information to potential customers?
And the price...I don't think there is any justification for this thing to be more expensive than the Hanlins or the Sony Reader. The design is nice, but what about stability...how well does that slime frame protect the eink screen???
If it uses Titanium-alloy, then its no worry.

You are right on the lack of info. Most importantly, the lack of pricing or purchase info is self-defeating.

On the other hand, not everyone has the muscles of established MNCs with local business units to sell through local channels.
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:48 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
According to http://knowsomethingcool.blogspot.co...ins-crowd.html the price will be $440.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:03 PM   #8
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
According to http://knowsomethingcool.blogspot.co...ins-crowd.html the price will be $440.
RWood, check their source

I think $440 is way too much. To succeed, it would have to be way superior to the Sony Reader or a lot cheaper.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:07 AM   #9
chieh

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
RWood, check their source

I think $440 is way too much. To succeed, it would have to be way superior to the Sony Reader or a lot cheaper.

The End User price is USD 420, if only think about the h/w, it's a little bit higher, but, after you buy the device, you can search and download the ebook (in stk format) in www.isoshu.com, and it's all free...

Dont have to buy any books in the future, think about you purchase a car, and dont have to pay the fuel for future....

You know, Sony ebook content is around USD 15 each....
Old 11-28-2006, 12:05 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
The hardback ones are, yeah, but (aside from ones they seem to have trouble keeping up with the price drops on) the paperback ones are around $6.

Interesting site, unfortunately even the "English" version is still mostly Chinese text.

How do you give away books for free like that? Are they all Public Domain? Or is your company absorbing the cost of the books? Doesn't seem like a good business model to me.

(note: yes, I'm being naïve on purpose)
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:20 AM   #11
chieh

http://book.isoshu.com/class.php?pid=243
The link in isoshu.com, you can find a lot of free English books.
Just buy a device, and enjoy all free books.
sweet.....
Old 11-30-2006, 04:40 AM   #12
Sexy_Turkey
Sexy_Turkey began at the beginning.

Oh!!! so Gorgeous, so slim and so fabulous ! I love its body, and where can I buy it? I do think this brand new ebook device will be the best one in the marketplace now. the most excellent factor is it has its own format, which could support DIY. I reallllllllllllllly want it!!!!

the price i think that would be fine, and I definitely agree with the idea of Chieh's. you can accept the price $340 to buy a thick one, why do not spend a little bit more to have a fashionable one. So funny, isn't it?
Sexy_Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:03 AM   #13
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Quote:
The End User price is USD 420
Not a competitive price. They need to lower it to below the Sony device.

Quote:
if only think about the h/w, it's a little bit higher, but, after you buy the device, you can search and download the ebook (in stk format) in www.isoshu.com, and it's all free...
STK is a closed, proprietary format. Yes, some eBooks are free, but, then, that's all any eBook in a closed, proprietary format is worth.

I have a many, many free eBooks for my iLiad, and they are all in an open format, so when a new device comes out, I can still read them. Unlike the STAReBook.

Quote:
Which is one of the reasons I don't go there to get my eBooks.

For the STAReBook to become successful, they need to:
1. Drop the price of the device. No higher than the Sony device - and only if they change the device to support open formats. If they only support STK, they need to drop the price more.
2. Open the STK format. Release all specs to the public domain and let anyone create an STK creator.

Unless they do both, this device will just be another wannabee and no amount of hype here (is it just me, or has there been a great deal of hype about this device lately?) will change that.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:11 AM   #14
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
http://book.isoshu.com/class.php?pid=243
The link in isoshu.com, you can find a lot of free English books.
Just buy a device, and enjoy all free books.
sweet.....
www.gutenberg.org has more free eBooks - in open formats.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:56 AM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I notice chieh didn't comment on how they could manage to stay in business offering all these books for free....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote