Notices

Old 02-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
kpfeifle
Enthusiast
kpfeifle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300- Kindle 3 (WiFi)
OCR Software Help

Hi All:

I would like to start scanning some magazine articles so that I can load them onto my Sony PRS-300. My needs are not great, I'll be using Sigil to convert the txt documents (and photos) into an Epub book. I looked at some Flatbeds for around $100.00, but since I own a good digital SLR camera, I wanted some information about a software only option. I saw ABBYY FineReader 9.0 Express Edition, for $49.00, but it does not seem to have a trial version of this product. Does anybody use this? Is their anything else I should be looking at? Not looking to spend a ton of money as I will only use this to convert an occasional magazine or newspaper article. Thanks,

Kevin
kpfeifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Abbyy does have a trial:
http://finereader.abbyy.com/trial/
(Well, that's of version 10, but it could still give you an idea.)

Definitely quality software, though I'm a fan of Open Source myself. If you want something free, look at Tesseract or Ocropus.

Last edited by frabjous; 03-01-2010 at 12:07 PM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
I actually get better results with Cuneiform than Ocropus under linux. The link here is to the Windows version, I think. Still, ABBY is the best. If he is willing to pay for it, he shouldn't hesitate what to choose.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Forgot about Cuneiform -- thanks for the reminder. There's a free version for Windows too, isn't there?

Last edited by frabjous; 03-01-2010 at 01:07 PM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I use Abby Finereader Sprint edition 6.0 (downscaled version from the pro) since it came with the scanner I bought, and I have not been disappointed so far.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
kpfeifle
Enthusiast
kpfeifle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300- Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Well, I answered my own question. Cnet had a demo version of 9.0, good for 50 pages and/or 15 days. It was enough for a proof of concept. Took an article from a newspaper (with pictures) and was able to convert it pretty easily. Still had to do some editing, but it was pretty quick. I'll probably end up spending the $50.00 for the software. For the amount of articles I'll process (not many), this is a very cost effective solution!

-Kevin
kpfeifle is offline   Reply With Quote