Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-19-2016, 10:35 AM   #16
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
What's the advantage to either the reader or author of Wattpad over regular self-publishing?
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:40 AM   #17
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
What's the advantage to either the reader or author of Wattpad over regular self-publishing?
I've been wondering that myself. I guess as an author, you know right away if something is or isn't working so you can change it, and it may help to keep some authors focused, knowing that people are expecting new chapters on a regular basis.

As a reader, though, no thanks. I never read serials in the magazines when they did them, and I have no interest in this, either.

I have a very hard time with fan fiction sites for this same reason. I will read stories that are complete, but the ones where people keep adding to it all the time make me crazy.

I know that there are a lot of people who love to read this way, but for me, it just doesn't work.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I have a very hard time with fan fiction sites for this same reason. I will read stories that are complete, but the ones where people keep adding to it all the time make me crazy.
I agree. A novel has to have a clear and satisfying conclusion. If it's goes on forever without reaching a conclusion, it's not a novel at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Wattpad offers another way for readers and authors to hook up. Nothing more, nothing less. Might not be for everyone (and almost guaranteed it was never intended to be).

I use it very little, but when a favorite author uses it for short-stories, or other "between the novels" activities, I'll check it out.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #20
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
A lot of authors use wattpad to develop a story and build a fan base while also selling ebooks elsewhere.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2016, 06:14 PM   #21
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Don't you know? Wattpad is the NEW FRONTIER AND FILLED WITH UNICORNS AND BUCKETS OF GOLD!!! Just write a story and BAM, you'll earn so much money...

Because as we all know, that is how reality really works.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:16 PM   #22
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I went and had a look - signed up ages ago but haven't been back since. My word, there's an awful lot of One-Direction fanfic isn't there?!

I guess once you find an author you like it could be good. Not sure I'd have the patience to do that.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:15 AM   #23
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not really. What if it was a transcription of an in-person or phone interview with her? Typos belong to the people who type them--not to the people who speak words that are pronounced similarly to others that are spelled differently.

To me, it's much more reasonable to assume that Techvibe botched it, than to believe that Spense said it wrong.
If nothing else, the blog controls what goes on the website. It has an obligation to edit the statement and correct this error.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #24
Xianxia
Zealot
Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: phone
Maybe Patreon integration isn't needed if Wattpad can do it in-house.

Something like this:

Readers can buy 10 Virtual Gold Coin for $10

You can do a monthly vote for your favorite author with 1 GC = 1 vote.

(taking a page from Chinese web novel site Qidian that have the popular monthly votes ranking)

This ranking could serve as a Discovery Tool.

Top 100 Monthly Votes for Romance
Top 100 Monthly Votes for Fantasy etc...

This monthly vote is both a donation system and a voting system combined into one. It has been proven a huge hit with Chinese readers and a boon for authors.
Xianxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:04 AM   #25
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
I thought Wattpad was trying to cash in on promote more of this type of behavior, in its target markets:

297 million Chinese read web novels in 2015 (think Wattpad but much bigger)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xianxia View Post
http://www.wsj.com/articles/online-f...rce-1469035251

excerpt:

It's too bad that piracy is HUGE in China. Otherwise, earnings from web novels would be a lot bigger.

Qidian is charging about $0.01 - $0.02 per chapter (about 2000 words).

That doesn't seem a lot in term of royalties but it add up really quick when you have tens of millions of readers. The top earning web author is making 110 million yuan a year (about $16.7 million USD in royalties).
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:57 AM   #26
Xianxia
Zealot
Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xianxia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: phone
It looks like a lot of authors are invited so Wattpad is ramping up

https://www.wattpad.com/forums/discu...haring-program
List of Authors who are participating in Wattpad ad-revenue sharing program
Xianxia is offline   Reply With Quote