Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
RotAnal
Connoisseur
RotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Blank pages on some pdf read with M92

Dear Sirs,
I have noticed that within the pdf reader some few pages of some ebooks are surprisingly not displayed at all with my M92, while few others are partially displayed. If I turn pages forwards or backwards, the page counter increases, but the screen keeps on showing blank pages until a dozen pages thereafter I can see the text. The direct goto page command also points to the blank one or even, wrongly, elsewhere.
I also noticed that this occurs after some reading sessions. In some respects, it seems that the pdf "deteriorates" with time. The only way I have been finding in fixing the trouble, is replacing the book in the reader with a fresh copy from my PC. Besides being quite annoying, so done I am also afraid I lose all the important annotations collected in between. Is there some way to workaround this problem or at least to replace an ebook without losing the precious glyphs?
I have updated the firmware to last decade of april, 2013 with no result at this respect.
Thanks so much for the attention
RotAnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
May be a problem of margins and zoom.
Try to reset the margin "Page settings/Clear Margins" and to reset the Zoom : set the view to the page size.

When you charge a new copy of the file, you reset all this values.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
RotAnal
Connoisseur
RotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheese

Dear Randy11,
I tried what you suggested me but with no result, unfortunately.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I had this problem with scanned pdf and certain zoom values. More specificaly. If the zoom was too high, some pges were blank others not. Selection of properzoom value helped to solve the problem.

My guess is the problem has something to do with unsufficient memory size...
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
RotAnal
Connoisseur

Thanks, Mono, for your suggestion!
However, I got a large SD card (mostly empty), and therefore there is no problem at all with memory size. As regards zooming, I tried several combinations with no results.
Last but not least, the book was not a scanned one.
Advert
Old 05-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotAnal View Post
and therefore there is no problem at all with memory size.
memory size here means RAM size.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:29 AM   #7
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
I was thinking that if this is a memory exhausted issue....we can spot out opening a usb console and launching a top/free while browsing such a document.
It's maybe possible (for some better hacker than me)
to try to mount a swap file located either on the main memory or on the external sd.
I just tried but didn't found the mkswap command (and then i would not be able to pack the thing in an application)
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

I meant ideed Ram memory. Maybe the page is too complex or something like that. Could you upload it somewhere? Booxtor might test it. I had problems only with scanned documents. Also, even if it seems to you it is not scanned there might be a invisible picture on background included.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I was thinking that if this is a memory exhausted issue....we can spot out opening a usb console and launching a top/free while browsing such a document.
It's maybe possible (for some better hacker than me)
to try to mount a swap file located either on the main memory or on the external sd.
I just tried but didn't found the mkswap command (and then i would not be able to pack the thing in an application)
i managed to temporary add some swap as extra memory like this.
1) connect using the usb cable as root using
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...89&postcount=5
2) create a 512 mega swap file using the command
dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/flash/swapfile bs=1024 count=524288

/media/flash is where files in internal memory are normalli stored
3) prepare the swap file with the command

busybox mkswap /media/flash/swapfile

4) add it with the command

/sbin/swapon /media/flash/swapfile

Would be nice to have an example of such a big file to see if Mono's assumption is correct.

Last edited by underscore; 05-14-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
Mono
Mono

I do not think the problem is with big file. I read big files without problems. The problem might be with rendering certain pages of big or small file. I had problems with certain scanned documents. Some pages rendered blank, others in the same document were readable. Solution was to do proper setting of margins and propper zoom. In that case all pges became visible. So my feeling is it has something to do with memory available or size of buffers is exhausted...
Old 05-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I encountered this problem too
Old 06-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
geoek
Enthusiast
geoek began at the beginning.

Here are 4 pdf that i cannot read on my M92 :
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ycdzxox2xikn9nm/XlOUfGAqSy

They come from a french website (www.siteduzero) of tutorials, and you can download them in pdf (free) or epub (not free).
First pages are ok but after about 10 pages, all is blank except the header. I try several settings (page, marge...) but i cannot solve the problem. I also try Calibre to convert file but i cannot obtain a good result. What can i do ?
geoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #13
underscore
Addict

Thank you for the examples.
I can see that my normal m92 got the same issues on it with the 1.7 megabyte one.
I'm curious to see if the problem get solved adding some extra swap file like i suggested above in the thread.
I will try this evening and come back
Old 06-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
Feher
Addict

I modified your pdfs and they are working now : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9k2x1rz146f0llg/8r4PUF2sGM

I have been facing this problem too and found one solution : I resize the pdfs (say from 100% to 101% or 99%) and they read fine. I do this in foxit advanced pdf editor.
Pdfs converted by amateur softwares cause this problem. The pdf files submitted by you are made by "wkhtmltopdf". Calibre converted pdfs have similar errors. I am now going to learn bits of css to convert my pdfs in a better way.

One more thing - the text in the pdfs is clipped from many pages. (Look at page 24 or 498 of "10601-apprenez-a-programmer-en-java" and compare it with the one i gave you; there were other pages too and they were in all the 4 files). This text will be unclipped automatically by foxit pdf editor. But it is unclipped only till the boundary of page i.e. some text could be missing ..if you wish to recover that text there is one more lengthy procedure.

P.S. The files converted by these softwares may show errors with dictionary as in selecting a whole line instead of a word etc. I wish to convert my epubs into pdf and it seems i will need to learn css properly to do so

Last edited by Feher; 06-03-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
underscore
Addict

thank Feher for the analysis.
Definitely adding ram does not work with geoek 's files.