Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-06-2009, 05:23 AM   #1
rjh4242
Enthusiast
rjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Marvin 3 on iPad/iPhone
Unhappy HTML to Mobi - quotes gone?

When converting HTML books into Mobi format, all single and double quotation marks seem to disappear. This makes it very hard to read conversations etc! Have I missed an option somewhere to make sure this doesn't happen? The HTML is just a normal HTML page, and shows all the quotation marks fine, but the Mobi output has nothing, not even a space where the quotations marks were. Please advise!

rjh4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Don't really know the answer, but sometimes when I'm having difficulty getting a file to convert how I want it to I convert it to a different format and then go to my desired format. For example maybe try converting to EPUB and then convert the EPUB to MOBI. Don't know if it'll work, just a suggestion.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
How did you code your quotes? Did you use HTML encoding for it? (“ or & #8220; for example). I prefer to replace all my higher ascii codes with HTML characters.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
rjh4242
Enthusiast
rjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheeserjh4242 can extract oil from cheese

Actually, it's not the conversion, it's the import of HTML into calibre

Thanks for your replies.

I have done some more investigation. The original HTML file just has standard quotation marks: " or '. No ASCII codes.

However, in checking this out, I discovered that the HTML file within calibre (within the ZIP) does NOT have the quotation marks.

In other words, it's not the conversion to Mobi, it's the import of the HTML file into calibre that gets rid of the quotation marks.

Any further ideas?
Old 10-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
I had troubles with this but I think it was a UTF-8 vs unicode problem? or smartquotes...
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/user_m...r-smart-quotes
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
rjh4242
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Aha, that explains it. I knew I was missing something. I will experiment and hopefully sort out the html importing based on the FAQ. Thanks for the quick responses everyone.